1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sony announces prices for Blu-ray movies (surprise?)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Feb 7, 2006.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

About $30, which is about what HD DVD movies will cost according to Warner.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6305651.html

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

is this the MSRP? i've seen DVD MSRP prices to be similiar i think

nm..just read the damn thing

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Yet another reason I'm quite happy sticking with current gen formats for now; higher prices for next-gen software and price drops on current gen. Gotta love it!

4. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

jesus, talk about price fixing.

5. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

One positive of having two standards is the competition helps keep prices down from what they would have been.

It seems Blu-ray will prevail over HD-DVD, but that may not mean much. I think online downloading of content will catch fire over the next 2-3 years and blast the whole issue of next-gen DVDs into near oblivion. Because high definition video will snag a segment of the market (plus other reasons), the next-gen DVDs will be somewhat successful. But it will never ignite and take off the way DVDs did against VCs. Competition from downloading could push the price of these next-gen DVDs down pretty low.

6. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

They'll be half that within 2-3 years of release, and less on sale prices upon new title releases...

7. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Agreed. That was pretty much what happened whith DVDs.

I am mostly interested when they will be available for rental.

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Wait, you guys aren’t disappointed or anything like that about the pricing, are you? $30-$35 MSRP for movies on a brand new format is great news, especially since it could have been more like ~$50; at a store, these movies might only be like $5-$10 more expensive that a DVD, and these movies will be offered in HD (up to 1080p), not to mention any of the interactive features that BD-J and iHD offer. That is a pretty good deal newly launched format; as mentioned, I'm sure prices will go down eventually, although $15-$20 MSRP within a few years might be too big of drop IMO ($5-$10 at Wal-mart?). I'm just a little happy that, despite what everyone in the HD DVD camp said, it doesn't appear like there will be any extra costs put on the consumers for purchasing a BR movie as opposed to HD DVD movies. I guess their disc manufacturing advantage wasn't much of an advantage. :)

I believe Netflix said they'd be supporting both formats at launch and to expect the first discs around March; the 1st ones might just be HD DVD since they'll launch first, but that's a rough estimate on when to expect BR/HD DVD rentals from them. I imagine other companies will offer rentals at around the same time.

9. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

$30 seems to be a very fair price for a next-gen format, at least IMO.