1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Someone Convince Me Dwight Isn't Overrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Dec 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He draws double-teams and teams have to have great game plans to stop him. Those plans free up other players to do well. He may be overrated by fans, but I assure you he is well respected by teams around the league.

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

My observation has the whole team especially harden were doing pretty good until Dwight came back

The. We struggled against Denver and lost to pelicans and the hawks

It looks harden and the team are having a hard time to adjust to Dwight being back. Either harden and the whole team has to hold back and give way/touches to Dwight or simply uneasy with Dwight's role

Maybe Dwight should try to play more like black meaning concentrate on setting solid pics, PnR, boxing out, rebounding, offensive putbacks, defense, blocking shots, and making his free throws? Also Dwight should try to reduce his offensive and defensive goal tending violations,,

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

My only source of confusion is how the defense has actually slipped some since Dwight's been back.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

We're better across the board with him in the lineup statistically, but last game I don't think he got enough touches in the post. He was on top of his game and he was actually making his free throws last night, even more reason to feed him the rock.

5. vlaurelio

Everyone else has been playing their roles and the defensive scheme to perfection?

Hope Dwight is simply adjusting to his defensive role and the teams defensive scheme

6. kemah

kemah Member

lol

From what I have seen and feel may be the problem is that players are getting tired and hurt. Last year I remember about 2 occasions when the team looked to hit a wall and stumbled. All teams go through it. We are now getting starters back and reintegrating them will take time. In the end we should be stronger hopefully.

7. vlaurelio

Hopefully that's just then case

And we now have two new guys to add to out depth

If tjones ain't coming up anytime soon, I think morey should prioritize that over dragic

8. kemah

kemah Member

lol

I agree with you. Looks like a competent back up to Harden and Ariza. I hope so anyway. Harden may have to sit soon for a game or two if that hamstring is bad.

9. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

We need an energy guy in the post like Wright that can step outside and hit the jumper or score off the PnR w/ Harden. He can also protect the rim.

As good as Dwight is, we are not championship material w/o another PG and a big that can shoot outside and guard the middle. Harden is great at the PnR but unfortunately Dwight is too one-dimensional offensively, and has problems going up against guys bigger than him. It times like this we need a guy that can play off the RnR so we don't have to force the ball inside. Also, when we play against elite teams like the Portland Trailblazers and the LA Cippers we need someone versatile enough to play outside to keep guys like Lopez and Jordan from clogging up the middle. Wright is also quick enough on his feet to guard guys like L.A. and Griffin.

10. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Dwight isn't overrated at all. You just have to properly understand what he does for our team. His defensive presence is HUGE, he draws a bunch of fouls which helps the rest of our team, he draws double teams.

Just because D-Mo is a much better post player doesn't mean we shouldn't go in to Dwight in the post. Dwight post plays contribute in a ton of ways even when he doesn't finish.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Terrence Jones is by far the best. Hey, maybe Howard is the lesser Jones. ;)

Oh, BTW, Beverley was the best last season. Maybe he was the talent that should take Howard's money.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2014/on-off/

12. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

this.... every game he cost us at last four points with goaltending...then you have turnovers, offensive fouls ...way too many negatives...

13. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

He is not overrated to people that know what they're watching (and there are plenty of people that fit that description here). He is what he is....a very good center that is an elite rebounder and rim protector. His post game is (as someone else pointed out) polarizing... I'd like to think that as the season wears on, he'll be able to be more efficient offensively given motiejunas' improvement in the post. I refuse to believe that Dwight will get as many post touches with motiejunas playing anywhere near his current level. And that's good for Dwight and good for the team.

14. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

This thread is highly over rated.

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

This thread is full of CRAP and for those think Howard is overrated you have issues...

Everybody is so freaking in love with stats that you miss the entire essence of the game and what a player brings to it.. There is no stat for what his presence does on defense and there is no stat for his presence to draw double teams...

Howard's value will be during playoff time, when teams start playing more half-court and the run and gun has been shut down... I can tell you right now the Warriors run and gun show looks pretty right now during the reg season, but that crap want work during the playoffs (Go ask the 1980's Bucks).

Some of you see D-Mo as the savior and you really need to wake up... D-Mo is doing good and I hope he keeps getting better, but it's unfair to him to try and put him on the same level as Howard.

T_Man

16. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Do you know how many times Hakeem, Mutombo, Malone, Jabbar, and Dawkins would goaltend for intimidation purposes...

T_Man

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The problem with this post is you're referencing real contracts and real circumstances that are actually happening in the real life NBA. The OP is speaking in terms of an idealistic fantasy, where supply and demand and the CBA play no factor and the sacred $20 million contract is reserved only for undisputed all-time greats.

Using that frame of reference, we clearly should have used a time machine to bring prime Hakeem to present-day and pay him $20 million per season instead of Dwight. Big failure by Morey and I'm very disappointed in Dwight for not all the sudden becoming a completely different player than he's been over the last 9 years of his career and for not growing a few inches in height.

18. SemisolidSnake

Yeah, this is exactly how I see it, and I made a similar post somewhere else on here recently. The guy has got excellent hands for receiving passes and alleys, something Asik never had. He still has the hops to go hard to the basket as long as you open a little space for him, say via a PnR.

He does have some rather nice post moves in the right situation, but it's unfortunately one-dimensional. It's not necessarily his fault, either. They give him the ball in the post, and then everybody clears out to the other side of the court, so they can draw their defenders away from doubling him. Problem is that all scoring opportunities on that play rely on him at that point. The post can and should be a playmaking hub. If you've got the advantage and position, go to the basket. If there's a double team, somebody on the perimeter should be open AND accessible for an assist. There could be someone cutting the basket while he draws defenders. However, we're not seeing that, so a post-up for Dwight is a guaranteed scoring attempt by Dwight. Defenses can easily see this, and Dwight's not as clever a post scorer as D-Mo.

Let's the 4 do a 4's job, and let the 5 do a 5's job, and we increase the scoring threats we have. The others need to provide the assists to Dwight and from D-Mo. Dwight's not overrated; he's mis-utilized.

19. bro2044

bro2044 Member

overrated is an overstatement. The dude puts up 20 and 15 most of the time, and has games where its like 25 and 15 or 19 and 18 etc. He blocks shots and plays good D.

the things he sucks at? Making FTs and making a quick decision on his post up. I mean, he has moments where you're like YES, but his legs and ball handling are too...bouncy and out of control looking. If you watch even Montiejunas, his legs and position are strong as he moves, and you trust with the angle of his shot and knowledge of the position of he and the goal, that his shot has a good chance of going in.

Dwight... he like jumps high and throws in a flat sideways hook, or backs up and takes too many high dribbles before making his decision. I WISH with his size and athleticism that he could face up and spin, or make quick moves posting, but its just like his FTs he thinks about it too much and doesn't have a solid, learned approach.

Is he overrated? no, not really. Could he be better? a lot. If the dude could hit his FTs, make quicker definitive movements inside, and take some FREAKING PICK AND ROLL BASKETS... then he would be leading the league in scoring.

nobody's perfect tho. and we're spoiled by witnessing Olajuwon...

1 person likes this.
  20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

2 reasons

Players are slacking up some because they know Dwight is protecting the rim.

We are not running the opposing team off the 3 point line.

That has nothing to do with Dwight