1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Source: Gary Kubiak's job in serious jeopardy

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Nov 12, 2013.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This is what happens when you get rid of your long tenured, glue guy, blocking receiver....

[​IMG]

Battle fight.

1 person likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

He's missed on so many picks outside of the 1st round and these signings he and his assistance GM have made are really going to bite us in the butt cap wise.

That being said, he's also signed through 2016, so I'm really sure if he goes.

4. Nook

Nook Member

That is the $175,000,000 (Shaub/Cushing/Foster/Reed) question isn't it?

1 person likes this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The responses in this thread are Exhibit "A" to my Motion For Summary Judgment On Why I Keep Coming Back to Clutchfans

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

justtxyank has full credibility in my book, but assuming this is true, it represents a radical departure in how Bob McNair has gone about doing business the past decade. It would be an extremely welcome change if so.

I do suspect that Rick Smith is generally behind this and expects to stay on. IIRC, he leveraged a bit of a power play the last time Kubiak found himself on the hot seat (6-10 year that brought in Phillips). This overall doesn't feel like a McNair-driven move, and I can't shake the fact that Smith is godfather to one of McNair's grandkids. The front office leak to the media plainly designed to throw the coaches under the bus and deflect GM responsibility for the draft disaster also seems to fit into that.

Do I have any confidence at all in Rick Smith righting the ship as a GM/President power type? Noooope.

Besides, you generally see two types of regime changes: bring in a high authority coach who wants a yes-man GM or bring in a power Pres/GM type that wants to hire his own coach. There's almost no way a coach on par with Gruden or Cowher would agree to come here to work under Rick Smith and have limited say in personnel.

I wanted Kubiak gone after the 6 win season (and really, before). I'm very concerned at this point if we don't see a total, complete housecleaning. Leave Phillips as coach? Leave Smith as GM? Either one of those moves is setting us up for disaster.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

^^ Rick Smith was hired by Kubiak and has, IMO, sucked at his job worse.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Very encouraging, but the fact that this team has the Raiders, Jaguars and Jaguars for three of its next four games is a serious downer. Hope Bob doesn't fall for the "we've turned it around!" trap, and/or that the Patriots and Broncos smack them back down in December.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Would rather keep Kubiak than Smith.

10. MadMax

Honestly, I don't see how you can keep either one of those guys.

11. justtxyank

Why thank you.

Agreed. I even joked that the stroke was going to make it hard to fire him and was told specifically that the only thing the stroke did was guarantee him the season.

12. DonnyMost

Kubiak's fate is 100% in the hands of this guy....

[​IMG]

13. justtxyank

Nope.

I agree, but I also echo the sentiment of emjohn that I REALLY struggle to see Bob getting rid of Smith. However much you think Bob likes Kubiak, he likes Smith more.

14. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

why do Texans stuff show up in the Rockets forum? then it gets moved.

15. justtxyank

Did I post it in the Rockets forum?

I swear I was in the Texans forum.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Of course neither should stay but if we're choosing one...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> front office a bit frustrated with Kubiak/coaches (4-10 in last 14). Coaches have too much draft input, keep stars on field too long</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/399592512933101568">November 10, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No matter this report or the OP's report, if to be believed, Kubiak is in trouble (and not necessarily Smith).

17. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

doesnt sound like anything revealing...i think Kubiak is gone too..kinda obvious.

18. MadMax

love that guy

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Which is a real shame.

1 person likes this.
  20. DonnyMost

[​IMG]