1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Soriano Claimed by Stros?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketfat, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd imagine the pricetag has gone down a bit. For one thing, they were obviously asking too much at the trading deadline and now that it'd only be a little over a month-plus rental as opposed to two months, they certainly can't ask for the same with a straight face.

2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

If the Astros get Soriano then my guess is they'd do this:

Willy T-CF
    Biggio- 2B
    Berkman- 1B
    Soriano- LF/RF
    Huff- 3B
    Scott- LF/RF
    Everett- SS
    Ausmus- C

Lamb and Ensberg would become the bench. On days we want to stack the lineup with Lefties I would bring in Lamb at 1st, Berkman to the OF and Soriano to 2nd to give Biggio a rest. If we get Soriano, Ensberg becomes the odd man out.

But really some of you people kill me, I can't believe there are people questioning why we would want Soriano (aside from the giving up too much for a possible rental). I guess I just don't understand the argument, of "I don't think we should get him because he may take playing time away from ______", even though he is a better offensive player than probably 7 of the 8 starting positions players we currently have.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If this were to happen, Soriano would most likely go to centerfield.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I just don't see where he fits on this team loaded with outfielders, if you get a Soriono you have to start him....

But over who in the OF? Berkman, Scott, Willy? All of them are doing very well...maybe over Willy....

In the IF....our weaknesses are at SS and 3B.....neither of which he plays.

He doesn't fit.

DD

5. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

hahah thank you.. If he could play center he replaces Willy in a heartbeat.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

so you stick huff at third, berkman at first, scott in right, and soriano can play left - why is this suddenly rocket science?

not that it's gonna happen.

7. rocketlaunch

Maybe over willy? He is better then willy hands down. If their def. is the same caliber in the outfield there is no reason to keep an avg slap hitter on the field for an above average all around player/power hitter

Willy T

AVG .273 | HR 1 | RBI 28 | OBP .325 | SLG .330

Soriano:

AVG .289 | HR 38 | RBI 78 | OBP .363 | SLG .595

#27 rocketlaunch, Aug 18, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Their defense is not the same. Willy has become a very good CF, defensively. Soriano has been acceptable in LF. He could learn to play CF with his speed, but it would take at least as long as it did Willy.

The question the Astros brass has to answer is (not taking into account who they might have to give up)...Is the loss in defense, no matter where he plays, worth the gain in offense? IMO, it depends. At 2B, the answer is most definitely NO. In LF, the answer is certainly yes. In RF, I say no. He doesn't have the arm to keep doubles from turning into triples. In CF, his offense probably does overtake the defensive loss when comparing to Willy T.

It really becomes a matter of who they'd have to give up. It certainly cannot be front line prospects at this time. If they want major leaguers, dangle Lane and/or Tavares. They won't want or need Ensberg with the young and very talented Ryan Zimmerman at 3B. Maybe they take Wandy, too.

9. rocketlaunch

are you sure he doesnt have the arm he has 19 outfield assist this season

10. DaDakota

He is average on defense in the OF, and that is in LF...where we have a guy hitting WELL OVER .400....

DD

11. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

i'm kind of baseball illiterate. i haven't cared much since the 86 debacle.
    could someone clue me into why baseball has a "trade deadline?"
    thanks.

12. leroy

IIRC, Biggio led the league, or was close to it, in assists when he played outfield. What does that tell you?

13. leroy

My guess would be so that teams in contention aren't trading for players on the last day of the season.

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

We'd move Scott to right, Berkman to first and Huff to third and bench Ensberg who still hasn't produced yet.

Although, that might be one of the worst defensive outfields you can get. Taveras is slightly above average but Scott and Soriano are pretty much garbage in the field.

But considering we need offense and defense is way down on the list of priorities right now, Soriano would be helpful, provided we can get him cheap.

15. rocketlaunch

Its hard for me to find any reason not to have someone of sorianos caliber on this team. He is better then everyone in the lineup besides berkman. For half the seaon many people said bench willy for burke because he can hit now its keep willy over soriano it make no sense. I agree willy is a better def. player.. Well so is everett compared to most of the league, but we want to get rid of him for avg to below avg def. shortstops because they can hit.

16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

seriously???

taveras has been playing great, but you're crazy if you wouldn't put him on the bench to play soriano.

17. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I have died and gone to the Twilight Zone. We now have people b****ing that Everett shouldn't be playing, because he can't hit, even though he is a gold glove caliber SS. But they are also complaining that they don't want Soriano to replace someone in the OF because he is subpar defensively. Now I have seen it all.
    Make up your minds. Do you want a player who can hit but is below average defensively or do you want a defensive guy who can't hit?

disclaimer: This is not an advocation to start up an argument on the merits of Adam Everett. It's just an observation that some people seem to be a little hypocritical with this situation.

#37 Castor27, Aug 18, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  18. DaDakota

Everett is the weakest link, other than Ausmus on this team.

DD

19. Major

Major Member

Yeah - if we made a trade, it wouldn't be for much. Consider the following:

1. The Nationals are out of the wildcard race.

2. This would not even be a 2 month rental - 40 days, maybe.

3. They wanted to sign him to a long-term deal - presumably, that didn't work out.

4. They don't have multiple trading partners. If the Astros claimed him, we're the only team he can be traded to.

Bottom line, there is absolutely ZERO benefit to the Nationals to keeping him at this point. If they were smart, they'd negotiate as much as they can - but they'd only have 48 hours - and take whatever they end up with, whether that is Morgan Ensberg or just one single A prospect. They gain nothing by keeping him and would have to pay about $2m in salary.

As far as where he'd play, Soriano's playing LF or 2B, and it's not going to be 2B due to Biggio. After all his whining about learning LF, he's not going to learn any other position for 40 days. I imagine you'd move Berkman to 1st and Scott to RF, and Lamb & Ensberg become power lefty/righty bats off the bench. Soriano serves as our only legit top-flight right-handed bat, oddly enough.

20. mike87321

mike87321 Member

I think we are getting carried away with this whole Willy T hot steak. He is still a slap hitter who has as much power as a Little Leaguer. His bat has heated up lately, but this trend will surely decline. Soriano over Willy any day.