1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sonny Vaccaro on T-Mac: The Most Naturally Gifted

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Omer, Oct 1, 2007.

1. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Welcome to my ignore list, loser. Haven't quite run out on your "list of reasons to hate T-Mac I have manufactured out of my own spiteful imagination" yet?

2. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

lol nice one.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

back in the day you never see Yao fans vs Tmac Fans.

cause back in the day, if you love Vernon Maxwell, you love Otis Thorpe, you love Mario Elie, you love Dream, you love Sam, you love Kenny, you love Amigo
    you love Rob Horry

it was about the Rocket family under Rudy T. you see the Rockets interacting hanging with the fans.

that's why the newbies need to learn about the past, cause it will help create a better future for the universe

4. wingz0

wingz0 Member

This is the first time in any forum that someone has gotten onto my ignore list. Congrats yao_only_fan.

Now if everyone puts him on their ignore list, perhaps this loser will get tired of raving about his man crush on Yao and putting everyone else down like an insecure girlfriend, and go ride Yao's jock to some imaginary friends.

God knows that'll be doing the world a favour.

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Vaccaro's opinion was that he is "the most naturally gifted athlete" in the league. Your entire basis for challenging this statement is centered around speed. Professional basketball is not the 100-yd dash. Basketball skills include a lot more than just speed. To support my point, if speed was the single factor used in Vaccaro's argument, then all the great big men couldn't even be considered when forming an opinion about who is the most naturally gifted basketball player in the NBA.

I don't think many would argue against your point. However, your point doesn't adequately challenge Vaccaro's point. You need to challenge other aspects of McGrady's skill set if you want to refute the claim. All you did was argue that T-Mac is not the fastest player ever.

6. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

I don't think there's any doubt (note my username) that pre-Rockets TMac didn't work as hard as he has since he came here--I think that has changed. Moreover, there is no question in my mind that during the regular season, TMac will sometimes play in a way to preserve his body, in particular his back. Not many people can play like Iverson for a decade--look how Wade got hurt.

TMac has historically elevated his game in the playoffs, but he obviously has a gaping hole in his resume. He has two to four years left in his prime, so there is time to change people's perception. This year is the best opportunity he's ever had, so I'm excited for us and hope he stays healthy.

7. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Te idiot who started all the T-mac is'nt a Point Forward Threads (tmacyaokobe) is now using the monkier of yao_fan_2007.

There both the same person. just look at there writting styles. and anyone who dosent think yao_fan_2007 is not being anti tracy, there either blind and stupid or they think and agree with he's stupid nonsense.

8. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Aren't you the same poster who earlier in this very thread vehemently rejected the idea of labelling winners and losers basing on team results? (exhibits 1, 2, 3)

Besides,
    nothing in that post of yao_fan_2007 you replied to suggested he was using team results to take a shot at T-Mac. Hate to break it for you, but contradicting your own position and setting up straw man argument don't help you win debate.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's because back in the day you had a 2400 baud modem and just typing "Olajuwon" required you to turn your phone off for 2 hours.

10. yao_fan_2007

yao_fan_2007 Member

Wow. what gives you the right to make baseless accusations? For the record, I am not that guy.

I must've really ruffled your feathers for you to get so angry. :D

People resort to name calling and insults when they've lost the argument.

;)

11. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

and yet you're the one who resorts to that :confused: . you have called me and him the worst names during our discussion earlier a few months ago.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

TMAC has shown in the past, that he saves his best for last. He shows up in the playoffs.

Now we have other players who can score other than TMAC and Yao, so the defenses shouldn't be as harsh on them.

TMAC was a MONSTER against he mavs.

13. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

the jazz series was his first truly subpar playoff series to his standards. he NEVER averaged below 30 pts in the playoffs until the jazz series (ever since he became a star).

14. IVFL

IVFL Member

watch his quickness. just ONE dribble and he's gone.

u need to understand the back controls A LOT of things on the basketball court for him. he is not as quick like that anymore. and yet he still can score.

now hopefully he'll tone down this season to like 215 and he'll be fine.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I watched him blow by . . . . . . wait for it, SCALABRINI. . . . . . I hope to the high heavens that a good athlete can blow by that guy.

Like I said he manufactures his own quickness through his use of feet/length, and his dribbling. he did both there. I am not saying that he is a bad athlete by any stretch of the imagination, he is a great athlete, but he is not the most physically gifted player to ever play the game.

15. wingz0

wingz0 Member

I think part of the reason why he shot such a low percentage in the Jazz series has to do with the style of play. The Jazz grab and hold and for some reason, falls outside of the rulebook when it comes to hand and bodychecking. JVG wants Yao to touch the ball everytime down the court, even when Okur was giving him fits and getting into his head. Combine those two, and you have some truly UGLY games to watch. If Boozer didn't go lights out and hit fadeaways over Yao for most of the series, I think both teams' FG% would be atrocious.

And Mac does look a little slimmer. His cheeks aren't that full compared to last season. He says he's something like 225. I think that's pretty accurate. Last season he looked closer to 235-240. I don't think 225 is a good weight for him still, I don't think he should go past 218-200, but we'll see if he gets some of that quickness back. Given how much his game relies on his athleticism, he really doesn't need all that much muscle. Even Kobe dropped some pounds to get that extra bit of quickness back. No reason for Tmac not to do the same, especially when age and his back isn't getting any better.

16. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Yeah, I watched him blow by . . . . . . wait for it, SCALABRINI. . . . . . I hope to the high heavens that a good athlete can blow by that guy.

Like I said he manufactures his own quickness through his use of feet/length, and his dribbling. he did both there. I am not saying that he is a bad athlete by any stretch of the imagination, he is a great athlete, but he is not the most physically gifted player to ever play the game.[/QUOTE]

I did a poll on a couple of other site on this exact subject. i asked who do you think is the most gifted and talented ball player you've ever seen. people voted tracy by far. out of 98 votes, 55 were for tracy. lebron, KG and dirk were just behind tracy.most of if not all of those votes were by non-rockets or tracy fans.

Tracy is one of the few rare breeds of ball players.6'9, can play play from 1 to 4. he's probaly the best passing 6'9 since magic johonson. i didnt say it, doug collins said it. gorge karl called him the 2 nd best playmaker behind nash. magic johonson called him the most gifted athelet he's ever seen.

So tell me, who do you think is a more gifted athelet?. dont tell me lebron or kobe. none of those guys have the combination of skill, size, iq and speed of what mcgrady has.

17. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Dont worry about this clown. this tmacyaokobe oops i mean yao_fan_2007 clown is'nt even woth you're time man.

18. IVFL

IVFL Member

Thank you professor Brooks ball, I will have my edited essay in to you by noon tomorrow. . . :rolleyes:

When I talk about speed, I am talking about the whole package, foot speed, quickness, and actual speed on the court. Sorry if I did not label each one for you. I think that makes up a large portion of natural gifts, now jumping is another but if you want to assert that t-mac is one of the best jumpers in the league.. . . . . . and dont get length confused with jumping ability.

When you are talking about raw athleticism you will be hard pressed to match up a big with a wing or smaller in that category. Very few bigs are naturally gifted as basketball players. Kareem, Hakeem, Garnett, and Webber are the stars that come to my mind. Ewing was not the most graceful player, same with Malone, shaq, Yao, Moses. These guys are not going to WOW you with their raw ability to play the game, they are going to wow you with their polish, size, strength, or a combination of the three. Thats why it takes big men longer to develop. They have to learn to coordinate their body more than a guard that can just go out there and jump over people, beat them down the floor, or out quick them with the ball. Look at Jordan when he came into the league. He dominated it with his athleticism.
    Thats not going to happen with a big. Only the truly great ones can do that from the start. Yao, Malone, Kevin Mchale, Moses, Parish, and many others have started slowly in the beginning of their career and worked to polish their game, get stronger, and learn how to use what they have to their advantage before they were great.

19. IVFL

IVFL Member

I did a poll on a couple of other site on this exact subject. i asked who do you think is the most gifted and talented ball player you've ever seen. people voted tracy by far. out of 98 votes, 55 were for tracy. lebron, KG and dirk were just behind tracy.most of if not all of those votes were by non-rockets or tracy fans.

Tracy is one of the few rare breeds of ball players.6'9, can play play from 1 to 4. he's probaly the best passing 6'9 since magic johonson. i didnt say it, doug collins said it. gorge karl called him the 2 nd best playmaker behind nash. magic johonson called him the most gifted athelet he's ever seen.

So tell me, who do you think is a more gifted athelet?. dont tell me lebron or kobe. none of those guys have the combination of skill, size, iq and speed of what mcgrady has.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on your extensive research into the depths of the internet. First problem, you had Dirk in your list of talented and gifted players poll, need I say more. Sure he can shoot but thats about it, other than being very very tall. Second problem, its an online poll, all that proves is who everyone likes more or who they dont like.

To quote blowhards like Magic and Doug Collins who say that about 1/3 of the players in the league, depending on who they are watching that night. It does not prove a thing. You could play drinking games with color commentators, Every time they say, only a few guys in the league "insert compliment here" you have to take a drink. Same with the comment, Best "insert compliment" I have ever seen. Take a drink. trust me by the end of the night you would probably be on your way to the hospital, especially if it was a triple header.

More gifted athlete. . . .. thats easy. Allen Iverson, Michael Jordan, Vince Carter, Andre Igoudala , D Wade, Kevin Johson in his prime, Charles Barkely before he got real big, we are talking Philly days. OHHH and Domonique Wilkens! if you disagree with him I will fight you :mad:
    I could go on, but I dont think you want to really hear it and will just disagree with me. Then it turns into a pissing match over one persons opinion versus another.

20. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

This is the problem. Basing his work ethic on stuff that doesnt matter. He has sleepy eyes, walks slow, and doesnt have the Kobe attitude doesnt mean he's working any less harder.

I'd like to see him go beserk all game long, but is not going to happen. But I dont think anyone can look at the tmac of the last 2-3 years and say he isnt one of the deadliest players in the league. His offense is not the best, but his all-round game is better than Melo or Bron (i love bron, but the spurs exposed him)

Tmac's perceived biggest weakness may be killer instinct, but its hard to say how much of it is due to his personality.