1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Bill Worrell being pushed out by Rockets organization

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You clearly missed my inference that you could call a game. I never said you couldn't. In fact, you'd probably do OK, aside from calling Williams DMo from time to time. I said that after you got over being star struck (and you would be), Clyde would start to wear you down, just like he's been wearing Bill down, in my opinion. Geez, you're sensitive. Oh, and I don't believe for a second that it would be easy.

jbasket likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Bill has earned the right to retire whenever he feels he is ready. He doesn't need to be pushed out.

jbasket and Deckard like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

@DaDakota does have a decent radio voice - if you remember his DD-rocket-megacast youtubes he used to do.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

We'd like to see your audition tape. Thanks.

5. DeathStar

DeathStar Member

I was watching the pregame broadcast before the final game of the regular season. Bill was standing in between Bull and Clyde while holding a microphone. Bill was holding the microphone with both hands in order to keep it from shaking around. Hell, he was fighting it like it was a python. I don't believe Bill is being "pushed" out. The guy is old and his health is probably starting to fail him.

It's been a pleasure to grow up watching Rockets games and listen to Bill call them. Bill is a true Houstonian and Rocket for LIFE!

THANKS, BILL!!!!

6. Pete the Cheat

Some would say he has a face for radio as well

IBTL, RasaqBoi and Torn n Frayed like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Star struck? I have never been star struck in my life, I don't believe in that crap, in hollywood or in sports, people are people.....Have worked with and met many stars, they are no more impressive than meeting you in real life.

You may think it is not easy, but for me it is....I used to call the college games on the radio at SWTSU back in the day, emulated Gene Peterson.

I have had an internet YouTube show for more than 5 years with more than 200 episodes, it is very off the cuff - would love to call the Rockets games and whup Morey's butt at Ping Pong - all my serves he would hit right into the net....

:)

But alas I gave up my Sportscasting career nearly 30 years ago because the pay was so crappy. I had thought of a new style of broadcasting games...but I may want to do that as a venture someday.

As for Bill - LOVE HIM, but it is time for him to go - he needs to leave before it gets any worse, and PEOPLE HATE change, but this is for the best....and the next generation to step in....

ZING! :)

DD

#307 DaDakota, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  8. Purp8585

Purp8585 Member

Clyde should retire as well. No need for 3 announcers doing home games

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Clyde did retire..thats why he sounds like a 94 year old grandpa.

It's all been kind of a big mix up.

Purp8585 likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There is no doubt that Clyde is terrible, and Bill is slipping, Matt is ok, but he is more of a funny 2nd commentator, IMHO, you should have a lead announcer, a good color commentator that gives real insights and a funny man like Bull.

DD

Purp8585 likes this.
  11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

bull is a "funny man"? Ya, and I'm dating scarlett johansson. :D

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

What I wouldn't give for Rockets to hire Bill Walton for all their games. He used to be awesome on NBC.

Bill Walton (Knowledgeable and hilarious) and Clyde Drexler (clueless and hilarious).

What a team!

Make it happen!

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

And with such humility!

Zboy likes this.
  14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Yes, the ginger legend could regale us with tales of blazing on L with Jerry & the Dead while Clyde could stand by speechless, slacked jawed and confused...

Zboy likes this.