1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Sony announces first Blu-ray movie titles (more info later?)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jan 4, 2006.

1. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

If the resolution is 1920x1080p HD master quality, does that mean my current monitor of 720p or 1080i won't be able to fully appreciate these new transfers?

Also, is this going to be component, DVI, or HDMI? The HDMI cables are expensive.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

If you don't have a TV that supports 1080p, then yeah, you may not be able to fully apreciate the picture quality. However, what you will get (720p/1080i) will still look really good, so I wouldn't complain too much. Seeing as how there are very few TVs out there that support 1080p, this will probably be the case for most people early on. In fact, I'm not even 100% sure if all movies will actually be 1080p; some early on may just stick with 720p, sort of like what video game developers are doing on the PS3/Xbox 360.

As for what cables you'll need, that's what I was talking about earlier. HDMI was what you were supposed to use (although I think it was also possible with DVI under certain circumstances), but now I'm not so sure. You might be able to get by with component. We'll have to wait and see I guess....maybe by tomorrow?

3. RC Cola

It looks like we have some player prices.
    http://www.i4u.com/article4840.html (2 Toshiba HD DVD players, $799 and $499)
    http://www.i4u.com/article4841.html (Samsung BR player, $1000 :()

A bit higher than I expected, especially for just a player, even if it will be the first in the US. I wonder if that will be the norm or not...makes me wonder what the PC BR drive coming out this month will cost. :confused:

edit: Pioneer BR player $1800:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060104/20060104005022.html?.v=1
    Well, the BR news started out good.

#23 RC Cola, Jan 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

wow. thats even higher than I thought it would be. great new technology thats unaffordable for the masses, these technonerds never learn. Who really has a thousand bux to shell out for this except the rich? I can't see the WalMart crowd going for this.

On the other hand, I'm definetely preordering 10 PS3's! :D

5. hotballa

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I wonder if their going to rip us off on the next gen DVD movie prices? I didn't see any pricing on those. I could see them charging at least an extra $10.

7. hotballa

I wouldn't be surprised. yuck, what a pricey toy :D

8. RC Cola

Yeah, that's how I'm feeling. And actually, I'm not sure if the Samsung player supports 1080p, while the Pioneer one does, so maybe that makes up the difference? :confused:

These prices are just a bit confusing given what I thought I knew about the PS3. Obviously, a Spring release for the NA is looking pretty slim, but assuming Sony sticks with the Spring release in Japan, you'll still have BR players along with the PS3 there. Even at some absurd price for a console like $800, the PS3 is a great deal (I imagine it should be able to do 1080p fine) compared to these players. We haven't even seen any recorder or PC drive prices yet.

I hope we don't get some bad news regarding the PS3 soon. :(
    I think at least $10 more as well for sure. Probably similar to the first DVD movies...something like $35-$45 or something like that. Of course, my last expectations regarding BR haven't gone so well yet.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Considering that Sony wants a premium for UMDs (restricted to PSP use and lower resolution) tells me you can bet on $30 or so BR pricetags.

Evan

10. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

Much thanks RC for all this information...just reading some of the titles coming out, I'm pretty stoked...can't wait for the PS3 and the BR HD content!

11. RC Cola

Some new info:

Pioneer SL (25GB) PC recorder for $995 (a steal?)
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=172

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,124194,00.asp
    Regarding the price tag for these movies:
    Blank discs from Panasonic:
    http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-04-2006/0004242836&EDATE=
    Regarding the cable connections issue from earlier:
    http://cnet.com.au/hometheatre/dvd/0,39025983,40059347,00.htm
    To be fair, it wasn't just Sony that asked for a premium for UMDs. AFAIK, the other studios that joined in are asking just as much. Except for maybe Japanese p*rn movie studios...I think you can find some of those UMDs in Japan for under $10. :)

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

wow...this is why I'm so glad I wait for new technology to flatten out in terms of growth, and wait for it to become affordable. I'd be so far in debt. I'm quite happy with my current setup anyways thank you. :)

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

So, a question, then; if BR players are looking to start out at 1000 alone, and they are scheduled to drop at the same time as the PS3, how can Sony actually afford to put an actual player in it and have the system at something near a respectable price?

Even with the DVD parallel last generation, DVD players weren't quite that high, were they?

14. RC Cola

I'd like to wait and see what is going on with this pricing. The only other thing that makes sense is that these are "high-end" products, thus the price. Kind of like how one DVD player may cost like $40 and another costs $20,000 (well...maybe not just like that). Maybe these early players will try to squeeze out a few sales at these higher prices for a few months before the PS3 hits (either in late Spring or whenever). They may then drop a little bit more in price once the PS3 hits, although they may still be able to charge much more. I don't follow this particular train of thought, but some home theater enthusiasts would never consider having a video game console at the center of their living room, even if it is a much better value (the same people that must have a $20K DVD player?). Doesn't really make sense, but a sub-$500 (I hope) video game console with BR support may be able to coexist in a market with $1000+ BR players...even if the console is equal in performance or even better.

Don't confuse these high prices with what it will cost Sony to include BR in the PS3. I didn't quite expect prices as high as $1800 for just a player, but the HD DVD player prices aren't too bad, and I don't think there are too many differences between HD DVD and Blu-ray (when it comes to hardware costs anyway). I think the PS3 could cost half as much as the players and not "cripple" Sony; the PS3 will have plenty of things to offset any losses, while these other players will be trying to make up for BR R&D on each player sold...ASAP from the looks of it. ;) That's the only scenario I can think of at the moment that could explain these high prices of Blu-ray players while also explaining a PS3 that is much more affordable. I'm interested in learning more about any other players announced in the next few days, as well as any PC drives, burners, and BR recorders.

BTW, according to the link I just gave about the $20K DVD player, the 1st DVD players cost about $1000.

15. RC Cola

Here are the official announcements from Warner and Disney about what movies to expect on Blu-ray:
    http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20060105006251&newsLang=en
    http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-05-2006/0004243866&EDATE=

For the lazy, here's a list:
    Batman Begins
    Charlie & The Chocolate Factory
    Constantine
    The Dukes of Hazzard
    The Last Samurai
    Lethal Weapon
    The Matrix
    Million Dollar Baby
    Oceans 12
    Swordfish
    Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
    Training Day
    Troy
    Twister
    Unforgiven

Kill Bill: Vol 1
    Hero
    Dark Water
    Ladder 49
    The Brothers Grimm
    The Great Raid
    Armageddon
    Kevin Smith's Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
    Dinosaur
    Everest

Like the other studios, pictures of BR movies at CES don't quite match up with these announcements either. Here's an even better view of some of the titles, some of which haven't been officially announced I guess:
    http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20060105/ces04_19.jpg

Here's some pics of the PS3 working as a BR player:
    http://internet.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/static/image/2006/01/05/cessn04.jpg
    http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20060105/ces04_11.jpg
    They also hint that the RSX is complete.

On the PC front, I believe Dell will be offering BR in the PCs in the Spring, although I just got that from the keynote. Speaking of Dell, if you didn't see it, they showed off a quad-SLI (4X 7800 GTX) PC. Doesn't really deal much with BR, but I thought it was pretty interesting.

Another thing not directly related to BR is some info about some new DLP HDTVs from Samsung. Here's a link and a small excerpt:
    http://www.cnet.com/4831-11405_1-6413134.html?tag=ltstimg
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a great price for a 1080p HDTV, especially one that is 50"? And I guess it could be even cheaper as time goes by, especially if you can find some great deals online or something like that. Hehe...and we haven't even gotten any real info on any SED/CNT HDTVs.

16. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

W. T. F.?

These discs are going to have three times the storage capacity and they're still issuing Kill Bill in 2 volumes?

Does the extra storage capacity =/= longer available playtime? Like how you can only cram 80 minutes of music on a 700mb CD-R in a particular mode?

17. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

The bit rate should jump from normal ~5 mbps on regular dvds to 25 mbps? or whatever the limits are for the new format. Better picture and bigger sound. So you get to see Daryl Hannah's eye pop out in greater detail. It would be great to backup an entire season of a tv series on one disk at the regular dvd resolution.

Hopefully the prices will drop quickly. I'm still bummed out I paid $400 for a 4x-2x CDWriter a few years ago and a couple bucks for a blank CD. Bad times.

18. RC Cola

As mleahy999 said, they're putting in better quality video and sound. I'm not an expert on bitrates, and I don't recall what they're aiming for with HD movies, but I believe the necessary playback speed for BR is like 54mbps (1.5x...however that happens). That explains why they still put movies on one disc despite the much higher storage capacity.

For some TV shows that can't release their shows in HD, they might be able to release more of them on one disc as opposed to DVD though.

BTW, I found this part from Samsung to be kind of interesting:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28769
    Interesting since Samsung always seemed to want to support both sides, even reiterating that in previous articles this week IIRC.

Also, while the 25/50GB discs will probably be fine for a while, here's something to look forward to:
    [​IMG]

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

How is everyone's collection going??