1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Someone else's Fault] Suit claims Snapchat caused women to speed and wreck

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Apr 28, 2016.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

http://techcrunch.com/2016/04/28/sn...d-in-lawsuit-following-atlanta-highway-crash/

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Well, it kind of was her fault.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

How does a filter like that get approved?! Mind-boggling..

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Filter control now.

Ban filters.

6. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

#LuckyToBeAlive

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Obviously, the wreck is the stupid girl's fault and she's obviously going to lose the suit if her defense is that Snapchat made her do it. But, I would be sympathetic to a lawsuit from the victim against the app maker for publishing this highly irresponsible filter. I would also be sympathetic to police departments citing anyone stupid enough to publish evidence of their own lawbreaking.

This incident is reminiscent of the girl who livestreamed her friend being raped because she got caught up in the likes. We're having a hard time as a society figuring out how to live with our technology.

8. fchowd0311

How can someone lack so much empathy to post a snapchat of them being 'lucky to be alive' when they caused the accident resulting in the other party having permanent brain damage? I would be ashamed to post anything about the accident if I did what she did. I would be heart broke, sulking in a corner because I ruined another family's life.

#8 fchowd0311, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  9. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Absolutely. Even if the other people were fine, it is completely disrespectful and selfish to post something like this, not including how reckless her driving was.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think she was using it as a defense, I think the lawsuit is against the company for making such a stupid filter. If I am the victim, I go after the company if I want money, not a teenage girl and her likely limited insurance. She should not be allowed to drive for a long long time and definitely should face substantial penalties and criminal charges.

I mean really. Does technology take away from being a decent human being? The problem isn't technology, the problem is that it exposes the worst of humanity. Maybe it's about time.

1 person likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

Couldn't have said it any better. Social media has really placed a limelight on the worst of humanity that has always existed. It didn't magically appear because twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat etc appeared.

12. JuanValdez

That's what I assumed from the thread title, but that's not what the article says. It says, "The victim and his wife are now suing the teen driver." I think they should sue the company. Not because they have deep pockets, but because the product sound like a public hazard.

Yeah, the worst of humanity has always been there, but we have a variety of controls to insulate ourselves from the worst of it. It seems like new technologies, however, have a way of exposing new ways in which our intrinsic evil can manifest itself until society finds new controls to mitigate the problem. I'm sure we will eventually come to some equilibrium -- and it's not like the world is just falling apart right now because of smartphones -- but I do think this is a process we're going through right now, figuring out all the bad things we can do with the internet and mobile communications, and how do we minimize them.

13. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

What is the point of something so idiotic on this app. What possible purpose does it serve? Both Snapchat and this stupid girl need to be held accountable

14. fchowd0311

The whole purpose of Snapchat initially was so that girls can post titty pics to their one night flings and not be worried that an obvious temporary fling will hold on to their nudies and if they did save the pic, they would know.

15. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Thanks but I'm aware of the Snapchat purpose. I mean the mph filter.

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

We live in a world of "not my fault, I'm oppressed."

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, before technology and viral media people would do stupid things and no one would know about it. Technology at least makes everyone aware that there are people who do things like this. But yes, the really puzzling thing is the Snapchat product people who thought putting an mph filter was in anyway a good idea.

Not sure who is saying it's not their fault and that they are being oppressed in this thread.

18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

You guys do realize that a passenger should be the one using the app and filter?

19. JuanValdez

Snapchat seems to specialize in products to empower self-destructive behavior.

Look at me! I'm riding shotgun with my seatbelt on in a Volvo doing 50 in a 55 mph zone! Give me your likes 'cuz I'm such a badass!

Sounds like one hell of an app, if you use it right.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

it was /s