1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something to remember about Kevin McHale for folks who don't understand the "benching" thing...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks. This is kind of a double-whammy situation when it comes to irrational posts: people love to talk about how their team's coach is an idiot and question coaching decisions anyway (and owners seem prone to this, too, given how often they fire perfectly competent coaches) and here we are compounding the fans' coach hating tendencies with partisanship toward a popular player.

I don't mind people talking coaching decisions-- coaches have to make a lot of them every game and some are mistakes, just like even good players take bad shots every game-- but to ascribe disrespect, personal bias or racism upon the coach is silly.

Kevin McHale doesn't shoot 100% with his tactical decisions but given that the team's players seem to like and respect him overall and especially given that Dwight Howard said McHale figured in his decision to come to Houston, I'd give the coach some slack.

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Cuz I being living in Htown all my life. Been a Rockets fan for over 30 years. So miss me with that nonsense.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I never said Lin's defense was better than Bev's. And like I stated in the other thread we might as well put that notion to rest.

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

The proof: Our playoff series with OKC last season

I used to complain about McHale's coaching the 1st 2 years he was here, but I have to admit he coached that series well. Who could have foreseen putting in that ultra-small line-up would give OKC fits.

And he coaches players to be tough. Like the advice he gave Bev when we were going back to OKC--"If they're booing you, then you're doing something right."

He coached the youngest team in the NBA last year to have the #2 best offense. This year he has even better pieces. I'm sure he's excited as well.

5. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7r6vXeOfyQ

this shows alot of character about the guy

cheap shot expert

you can see how Bird was all class and helped Rambis up and gave him a pat on the back

cant believe we got this boston/minnesota reject as our head coach w zero track record

scott brooks was a rocket. why dont we go after him. bring Rudy back. we need a real rocket leading the charge

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Larry Bird was a big-time trash talker and all-around jerk to opposing players. McHale, by comparison, was way more easy-going.

The 80s were a different era. Hard fouls, especially in the playoffs, were just part of the game.

7. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

What are you talking about?

Rambis was one of the dirtiest players in the NBA, what Mchale did to him needed to be done a lot more often.

8. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

mchale didnt make a play for the ball and close lined Rambis

could really injure a person that way

leaders need to lead by example and i dont like how mchale not only handles the team but even when he played professionally

9. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Like I said, this should have been done to Rambis more often. How do you think Rambis stayed in the league? It wasn't because of talent he was a very dirty player.

10. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

This is completely true. Bird was also known as a very dirty player--he was voted as one of the three dirtiest as I recall. Still, he's probably the SF in his prime that I want on my team if I need to win a game and have my life on the line.

11. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

The best plan is to put together sets of 5 that are the most effective as a group. This is not as simple as just placing your 5 most outstanding players into a group. It's all about fit and we've heard KM say that again and again. This mornings game you could see what he was doing clearly as they were rotating the 5 and running quite varied plays to see the effectiveness of *that play with *that set of 5. I enjoyed watching it a lot and I think they learned a lot too. Figuring out what sets are the most effective is not a knock against anybody.

12. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Lol..

13. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I don't despise McHale because of how he treats Jeremy. I absolutely despise him for being in a position of leadership and not knowing how to be an effective coach on both sides of the floor. And no, I'm not clueless when it comes to coaching. My coaching resume goes all the way to Varsity and AAU ball, so I know how things work, even if it's the NBA.

As a fan, obviously, I want the team to have the best possible opportunity to succeed. When you look at Kevin as a coach, he is missing so many of the essential pieces. The only strength he "seems" to have is developing player relationships. His ability to design a play in crucial moments is embarrassing. His attempts at motivating in the huddle are laughable. A few claps and "Play hard." That's it. The Rockets, James, Dwight, Chandler, Jeremy, the fans...we deserve a more competent coach.

We've already been through two seasons where the final 10 games were absolute failures, partly because of his rotation choices.

I still cringe when he played PatPat and Luis, when Camby and Bear were protecting the rim and securing leads. We missed the playoffs that year BECAUSE of Kevin.

Sooner or later, in order for this team to be a contender, we need a coach that is more than just average. Our team is built to win, but our coach doesn't have the necessary skills yet. It's "Win Now," not "Win when McHale Finally Gets It."

Love my fellow Rockets fans, either way.

//Rant

14. Codman

A 30+ year old writes like that. Really?

15. BBAAB

BBAAB Rookie

And "Move the Ball"!!!

//Rant

Having said that, he was crucial in getting Dwight Howard. I'm not sure Dwight would've decided against Houston if we had SVG or another reputable coach, but I'm pretty certain McHale did have a positive influence and players like him.

But the X & Os ... not good

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I am not sure McHale was "crucial" per se. I think having a young talented roster, the likes of Parsons and Harden convincing him and the opportunity to train with the dream already convinced him. McHale was probably just the icing on the cake and Dwight's way of saying that MDA was crap.

17. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

you all have been made the fool!

There is no benching in pre-seasons!

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Chump this is a sports blog, get the f*** on with that nonsense. You don't know jack about me and my education. I do not take this sh** serious. The next time you come at me wrong, I will report you period.

Some people on here are too quick to judge. Get a life dude, real talk.

Good Lawd. bwhahahahahaha

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

irony

20. Codman

1. This is a sports blog?
    2. You're "cursing" and threatening me, yet you're going to report me? Interesting.
    3. You're correct, I don't know about your education. That's why I questioned it in the original post.

Real Talk.:rolleyes: