1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Bill Worrell being pushed out by Rockets organization

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Aug 18, 2016.

1. bmd

bmd Member

I'm a fan of old guys broadcasting games. They often have a bunch of stories that they like to tell on the air, and it's fun to listen to. They've also seen a lot, so I like their perspective on things.

Also, I don't mind the homer-ism. Some of you seem to have this idea that the local broadcast announcer has to be objective like a national announcer for ESPN or TNT.

That's not true.

It is perfectly acceptable for the local home team announcer to be a homer. It is only bad form to bash players from the other team. And Bill doesn't do that.

People like Zach Lowe don't like homer local announcers because they are trying to watch as an objective observer, and they don't like hearing biased announcing. But the announcing isn't geared towards Zach Lowe. It's the local feed... it's geared towards Rockets' fans.

So Zach Lowe complaining about it is really just him being self-centered.

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more; Bill deserves much better.

I also agree with ATW that this info should not have come out. Sickens me to be honest.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Agree. I believe Worrell and the TEAM would look waaay better with Calvin or a STRONG 2nd guy. Worrell still would have declined like he has, but would have slowed his exit

Rockets announcing TEAM is rated low. Its the SUM of the parts. Its the PARTS (Drexler) that brings it down.

It almost is similar to the Rockets team. Worrell isnt Harden level, but you have a flawed Harden and if the others arent playing their offensive roles not playing D and the coaching is bad its gonna reflect bad on Harden too. Thats how its been on Worrell for YEEAARS

#143 Shroopy2, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  4. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I've said before but I really don't get the hang-ups about the Rockets announcers being homers. Maybe I've had bad luck but every time I've heard another team's announcers they've been quite a bit more biased than the Rockets guys. At least Bill and the guys actually criticize the Rockets and give credit to the opponents for playing well. Try listening to a Wizards broadcast sometime - I think the last time the Wizards committed a foul or lost a fair game was around 1973 or so.

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

probably the right move... but as usual done in a totally classless fashion by the organization...

6. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

I don't think of Les in terms of wanting to save money. Les wants a global team image, and Worrell has seen his prime days. Listening to our TV announcers, all are homers, but Bull does some analytics. Time for a tune up, and I will miss Bill - maybe. The surveys on broadcasters by team no doubt has played a role in the move.

7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Well that sux.

Maybe they're tired of him cutting the post-game talk short cuz his bladah iz full.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Keeping it quiet isn't for Bill, it is for the Rockets. They probably gave him a package to keep him quiet. Screw Les.

9. Remlap

Remlap Member

I'm a BIG fan of Calvin the basketball player.
    Calvin the commentator? Not so much
    His voice is to the ears as Rosie O'Donnelly is to the eyes.

He's knowledgeable about the game and all, but I can't
    take 3 hours of his voice for 82 games.

I know he was radio, but Gene Peterson had that voice that could keep
    you enthralled in a game without even watching it.
    Bill W as well, to some degree. His voice and style are easy to listen to.

But very few have a true announcer voice. And that's what we need.

Sorry Murph.

10. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

That's messed up tbh. I kind of wish Les would sell the team

11. KevinMchale

KevinMchale Member

Can we get some new unis since we are changing everything?

12. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

someone need to tell Les he isn't young either
    we need a younger owner

13. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Once again this organization continues to show their unwillingness to hold onto talent and sacrifices chemistry.

14. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Once again this organization continues to show their unwillingness to hold onto talent and sacrifices chemistry.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Somebody tell Les he's not going younger. He is going older and older. And his breath is not fresh. :p

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You beat me to it. :)

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

So can we all agree now that Leslie is not a great owner, a sleazeball and a big piece of **** who treats people like **** whenever he wants and he thinks about himself, i.e. not about the fans or anybody else, making moves to fill his pockets?

18. GetThatLight

GetThatLight Member

no dont agree with this. know for sure that he cares about fan experience

thats clearly why theyre transitioning away from worrell

dont know why people have it in their heads that hes firing worrell since les cold and doesnt like the guy or because hes getting paid too much

les has retained worrell for over 20 years so its not like this is a personal or preference thing and theyre talking about moving on because quite honestly its time to have that discussion

and before cyberx broke this it was going to be done as respectfully as possible for worrell versus the trump treatment

19. bmd

bmd Member

How was this done in classless fashion??

I mean, what is the "classy" way to handle it?

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bill's talent right now as maybe the same or worse than Hakeem's when he demanded to be a starter or traded.

Bill wasn't very good at broadcasting anymore and people here thing just because he's old and had been here long enough he should get rewarded for it.

Welcome to 2016. This is reality.