1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

sometimes you play like crap and still win

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tod the bod, Feb 22, 2001.

1. tod the bod

tod the bod Contributing Member

The Rockets missed a ton of layups, Mobely couldn't buy a shot if he wanted to (not that it stopped him from jacking up a lot of dumb shots), the team misses a ton of free throws, and still they win.

I almost hate to say it (because I am sure that they will find a way to break my heart again), but this is the sign of a playoff contender -- a team that wins even when it plays ugly. The Rockets got key contributions from Walt Williams and Kelvin Cato, two forgotten men.

We asked the Rockets to step it up last night, to win a road game, the second half of a back to back, against a team that they never beat. And they did it.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Is that as positive as you can be. Man you are a tough cookie!

here, let me help turn you into a Reliant freak:

Now that makes me feel better. Thanks Tod for allowing me to plagerize.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited February 22, 2001).]

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't necessarily believe that the team played like crap. If you take away all the mistakes of Steve and Cat, then the rest of the team played downright awesome! They had to, in order to win.

------------------
    "Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    Work like you don't need money, love like
    you've never been hurt, and dance like no
    one's watching."

4. heypartner

Raven, when both playmakers play like crap, I can see why the Bod would say that, since everything runs through them.

hell, what were they.

Mobley worst shooting night of his career and a ton of rimmed out layup = 2-13

Francis looking gun shy from 3 pt land, but still jacking them up for fear of the driving with Garnet floating around = 4-17

ugh and painful

Man, I cannot stand seeing Garnett float around like that. He kills us. Got to be in awe of Garnett.

5. tod the bod

tod the bod Contributing Member

hey, I thought that I was being pretty positive. I will tell you my two pet peaves: (1) why are the guards having so much trouble passing the ball into the low post. We have had so many turnovers the past few games because we can't pass the ball into Hakeem or Mo; and (2) stop dribbling the damn ball. Half of the dumb shots the Rockets take are because time is winding down because Mobely or Mooch dribbled the ball around for 10 seconds. And the Rockets should never have that many 24 seconds violations.

But Raven, you are right, outside of the few missed foul shots by Mo that made the game a little closer, the rest of the team besides Mobely and Francis played pretty well.

And HeyPartner, it will be a cold day in hell before I ever say that Rudy T is coach of the year.

------------------
    The Body Beautiful

6. Toast

Toast Member

First, I'd like to remind you that it's a team game, so if one or two players have off nights, it doesn't mean the whole team played like crap.

Second, 12 assists is not a crappy game. Neither is a double double. When your shot's off, you have to do something else with your time on the floor. It's not about putting up a lot of points, it's about winning. The Rockets won as a team.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

7. heypartner

I cannot deny that. But Francis did in an after the game interview.

That Minn defense is really tough. No one protected the ball very well. Francis had some outstanding internal passes. But he could not get our set plays going like he normally can. 12 assists on broken plays and passing to Walt for 3 is overrated.

And Mobley looked unsure of himself. I've never seen that before. Scary. That would be terrible if repeated.

I think the best way to some it up is Garnett on the Mind. That guy covers so much ground.

8. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

That pretty much sums up your appraisal of every Rockets win over the past several years, tod.

------------------
    I take her to the aquarium, she says shark,

I take her to the planetarium, she says dark.

9. heypartner

You were being positive. Just not Sunshine positive. lol

Hey Tod, I can totally empathize with Rudy Bashing. I was a big one 3 years ago. It took watching him rebuild to show what he can do. In your most positive thread of the year, can you toss us one bone about what phase of Xs and Os he does well.

And if we don't hear from you in 15 minutes, we'll know you tried, but spontaneously combusted.