1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sonny Vaccaro on T-Mac: The Most Naturally Gifted

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Omer, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Omer

Omer Member

...Sonny Vaccaro, the former top NBA guru for Nike, Adidas and Reebok. Vaccaro is best known for negotiating multi-million dollar shoe deals with top NBA stars including Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. In essence, he's the man that many people say is responsible for the almost inseparable relationship between NBA players and their shoes.

Q: Who's your favorite athlete?
    A: I don't want to go there because there's so many kids, but I'll you the one who I think is the most naturally gifted is Tracy McGrady. Tracy doesn't work as hard--and you should put this in your story--as some of the others. Tracy was given more ability than anybody. He didn't always use it.

Damn, this is what I had been thinking for a while myself.

Full article @ http://video1.washingtontimes.com/sportsbiz/2007/09/vaccaro_taking_on_basketball.html

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Ouch,

But pretty obvious.....thank God we got the hardest working center in the league.

DD

3. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

True... Just imagine what he would be like if he worked as hard as the Kobe and Jordan.. Kinda makes me sad.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Not everybody works hard on their game, look at Horry, he has had a good career just being satisfied with what he does well...

Some players lack the drive to be the best.

DD

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We don't know how much of it can be attributed to work ethic and how much of it could be due to back pain, but yeah, unfortunately the end result is untapped potential.

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Bruce Bowen was asked who the toughest one on one cover in the league is for him. he didnt say Wade, Kobe, Lebron or carter, he Said Tracy McGrady by far when he is in the zone. same thing with pop. the world champion spurs respect tracy that much.

He with a supposedly bad back is still probaly the most gracefull player to watch. i've played ball at alot of organiased leagues, and i tell ya, it's nowhere near as easy as mcgrady makes it look. not even close. when he elevates for one of he's jumpshots, there is no better sight in basketball. text book yet so gracefull.

7. Barkley

Barkley Member

Right. San Antonio has a big respect for Tracy cause they know what he can do on the basketball court. Of course Kobe is hard to guard, the same with LeBron and Wade, but I won't say Tracy is easier to guard. We also have to pick on his injuries. Last offseason he wasn't able to trainin' cause the problem was with his back. Now he's had a whole summer just for him and I think that will make him a lot better next season

8. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

A definition of a loser.

9. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I call BS. Maybe the old T-Mac didn't work as hard, but the Rockets T-Mac has definitely been a hard worker -- wasn't it his excessive offseason workout regimen a couple of years ago that aggravated his back condition and ended up sidelining him after the first game?

10. dragonz

dragonz Member

I... agree

11. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

After Utah lost last season to SA, Carlos Boozer said figuring out Tracy and Yao were harder than figuring out the Spurs. He said without a doubt Yao is the best center in the game and Tracy was the best swingman in the western conference playoffs.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

People need to stop letting his durability issues cloud their judgement on his character and work ethic.

13. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Wow, I always thought T-Mac had a pretty good work ethic. During his time in Houston, I'm pretty sure his work ethic has been as good as anyone else's in the league. He holds of his training now to let his body recuperate or something right?

I guess when you're the youngest two-time scoring champ, you don't see much room for improvement in your game. He was satisfied too early i think.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I dont think sonny meant weight training if that was the case than yeah you just need to see tracy's body and know he has put in the work since he came into the league. I think he means more of his basketball game...every season jordan and now kobe come with some new move they've worked on the entire summer or they've fine tuned their shot or something to improve their basketball game as well as stay in peak physical condition.

thats not always the case with tracy..in fact his jumper has regressed a bit over the past couple of seasons and there hasnt been any new real touches to his game since he has become a rocket. Injuries of course have played a huge role in his development this will be his first real off season when he has been healthy. I expect to see a much more efficient tmac this season. (remember he did have spasms all throughout the dallas series but still played through them)

I am not saying the back is the cause/excuse for his seemingly lack of dedication to improve his game, but i would have love to see what kind of player he could be if he didn't have the injury.

15. Barkley

Barkley Member

And remember, he didn't have the best series... But even when Tracy sucks he is still hard to guard cause he's a great passer also. He had more than 10 asist twice in the series.

16. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

If only T-Mac loved basketball the way he loves baseball... Damn.

17. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

6 TIME ALLSTAR

Two times scoring champions.

2ND MOST PROLOFIC PLAYOFFS SCORER AMONGST ACTIVE PLAYERS. yes above everyones golden boy here kobe bryant.

3 time all NBA team.

Had the best offensive effeciency output in O0-01 since jordans prime years.

Twice finished in the top 6 MVP count.

Probaly the most gifted and talented Swingman to ever play the game.

The list goes on. but according to you, he is a loser. dumbass....

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If that's so then why didn't they beat the Spurs?

Here's to hoping that we have more talent, and it was just a coaching thing.

19. rv2843

rv2843 Member

Who cares who says what! If TMac doesn't get tougher, improves his FGP, and brings us a playoff win, he will be a softy loser.

20. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

spurs were deeper than the rockets. rockets fixed both problems... coaching and depth.