1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Chance Dwight comes to Houston growing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 9, 2013.

1. basketballholic

Bima,

Let's assume Dwight commits to Houston. What do you think the chances are of the Lakers asking us for a S&T where we could send them an assett or two, perhaps TROB and Royce....while re-signing Garcia for .... say $10 million annual salary with $1-2 million guaranteed, then trading Garcia to a 3rd team along with cash to pay his guarantee so it's not a S&T to LAL? Obviously if he is going to walk on them, wouldn't they be interested in some sort of deal to net them something of value? And is there anything in the CBA to prevent us from giving Garcia such a contract and trading him to Sacramento or Charlotte or Atlanta with the cash to pay his guarantee to execute a S&T like I described?

2. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I don't want this guy at all. He's drama, chemistry killer and has too many issues and attitude problems. I don't want him! When will this Dwigthmare be over?

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

:p
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Fighton

Fighton Member

i hear you on this. there's something to be said about seeing a team grow in front of your eyes into a contender, as opposed to "buying" a championship, which is what it would be if we were to gut the team in order to go after howard and cp3.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

He's the best center in the NBA, bar none. He makes the Rockets instant contenders, and opens up the team for any number of possibilities moving forward. There's a reason why Morey has laid out all his plans to acquire him. For superstars in the NBA, you move the Earth, and then move it a little more. They're the ones who make this whole thing go.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Who is it on this team that you think can get better enough to where they are on the level of a superstar?

7. basketballholic

I had a dream last night that Asik was standing in the corner just drilling the 3-ball. Don't interrupt it.

8. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Harden

9. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Ha! I love Asik, but your dream should be about him catching passes in traffic. Baby steps.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Besides him?.....

11. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

I wouldn't play Asik and Dwight together at the same time. Both are two big bodies that clog up the paint way too much. I rather see how Jones develops and play Dwight and Jones together. That's a top rank shot blocking combo right there. Let Asik get 30-36 minutes coming off the bench. That way we always have a strong paint presence in games. Think about this year, whenever Asik sits down the defense takes a nose dive. With Dwight and Asik, Rockets will always have a strong defensive big man rolling around the paint.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Parsons and Lin are very suitable 3rd and 4th offensive options. I don't think having three superstars is really necessary. I know the Heat did it but in truthfulness Bosh has kind of reverted into a good role player who can turn it up on any given night. I think Parsons could do the same thing with D-Ho and James.

13. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Take it for what it's worth.
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/donatasmot">donatasmot</a> we heard you were so scared of the Thunder you told coach you didnt want to play!</p>&mdash; surreALEX ⚡ (@surreALEX) <a href="https://twitter.com/surreALEX/status/332905227005095937">May 10, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/donatasmot">donatasmot</a> lol just playing bro. You better be starting next year. Next to D12.</p>&mdash; surreALEX ⚡ (@surreALEX) <a href="https://twitter.com/surreALEX/status/332905856733696001">May 10, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>“@<a href="https://twitter.com/donatasmot">donatasmot</a>: @<a href="https://twitter.com/surrealex">surrealex</a> I know ;-) that's why I'm working” ordering my DMO jersey for next season then.</p>&mdash; surreALEX ⚡ (@surreALEX) <a href="https://twitter.com/surreALEX/status/332906728117116928">May 10, 2013</a></blockquote>

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

In your scenario (with a $60 million cap), let's say you trade T-Rob on draft night for the 22nd pick of the 2013 NBA Draft and select a player you plan to keep. The cap hold for that player will be $1,082,200. If you also decline the option on Garcia and waive Delfino, Brooks, Anderson and Ohlbrecht, then the Rockets will still be a little less than $1 million shy of offering Dwight his "super-max" starting salary. That could be fixed by paying another team to take Royce White's final year off their books. It also could be fixed simply by WAIVING White via the Stretch provision (although it would result in 1/3rd of White's 2013-14 salary being stuck on the books for each of the next three seasons).

No can do. Any sign-and-trade deal must FULLY guarantee the first year's salary (although future seasons could be non-guaranteed), so to S&T Garcia to your suggested contract would require the receiving team to pay Garcia the full $10 million next season. Also, with Garcia's great playoff performance, he may want to cash in this summer and may not agree to a second and third year that are both fully non-guaranteed, even at the expense of a higher first year salary.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Right but like you said we still need that second guy, which some are resenting even at the possibility at DH12.

Most here want to just leave things as is even with the chance at Dwight but there is no one available to fit that second star role on the roster, yet.

3 isn't necessary to win a title but it sure would increase your chances by extreme margins.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Oh, I think DH12 is going to be our second guy and if we don't get him ( I don't know why but I really seem him coming) then I think Kevin Love or LMA will be our second guy in the near future. I don't think we settle for a role player as our next acquisition unless it's a one year rental type of deal. I think we can leave things pretty much the same while getting Dwight. We just need to renounce some rights and trade 1 or 2 of the young power forwards.

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

interesting. Hope we don't give up too much.......

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If it's just Dwight it will not be in a trade. There is no reason for the Rockets to do a sign and trade.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Morey has seemed to echo your sentiment over the past few days in interviews. Both on 790 and 610 he said that there are a select few (assuming at least Dwight and CP3) they are going after, after that there are unlikely trade scenarios(assuming Love and LMA), and then after that there are a slew of guys they are going to look at for 1 year deals to slot in the cap space.

The huge question is though, do they put Josh Smith in that category of "select few" or is he in the third category of players they want to only sign short term to stay flexible for next year?

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Bima,

Let assume that after signing Dwight and trading pieces for a significant 3rd player, the Rockets are right at or around the cap. Could the Rockets sign players like Furkan Aldemir and Sergio Llull, and how could this be structured?

Thanks.