1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sorry, but the Astros are unwatchable...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DILLIGAF, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

but i act like it!

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Seriously, Astro tickets are VERY affordable compared to Rocket/Texans tickets. Come to think of it, Texan tickets are not that bad, but Rocket tickets are INCREDIBLY too expensive.

Astros are always having specials. They had “teacher appreciation” night last week and we got 2 great seats behind 1st base for $20 each. Couple that with me discovering a tiny little $5 parking lot that’s only 2 blocks from the stadium (and right next to a $15 lot), and it makes for a very affordable experience (not counting $$ spent on beer….)

In contrast, the Rockets had the same promotion for the Hornets game earlier this month for my wife’s school district and the cheapest seat they had was $32. And they were in the nosebleeds behind the basket. PLUS, when I called to inquire about them, the sales guy said the only seats left in that price range were in the handicap section and recommended that we get the $42 seats instead, which were still in the nosebleeds, only not behind the basket. I told the guy to just forget it, we’d rather go to an Astros game anyway. Way to bait and switch a bunch of teachers, Rockets. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the rant, just had to get that off my chest. :)

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

dude, that's what i'm saying, it's just gross the price for sporting events. FWIW, it's much worse here, i assure you.

4. right1

right1 Member

I can take my two kids to an Astros game for $9....total.

5. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Member

OK, back to my O.P........ :mad:

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

seriously, if 1 game in 162 does that to you, you really should stop watching all baseball altogether.

7. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Speaking of taking kids, I bought 3 tickets and I have a 3 year old daughter... can she just sit in my lap instead of having to use one of the tickets?

8. msn

msn Member

...or enjoy the ride, which gets smoother after puberty.

9. MadMax

at age 3, they're supposed to have a ticket. you could probably get by, though.

10. MadMax

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gYaSVh9yQam2wavGCYRjBskWH97AD97OHI780

Selig: Yanks and Mets to discuss ticket situation
    By RONALD BLUM – 13 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Bud Selig has noticed those empty seats at the new ballparks in New York, too. Should the Yankees and Mets lower their tickets prices? The commissioner said that's up to them.

Selig said Thursday the teams will discuss the ticket situation. The Yankees declined comment, and the Mets said they weren't thinking about making changes.

Speaking to the Associated Press Sports Editors, Selig said it was not an issue for Major League Baseball to decide, and added he wouldn't make any recommendation.

"They're going to discuss it, and whatever adjustments they want to make, they should make," Selig said. "I wouldn't be presumptuous talking about what they should or shouldn't do."

The Yankees are charging $500-$2,625 for Legends Suite tickets in 25 sections at the new Yankee Stadium in the first nine rows around the infield, an area that contains 1,895 seats.

While those seats were filled for the April 16 opener, they were more than half-empty for the remaining five games on the homestand. Some entire sections were unfilled, but it's possible tickets for other seats were bought by people who didn't attend or spent much time in the three exclusive restaurants and lounges.

The Mets have fewer premium seats near home plate and far lower prices. They are charging an average of $175-$495 for 1,567 seats in the Delta Club, which includes 20 rows between the dugouts.

"Hal Steinbrenner did say a couple of weeks ago that he thought that, you know, they may have overpriced tickets and they'll look at it. Well, good for him," Selig said of the Yankees managing general partner.

"And I know the Wilpons. They're very sensitive about all this," he added of the family that owns the Mets.

11. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Cool, I appreciate the info. :cool:

12. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

see why i'm cynical?

i'll stick with the cyclones.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Carry her as you go through the turnstile.

14. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I'll do that, shes a tiny little girl. She doesn't look like shes 3 because of her size, she takes after her Mom, small and petite.

15. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Member

Did you actually watch last nights game? If you did, did you enjoy it? :rolleyes:

16. MadMax

I didn't enjoy that they lost, but it wasn't exactly digging a ditch, either.

i'm certainly not ready to give up on the team because of it. if you're gonna fluctuate like that from night to night, you picked the wrong sport. the best teams get beat by the worst teams with more frequency on a night to night basis in baseball than any other sport.

17. msn

msn Member

you weren't asking me, but yes. Yes, I did.

Because it's baseball.

Did I enjoy the performance of my favorite team? Hell no.

But baseball is NEVER "unwatchable". Ever.

...for me, anyway.

18. The Drake

The Drake Member

New slogan for the Astros 2009 Season? ;)

19. MadMax

:D that's awesome!

20. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

This is the best advice so far in this thread.

This isn't football, folks. The baseball season lasts about two-thirds of the calendar year. They play 162 games. Even the best teams in the league usually lose about 60-65 games and put up a bunch of stinkers.

There are also powerhouses in baseball unlike any other professional sport due to the lack of a salary cap (how much this impacts the game is a separate discussion).

If you can't stand watching the Astros, don't ever move to Kansas City or Pittsburgh and start rooting for their teams. You'll need clinical help. The Astros have been an above average team for the past decade or so, meaning if you think this is bad, it can get a lot worse. If you are only focusing on this season, you probably just started watching the Astros and didn't get to fully enjoy the most successful period in franchise history.