1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sorry, but the Astros are unwatchable...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DILLIGAF, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

You keep jumping back and forth, Mr. Cochrane. I was referring to this season, which was the last thing you mentioned. I'm not arguing they won 86 games, I'm saying that if they have the same run differential this season, they won't win 86 games. Trends are bucked all the time, but the smart money is that it won't happen two seasons in a row.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't know that they're an 86 win team this season. I'm doubtful of that. I'm not here suggesting this is a playoff team.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'll just go ahead and remind everyone that we are only one game worse than the Red Sox so far. Too early to quit on the Stros.

[​IMG]

4. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Yeah but their pitching staff is way better than ours. :p

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

It's early. Way early. Does our pitching look like total garbage? Pretty much. Is our offense struggling? Big Time.

However, we have to remember that it is a 162 game season and we are only 8 games in. Teams go on losing streaks all the time, it just sucks that we started ours out of the gate.

Too early to declare the season a disaster, but we are heading down a slippery slope

6. msn

msn Member

"enlightened," indeed. The more we learn the stupider we become. We gain more knowledge, but we lack the understanding to apply it accurately and thus run around with loads of facts and no accurate truth.

I can manipulate statistics to "prove" nearly anything. As useful and valid and helpful as statistics are, in the wrong hands they only increase ignorance, not enlightenment.

(that was a general observation, Hammer--not directed at you in any respect. You're generally pretty good with your handling of statistics.)

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Generally, advanced statistics are better predictors of a team's future success than the number of games they won in a prior year.

8. msn

msn Member

Agreed! But they have one thing in common with last year's win count: they fail to account for changes to the team's makeup and changes to the other teams in the league.

That said, my old eyes and today's advanced statistics both agree that my favorite team sucks hard. Build on, Mr. Wade!

9. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

That was 100% tongue-in-cheek. I hate smug statheads as much as anyone else.

10. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Member

At least they won't lose today!

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed with everything you said.

I've decided that the reason people, particularly analysts, hate stats is because it prevents them from saying whatever they want. The more advanced statistics get, the less we get to stretch the truth about sports.

With accurate velocity readings you can't fib about how hard a guy throws. Heck, even something simple like .obp has ruined the old "a baseball player who fails 7 out of 10 times is a success" phrase. We are getting better at truly placing numerical values on runs created by defense, baserunning, etc. vs hitters, and I think that makes a lot of people unhappy.

12. MadMax

VORP LIVES!!!!!!!!

13. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Anybody who had any hope for a good season this year wasn't paying attention. They lack pitching and they can't bring anything up from the minors. Just sit back and enjoy the game for the games sake. Eventually they will go on a tear and people will like them again.

I hope they blow up this team and start fresh with some young guys we can get excited about. I think Berkman is done and has no passion for the game anymore and who can blame him. Pence is overated and he's my fav player. Lee is too fat and can't run. Tejada and Pudge are over the hill.

The Geezerstros will not get back to contending until they give up on the now and start planning for the future.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Lee too fat and can't run.. yeah, perfect reason.. get rid of Prince Fielder, David Ortiz, Manny (runs worse and defends worse than Lee), CC Sabathia, etc. etc.

Pence overrated...come on, at least wait until he's not 1 of the 2 bright spots so far. Dude is at .308/.345/.577 so far!

Pudge is over the hill, but that's the kind of contract he was signed to...would you have preferred Towles after what he showed in the spring and last season?

15. Smacktle

Yup and Oswalt is 0-2 DREAM ON YOU HOMER!

16. MadMax

why do you have to be a homer to make his points??

this is where astros talk at clutchfans is now....you're a homer if you don't think this is the worst team ever, full of worthless players.

unless you think they're going .143 the rest of the way, you're a dreamer.

17. Major

Major Member

I guess you couldn't actually respond to any of his points, eh?

18. Smacktle

Yeah and the people who criticize the Astros are a bunch of gonna be jumpin on the bandwagoners/ not true fans unless they bleed brick red.

It works both ways pal.

19. MadMax

No...it's not working that way at all right now. I haven't seen ONE person in these threads suggest seriously the Astros are playoff contenders.

and "'pal"?? really?? you went with pal to close that out??

20. Smacktle

Why do I have to resond to any of his points? The optimist points out all the good points of a 1-7 team. The pessimist points out the bad. I just happen to be a pessimist/ realist about this team.

Sorry to say but Hunter still can't pass up a slider going away making him an average player at best. Lee doesn't pass up any taco stands and between Tejada & Pudge put their salaries together and they both are still expensive geriatric players.

GOD FORBID if anyone criticizes the beloved Astros!