1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sonics likely leaving Seattle after 07-08; Magic close on an arena deal in Orlando

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tigereye, Apr 22, 2007.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

FOXSports.com: Bennett: "We're out of Seattle"

In this joyous time of basketball with the playoffs, it now appears it is time for the orbituarary of professional basketball in Seattle is to be written. According to Sonics Majority owner Clay Bennett, Washington State Gov. Chris Gregoire will not call lawmakers into special legislative session so the Sonics can gain approval for the use of taxpayer money for a new $500 million arena to be constructed in the Seattle suburb of Renton, WA. Without lawmakers being called into a special legislative session, the arena proposal to save the Sonics is effectively dead. In fact, Bennett goes as far as to say he has no hope Gregoire would call lawmakers back.

However, through her spokeswoman, Governor Gregoire states that she has no recollection of any mention of a special session during her phone call with Sonics owner Clay Bennett.

Basically, instead of there being negotiations for porgress to get an arena deal done, right now we have a case of "he said, she said" between Gov. Gregoire and Sonics Majority Owner Clay Bennett. And the basic outsider unfortunately can see the writings on the wall clearly, given the Bud Adams and Art Modell situation a decade ago. And as a longtime Rockets fan, I really dont want to see the Sonics leave Seattle. Whether they be good or bad, there have been tons of Rockets and NBA related memories made at the old Seattle Center Coliseum (now the Key). From that epic "Game 6" that didnt go our way in '87 to that unforgettable slam dunk contest earlier in that same year, it now seems 40 years of baseketball history in the great Northwest as about to be flushed down the toilet......

I guess the next stop could very well be Oklahoma City. But we all know what Kansas City offered the Pens ...free rent at the Sprint Center, which is set to open this August. If this deal is offered to Clay Bennett and the Sonics, he might slight his hometown in favor of a bigger makret with a better deal.

Below, are rendings for the proposed King County Events Center in Renton, Wa...aka the Sonics new home that now appears to will never happen....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On a slightly better note, the Orlando Magic are reportedly close to sealing a new arena deal to keep the team in Orlando. More from Florida Today

Rendering of the new Magic arena
    [​IMG]

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Very interesting ... thanks for the update and photos, tigereye. I wonder what this means from a talent perspective if the Sonics will hold a mini-fire sale or what have you.

3. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

:( :( :( :( :( I love Seattle, the city. I don't want the Sonics to move. But I don't want any more expansion teams or anything, so I guess it is good if they move to Oklahoma. I would rather see the Magic move there, however.

4. Nick

Nick Member

Why the hell did they spend so much taxpayer money to renovate the now Key arena if they were just going to want a brand new place 10 years later?

Reminds me very much of the Oilers situation, except that it was the SAME owner with the Oilers, and the renovation to the Astrodome wasn't all that drastic of an improvement (whereas they completely gutted the old seattle center coliseum, and rebuilt it... its basically a new arena).

I think both sides are at fault... the team, obviously, for being lured into a lease they had no intention of being happy with, and the city for being short-sighted and unwilling to build "state of the art" or something that would actually be viable for more than 10 years.

5. tigereye

tigereye Member

That was actually my first though.....hence the talk surrounding Rashard Lewis. Its even listed on the main page at Sonics.com entitled "Uncertain Summer." Im thingking 'Shard's gonna leave Seattle as well. And our new point guard for the future could possibly be found in Seattle as well.....this situation merits watching closely....

6. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Member

Seriously tho -- a FIVE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLAR ARENA? I wouldn't want my tax dollars to go to something that overpriced. Just build a standard 250 million dollar arena, i think they'll be alright.

7. jaredg777

jaredg777 Member

way to go governor! Ticket prices are high enough, now if every city would agree to not spend money taxpayer money on arenas then you wouldn't be able to run to another city to get what you want and you'd pay for it yourself

8. Nick

Nick Member

Will never happen. There are enough cities in america that have big-city envy that will all pony up for an arena/stadium if there's a chance of luring a pro sports team.

If teams are still willing to move to other pro-sports cities that have either lost teams before (New Orleans, San Diego, Cincinnatti, St. Louis, Kansas City), or smaller cities that have never had an NBA team (or any other pro team) but always wanted one (Louisville, Oklahoma City, Las Vegas)... you'll always see them holding cities hostage for more $$$.

9. redefined

redefined Member

[​IMG]

That kind of reminds me of

[​IMG]

I like it. I've been to Renton to pick up a 737. It's a nice area and I hope it gets done. I don't mind a team in Oklahoma though. Those fans deserve it. They have nothing else to look forward to in that state.

10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Vegas here they come!!!

I knew this was gonna happen especially after the AS Game. Just read recently that Stern created a comittee to research the possibility of a team in Vegas. Either Sonics or Kings for sure especially with the Maloof connection.

11. Nick

Nick Member

I don't think Stern actually wants a team in Vegas... if he did, it would have already been done by now. I also think the all-star game HURT Vegas' chances more than it helped it.

12. FFz

FFz Member

hey aren't they going to rebuild the garden soon? Do you have pictures of the new design?

13. tigereye

tigereye Member

Actually Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman is saying his city will not build an arena with taxpayer money. Thus the quick disappearance of all the Vegas talk. The T&M Center is outdated and without a new facility, Vegas will not get a team.

As for the Kings, recent talk has the Maloofs exploring construing the arena in Sacramento using private financing methods, a la the Giants method to get AT&T Park constructed back in 2000. However, with escalating construction costs, I think it is only a matter of time before that plan flops. And when it does, the Maloofs will either sell the Kings or move them to Kansas City, where a possible better deal in the new Sprint Center, a bigger market, and a wide open Plains region to cover awaits.

Trust me people, the spanking new Sprint Center has no main tennant and with the Pens getting a new arena, no NHL team will be available to swoop in on this incridible deal that awaits in KC. The NBA, however, has a few relocation possibilities open. Its only a matter of time before the "Show Me State" has a representative city in the NBA. The only question is, Kansas City Sonics or Kansas City Kings?

14. tigereye

tigereye Member

The latest floated proposal......

[​IMG]

.......although there have been rumors swirling about the old West Side/Hudson site next to the Javits. This was the site for the ill-fated proposed Manhattan Jets Stadium/Olympic Stadium that collapsed in 2005 just before the Olympic vote. It would make sense for the arena to be located there as both LA and Houston have the same setup with Staples and the LA Convention Center, and with TC, the GRB and the Hilton.

15. tigereye

tigereye Member

That didnt work...here's a link to the page..... Ellerbe Becket/MSG Remodel

16. tigereye

tigereye Member

Actually It does work....Im just a dumbass....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Amel

Amel Member

I like the current home of Orlando

it takes you 5 minutes to get off the highway, park and enter the arena...no hassle getting a parking space

18. Nick

Nick Member

You think there will be a hassle anywhere in Orlando? I guess if they built it next to Disney World, it would suck.

19. weslinder

weslinder Member

Good for the Sonics. Oklahoma City showed the past two years that they deserved a team. Just, please Sonics, change your name. There's nothing Supersonic in Oklahoma, and it'll be just like the Jazz, the Lakers, and the Grizzlies.

20. bejezuz

bejezuz Member

Ahh, yes, I can see it now: Oklahoma City Subsonics. Go SUBS!