1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

sony w950i

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chow_yun_fat, Feb 22, 2006.

1. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Member

Sony Ericsson W950i
    Expected Q3 2006
    14th February 2006
    Discuss this handset in our forum

Hot on the heels of the Sony Ericsson M600 comes a Walkman version of the same phone. The Sony Ericsson W950i is a Symbian 9.1 smartphone with the UIQ 3.0 interface, but this time dispensing with the hybrid keyboard and adding a massive 4Gb of internal memory and some dedicated multimedia controls.

It's a 3G phone with a large 2.6" 240x320 pixel touch sensitive display. There's an FM radio, stereo Bluetooth, handwriting recognition, the Opera web browser and an email client, plus the well-regarded Walkman music packing including Sony's Disc2Phone software.

Unlike the M600i, the memory on the W950i appears to be non-expandable, but 4Gb should be enough for pretty much anybody. And despite the large screen and susbtantial amount of internal memory, the W950i weighs in at only 112 grams.

You can transfer data to the W950i via USB 2.0 or infra-red, but there's no WiFi connectivity. One obvious feature missing is a digital camera, which is a strange omission, although the M600 doesn't have one either.

Is this an iPod killer? Well, with 4Gb of internal memory, high-speed 3G capabilties and a large screen, and the fact that it can make phone calls - then the Sony Ericsson W950i could well be the all-in-one device that many people are waiting for.

This phone is slated to be available in Q3 2006 in the W950i configuration for Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Pacific Rim, plus there will be a W950c version for mainland China.

[​IMG]

2. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Member

Awesome phone, but at that price (Considering that W900i is probably a 600 dollar phone), I'm happy with my W800i.

Also, memory can't be expanded? That's weak. There are already 4 gb sony pro duos out that carry that amount. They're expensive as heck, but memory is getting cheaper by the day.

3. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Member

They didn't mention this phone is also touch screen. :eek:

Im not sure if I want to wait for this phone or get the w900i. I know a place in town that sells the w800/k750 for $140 + contract if anyone is interested.