1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sony Makes PS3 Price Cut Offical: no word by how much

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Brando2101, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6172545.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;2
    It seems that Sony will try and go as low as they can. It's not easy to weigh the cost/benefit of per unit sales since success in console sales translates into profits from Game sales, more significant commitments from developers and advancements in the High Def DVD market.

From what I have heard, the % drop for the PS3 will not be as high as the 360 but seeing how the PS3 costs more to begin with, the drop might be as much from sony as Microsoft.

So many people seemed to be offended by Sony when the PS3's price was first announced. I think when those people see a price cut, there will be a sense of vindication that will help boost sales. You also get consumers who feel smarter about waiting a year until a cut. These aren't reasons people go out and buy systems, rather they serve as a subconscious influence that makes people more willing to purchase. Most famous is the $.99 vs $1.00 debate between apple and the music industry for song purchases on itunes. That 1 cent pushes so much more sales. RC commented on the $199 barrier in game consoles.

Look for Sony to make the price cut number official later this year when they rollout Home, the media download service, the fall game lineup, and when their PS3 "entertainment system" media campaign kicks off.

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

First we had Moore pushing a Wii60
    Now we got Stringer pushing the PSWii

I find the whole thing extremely amusing

I'm not touching the PS3 till it hits $299 minimum (if ever). I can do with my 360 for a while.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

All MS or Sony has to do is set up their own controller rig that emulates the Wii's abilities, it is old technology the Wii is using.

Once Wii loses that advantage........well.....

DD

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

a price cut will help but i doubt they go over $100 off...thats still a pretty penny for the system. A price cut alone wont boost sales. games. games. games. games. Sony has this bad case of ADD recently. Bluray, psp, home, entertainment center, etc...how about games?

5. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

the same could be said about the DS...but thats dominated the handhelds.

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

spoken like a true lazy developer :D work for EA? LOL

j/k

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't know what Sony's thinking. The PS3 ain't even worth 200 bucks if there's no game support.

And the Blu-ray titles are frankly lacking as well. Fox is now on the sidelines permanently it seems and Disney isn't offering up too much either. I won't count WB and Paramount since they also support HD-DVD. That leaves Lion's Gate and Sony themselves and there's only so much those two studios can do.

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Well, if they still have the price advantage, that would still probably help a lot (it has a larger impact on Wii sales than the controller IMO, although it takes a number of things to get sales like that). Adding Wii-like controls to the PS3 isn't going to help it sell much more than what it has been selling IMO.

I guess Sony could really push the new Eye camera (more so than they would have), and there have been rumors that Microsoft is cooking up something related to motion controls (something more like the Eyetoy than the Wiimote though...may not happen until their next console however). If they can just get their systems cheaper (under $200), and put out a great library, I don't think they'll really have to worry about.

I guess you were looking for this article instead:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14323
    They seem to be amassing a nice Fall lineup, although there are still some uncertainties. For example, there are a number of questions about arguably the biggest PS3 title, MGS4, relating to its release date and exclusivity that could really hurt them. On the other hand, there are rumors that perhaps UT3 might be a timed exclusive on the PS3 (and even if it isn't, the 360 version might be "gimped"). I'm looking forward to E3 and the following months, where hopefully these questions are answered (while leaving me with some more unanswered questions most likely).

Back to the original point, it is nice to see confirmation that Sony is working on cutting the price this year, although I was 99.9% sure that was the case. With or without games, they won't be getting very good sales at their current price point. They've had some decent games released so far (Resistance, MotorStorm, VF5, F1, Gundam, RR7, etc.), but they haven't been able to keep the system from selling horribly. Of course, I don't think a $100 drop (the most I see them cutting the price this year) will help THAT much, but it would be a start.

9. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I think it will be $100, maybe just $50

I'm just anxiously waiting Home beta to get out

10. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

well thats nice that they claim to have a ton of games coming (and they do of course) but will they really differentiate themselves? I just have doubts until they make their 1st game for the system that really wows people...they havent done that yet.

11. Brando2101

PS3 controllers come with the SIX axis motion sensing capabilities but there is not much software that works well with it.

12. Brando2101

Sony's CEO says the PS3 library will reach 100 titles at the end of the year with 15 titles coming from SCEA including a few "surprises" that will be debuted on E3. I have faith that Killzone will rock all that is holy. Let's just hope they kept the Church of England out of the game

13. RC Cola

I'd say they've already made at least one game for the system that wows people. I guess that depends on your definition of what wows people though.

The PS3 could certainly use more of them though (one or a few games won't sell a system, especially when it costs $600), but I'm pretty confident they'll get them in the near future based on the positive impressions received by some of their upcoming releases at recent events. Well, that and the fact that SCEWWS is extremely talented.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you know the sales data for this month is out. where's that post cola? you're slowing down.

15. RC Cola

I already posted about it in the sales thread (link in my signature). I started posting all sales numbers in that thread ever since someone suggested I do that a few months ago. Good idea IMO since it gives me a chance to post some sales from outside the US that wouldn't normally get posted here.

16. Brando2101

Interesting note from Sege Executive who thinks the Wii might just be a fad:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6172548.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;1

I think SEGA probably has more to gain with the 360 and PS3 but it he still raises a legitimate concern.

17. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

RC..which game are you referring to when you said they already have one that wows people?

about that sega comment...i disagree on the depth that the wii can go. I think its the developers that have the lack of creativity and depth

18. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

How much are used 360s and PS3s going for on eBay right now?

19. RC Cola

Resistance and MotorStorm certainly come to mind due to their impressive visuals, their solid gameplay, their good sales (particularly in Europe IIRC), and a few other things. I could add a few other titles depending on what you meant. For example, F1's visuals seem wow-worthy (photo-realistic), at least in certain aspects, although the game itself is a bit mediocre if you're not really into the sport. Of course, none of them are on par with a major title like GTA or Halo, but then again, not many games are.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i wouldn't buy used for either systems.