1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sorry, but the Astros are unwatchable...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DILLIGAF, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

It is so unacceptable to watch a team with at the very least, three capable hitters scoring so little runs. Looking back at how many people blamed and huffed at Phil Garner, maybe he was right trying so many things just to keep this team afloat. I really cant lay all the blame on Cooper either when the players aren't hitting, that's out of his control, and the starting pitching was bad to begin with. Maybe things pick up, but that's really unrealistic.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I promise you they're not going to play .143 baseball all season. It's unrealistic to think things won't get better. That doesn't mean they're playoff-bound, but 1-6 is a bad way to start the season. Of course, they started 2-5 the last 2 seasons.

Having said that, if they went 1-6 in June or July, most of you posting here wouldn't even notice.

3. Major

Major Member

If they get to 1-20, I'll be rooting for 1-161 for entertainment value.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Gerry Hunsicker 1995-2004

5. Major

Major Member

What does that have to do with whether the team can win with Drayton as owner? Didn't Drayton hire and manage Hunsicker?

6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

We did well until he became Jerry Jones and thought that he knew more about baseball than the people who know about baseball. Every decision goes through Drayton. Now we make stupid decisions because Drayton is buddies with his favorite players.

The Astros suck and they are going to continue to suck until something is done about the level of talent that we have. That means rebuilding, not "reloading".

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Gerry knew how to work Drayton. Now Drayton does whatever he wants, whether it makes good baseball sense or not.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It certainly makes you wonder if he can make the right decisions going forward. If he can make a dumb string of decisions like fire Hunsicker, hire Purpura, then hire Wade, then you have to wonder how long it will last.

9. MadMax

Hunsicker resigned.

by the way...this team won 86 games last year!!! i know those wins don't count because someone who never played baseball came up with a formula suggesting they shouldn't, but when i click on 2008 standings at mlb.com, I'll be damned if it doesn't say they won 86!!! :eek:

10. Major

Major Member

Sure - but again, I'm not sure the relevance. So you're saying if Drayton hires the right people, we can win with Drayton at the helm, right? That seems to go against the idea that we can't win as long as Drayton is owner. I don't disagree that we need a competent front office to win.

11. Major

Major Member

I don't see why 3 years of bad decisions (and I've been as critical as anybody over the front office since 2007) invalidates 10 years of good decisions, though. I agree he's screwed up recently (though most everyone thought Purpura, trained under Hunsicker, was a good choice at the time). But that just means he's not winning now - not that he's incapable of it.

12. Mr. Clutch

I think you're being overly literal. Of course it's possible that Drayton hires the right people, but it's been a while since he has.

13. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Ah, the 'Mom's Basement' card. Seemingly played less and less in this enlightened day and age, it's still refreshing to see it at a last resort when there is no other argument to be made.

14. Mr. Clutch

Fair enough. Maybe he will turn things around and get us back to those winning years. I just get the feeling he's more "hands on" than our other owners (Les and McNair) and this results in lots of questionable decisions.

15. MadMax

It is the mom's basement card. Absolutely. When you win 86 games and someone with a math formula tells you you didn't really deserve to win 86 games, hell yes that's the response.

And as a fan...if I paid to witness those games, I saw them win them...no matter what the formula said.

16. Major

Major Member

I think the only big mistakes he's had are Purpura and Cooper. I think Hunsicker, Dierker, Garner were all good choices. Wade is still a questionmark - I'd like to know what his long-term plan is. He hasn't turned things around, but it's going to be a multi-year process to do so, and he hasn't really done a lot of harm to the long-term prospects of the team - no unwieldy long-term contracts, no major trades of usable prospects. I think he could have made this year's team better with other changes, but I don't think this team was a playoff contender in either case anyway.

Personally, I would just blow the whole thing up and start over, but I can understand why teams wouldn't want do that.

17. Hammer755

I've never seen anyone try to say they didn't win those games, but that's a fine strawman argument.

18. MadMax

I see your strawman and raise you a strawman, because I never said that ANYONE said they didn't win those games.

I said that they said they didn't deserve to win those games. That they weren't really good enough to win that many games, despite the fact they really did.

And thus, because they really didn't deserve to win 86 games last season, they won't win more than 73-75 this season....

19. Hammer755

And I've never seen you offer any compelling reason to the contrary, other than you seen it with yur own two eyes.

20. MadMax

Yeah, I can't offer any better evidence to suggest that they were worthy of 86 wins than that they ACTUALLY HAD 86 wins. :D

try on the glove, oj