1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Texans plan to cut Andre Johnson if he refuses pay cut

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by joeson332, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotChandlerParsons

I won't blame him at all when he leaves. This franchise has wasted the man's entire career.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

2nd fastest to 10,000 receptions
    6th fastest to 10,000 yards
    7 Pro Bowls
    4 All Pro selections (2 first team)
    2 times led the league in rec yards

These accomplishments aren't going away and will probably help him get in the hall of fame. I wouldn't call that a waste.

3. NotChandlerParsons

Right, because he's a hall of fame quality player, he was able to succeed in spite of the lack of competitiveness and good management from this team for most of his career. Just my viewpoint.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't disagree. He did the best with what he had and his best was very good Also, the team not having a capable #2 receiver meant he got more throws his way. When Schaub was having his probowl year, so was he. Daniels was the only other player with good production.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The offenses were geared towards getting Andre the ball...very likely, if he was on other teams, he would not have put up the reception and yards numbers he put up as a Texan.

Let's not be so blind here.

6. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

If he played with a Brady/manning/Rodgers/rivers his TDs would easily be over 100 by now.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Huh? Kubiaks offense emphasized the run a lot.

Andre was just plain awesome by standard or advanced metrics. Only knock is the TD bumbers

8. NotChandlerParsons

Hang on let me text Andre and ask him whether he'd rather have regular season numbers of postseason success.

9. NotChandlerParsons

Just to be clear, he's one of my favorite players and I hope he gets into the HOF. I'm crusty with the Texans, not him.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He can still win a super bowl this year

11. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. BleedsRocketRed

I think we may have seen AJ80's last game in a Texans uniform.

So sad

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If McNair let's Andre go, then I'll have no faith in him as an owner.

The guy is the first franchise player we've ever had. He's not done by any means. I have no doubt he'll take something of a pay cut, as he's done year after year. He's not a diva. He's just as valuable as a mentor as a receiver.

Hell, if he's in a wheelchair next year, you still keep him.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If AJ is back next season at his current salary I'll have no faith in McNair as an owner.

15. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

this x 10000

people don't recognize the worth AJ has to this team.

Watt is a beast, but AJ is a legend. It's a shame he didn't have a decent QB throwing to him all these years.

If I'm McNair, I'm doing my best to convince AJ to take a paycut and see him retire as a Texan.

Easily my favorite Houston athlete after Hakeem.

I just can't see him in another uni.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Do you guys not realize that there's a salary cap in the NFL?

If you guys love Dre so much, that you are willing to cut multiple players to the detriment of the team to keep him than OK, I for one am not.

I love everything he has done, but the cap is a b****, big paycut or he's got to go.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't mean at current salary, necessarily. I'm saying, you take the pay cut he is willing to take and leave it at that. You count your lucky stars your team has a guy like that.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It depends on what pay cut he's willing to take. Cutting it by a million or two won't cut it. He'd have to take like half as much as he's scheduled to make in order to be worth keeping around. If he's not willing to do what it takes.....well thanks for the memories and have fun wherever you land.

19. BleedsRocketRed

While I understand that AJ has a emotional bond to this team, his current salary relative to his production is not worth the money. From a team and business perspective, he has to take a cut. We cant let our emotional judgement cloud our view of what the situation is. I know we all love AJ80 for what he has done, but in the end what needs to be done is good, and fair, for both parties.

I think AJ still has value, and is still a threat out there that can be our no. 1 receiver that opposing defenses have to pay attention to. Depending on our QB situation, and what B'OB has/can do QB wise, I think AJ will have a successful season neat year.

20. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

no one here is arguing that we should keep him at the salary he's at...

we are all advocating for him to try and take a paycut

a guy like that is priceless to this franchise...the tandem of hopkins/johnson can make noise imo with mallet at the helm...

i think AJ didn't perform as well as he should've due to the holdout...but I think this team will be on board next year

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.