1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Somebody's gotta beat us four out of seven times."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ime-is-ticking-in-stacked-western-conference/

Yes, we have physical problems: injuries, age, bad shooting, lack of depth. But they don't adequately explain our dramatic falloff. Nor do the departures of some role players. What CP encapsulates in this quote is a huge mental problem. They seem to think "Run it back" means "We'll start cooking again in the playoffs." That goes a long way toward explaining these lackluster performances early in the regular season.

Think about the start of the 2017-18 season. We were coming off an embarrassing end to the previous season. We had just made a blockbuster trade. We were hungry. We were excited.

Sanguinity isn't just a response to some of this year's losses. It's the cause.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I think what's hard to tell in all this, is that what he actually believes/what the rockets believe or is he putting on a face for the crowd? One thing remains certain, this team needs a shakeup. The issue is, no half measure will do. You can't fire MDA if you don't have another elite level coach in place. You can't trade away key pieces to get assets to later acquire key pieces. Essentially, you can't take away from your rent money to pay for electricity here.

BasketMAD, Sajan, topfive and 3 others like this.
  3. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Huge part of this for sure. I think the team (err, CP and James) realized that going balls out during last year's regular season to get the 1 seed didn't really net them all that much. They went on the road and got wins, so even home court advantage doesn't mean as much to them as it probably should.

But at this point, there's a fine line between realizing that the regular season doesn't mean as much to them as it did last year, and totally missing the playoffs.

Richie_Rich, Scottay, Hmc415 and 3 others like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Chris Paul is right. Nobody's beating us 4 times in 7 games.

Nobody will need 7 games to beat us 4 times.

6. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Higher seeds get easier earlier opponents, will usually play fewer games in the first few rounds and will be more fresh later.

There's a zero percent chance that Paul is taking that for granted after playing multiple tough and grueling 7 game first round series as a 3-4 seed with the Clippers and having the team wear down / break down by the half way point of the second round.

7. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Have you seen the parity in the West?

BaselineFade and hakeem94 like this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He's right,0-4 first round their way.

lw17 likes this.
  9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

if you miss the playoff, then can you play a seven game series? The rockets could miss the playoff this year if they can not make thing right quickly.

ramotadab likes this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

One could certainly take it that way, Will. Especially seeing the results so far. OR, one could just say that is good "self confidence and bravado" from a team leader. Keeping confidence is important during tough times. That is leadership. Because you don't want to be pointing fingers. You want to build people up.

So, you can take CP's comments both ways.

I am a bit surprised at how easily this team is "letting go of the rope" in games. Last year the team had more resiliency. They didn't get blown out, ever. They took punches and punched back. Even through attrition.

The "grit" from last season is gone. The Rockets could have lost some of that with Ariza and Luc. And perhaps were trying to "get that back" with the Butler trade.

Can they "re-light the fire" internally to get that "grit" back? Or will selective, key roster moves need to be made to bring in a fresh dynamic?

BaselineFade and topfive like this.
  11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

A like is not enough for this slam dunk of a response.

lw17, BasketMAD, BigShasta and 3 others like this.
  12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Very astute. I could also see it as that as a leader CP3 says things like this because it makes him a lightening rod for the criticism the team is taking. He protects the Eric Gordons of the world by putting the spotlight on himself. Meanwhile, we don't notice that EG shoots 18% from 3 in the first 11 games.

Deuce likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

We can't keep waiting for the personnel we currently have to suddenly spring to life.

It's time.

We must trade OT for Clyde Drexler.

14. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Sure, but why would Paul who has had those issues through his career just come into the season thinking "well, there's going to be parity in the West, so who cares what seed we are". Paul is a smart guy and a student of the game. Over the last like 20+ seasons the top 2 records in the West get to the WCF like 90% of the time, and it's almost always a #1 or #2 in the finals. They can have that mentality, but that's the mentality you have for getting 55-60 wins vs fighting extra hard for 65 wins. You don't come into the first month of the season not trying too hard, that's a losers mentality.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I cringed when I heard that from him. It's an uncharacteristically defeatist comment from Paul. Kind of like Tristan Thompson saying the Cavs are the Eastern champs unless proven otherwise. This is not the time for the leader spitting out wise-ass technicalities.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fwiw: that comment was after the Minny drubbing. I'd cringe more if repeated after the Utah game.

Although I don't mind bravado and confidence in leaders, comments like that from Paul would emit more fortitude had Paul been successful in the playoffs when he was in his prime. Reeks of something he probably said while with the Clippers, too. Like, "Rockets have to beat us 3 games in a row. I don't see that happening." Or, Utah (2017) and Portland (2016) are not going to beat us in a 7 Game series.

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I don’t see it happening either since they won’t be in the playoffs.

Can’t get beat 4 out of 7 times if you’re not competing.
    [​IMG]

If by “in the mix when it matters most” he’s referring to ping pong balls, then I agree.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Or Sam and Horry for Barkley.

topfive likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Those words do not even work with Chris himself.

20. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

One can say it's confidence, it's defiance. But I saw arrogance, insecurity, and a lack of prudence.

Same as over and over again we hear D'Antoni wave his "we'll be alright", "tired legs" slogans. It gives you an increasing stupid look as the woes continue.

In order to avoid getting beaten 4 out of 7 times in the playoff, Chris, you either become GOOD and make the playoffs with a consistent performance, or you miss it altogether. I say you are drifting towards the latter.

lw17 likes this.