1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Brady done with severe knee injury

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by thech0senone, Sep 7, 2008.

1. thech0senone

thech0senone Contributing Member

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is expected to miss the rest of the 2008 season with what two sources described as a severe injury to his left knee, suffered in the first quarter of the Pats’ 17-10 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs at Gillette Stadium Sunday.

While New England coach Bill Belichick said in his postgame press conference that he had no update on the status of Brady’s injury, a source close to the quarterback indicated it involved serious damage to the knee. That could include a torn anterior cruciate ligament and perhaps other ligament and cartilage damage.

“It’s bad,” a team source said. “We’re going to have to play without him.”

Brady was hurt as he stepped up in the pocket to make a throw to wideout Randy Moss. Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard, who was on the ground, lunged forward and struck Brady’s leg, which buckled as he released the ball.

Brady was helped off the field and was later led down a staircase by team officials, presumably to undergo tests.

Fourth-year quarterback Matt Cassel, who had thrown just 39 passes in his career before Sunday, replaced Brady and completed 13 of 18 passes for 152 yards and a touchdown. Cassel, who backed up Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at USC, hasn’t been a starting quarterback since high school. He won a competition with Matt Gutierrez during the preseason to retain the job as Brady’s primary backup.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...=ms-bradyoutforyear090708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. RedRaiderRocket

Great he was my first pick on my fantasy team.

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Ouch. Well, bye bye playoffs for New England.

And too bad for all those people who drafted Tom Brady in the first round...

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Holy crap. Wow. Cullpepper comes back and has an MVP season. Cullpepper to Moss all over again.

5. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Wow...that's terrible. So much for the Patriots!

6. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

PREDICTION - Patriots will still win the division.

7. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

You don't walk off the field with a torn ACL and cartilage. Looked like a sprained knee or sprained ligament. I bet he's back within 3 weeks.

8. thech0senone

thech0senone Contributing Member

Yeah I didn't think it would be too serious either because I saw him walk off the field so I guess we'll have to wait for the official word.

9. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

You can def walk with a torn ACL. I dont buy that hes done for the season for sure...but I wouldnt rule out significant ligament damage.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

how sad.

looks like its a gonna be a long season of clipboard holding and supermodel sex for him.

:rolleyes:

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah you can. Brady has a really high pain threshold, and players have walked on torn ACLs before. It's different from an Achilles injury -- the type where you can't.

I think the Patriots still have enough, assuming Moss stays committed, to make a playoff push with Cassel -- though obviously they're not contenders. There's some celebrating in Pittsburgh and Indianapolis tonight.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Never had a torn ACL (thank goodness) so I can't really comment on if you can walk with torn ACL or not.

But that sucks for New England, not that I am crying for them, but Brady makes that team go.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

DAMNIT!!!!!

14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Someone should get the Chiefs defensive lineman an award for doing what he did, albeit a year late. I think it was Glenn Dorsey but I'm not too sure.

( I actually like Brady off the field and as a person apart from the moynahan-baby brady thing, I just hate the Patsies).

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

alot of people walk off the field after tearing ligaments, i've never torn or ligament or broken a bone but its really two different things

16. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

until this becomes official, i'm just going to assume we'll see brady suiting up next week.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the most interesting thing in that article, matt cassel was both leinart and plamer's back up and hadn't played in a game since high school.

usc has gone from rb university to qb university

18. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

you can hate the team, but to celebrate anyones injury? and to give an award to the person who did it? pretty classless.

19. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

I agree, whether its possible to walk off the field or not, I just don't buy it. It didn't look that bad. I don't think he'll be back next week,but i don't thinkits that severe.

maybe its some sneaky plan by belichick to trick people into thinking they're done.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Biggio tore his ACL and MCL in a collision at 2nd base and he walked off the field.