1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Somebody needs to get Steve Francis help...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eddiewinslow, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

This thread makes me sad.

I drive by The Right Step all the time and every time I do I think about the friend I used to visit there daily (while I was still drinking and drugging myself). He's dead now.

It took him five years after leaving rehab and he lost everything and everyone in the process but he finally drank himself dead. I saw him in the hospital two days before he died. He'd been a big and strong man most of his life but in that bed he was emaciated except for a distended belly and his skin was a sickly yellow as were the whites of his eyes. He was in a state of severe delirium and only barely seemed to know who I was.

For some people alcohol is the most insidious poison in the world, the one you give yourself so you can die as slowly and painfully as possible.

Three years ago I couldn't imagine a life in which I wouldn't drink every night and do blow or some other raunchy drug (meth, crack, ketamine, whatever was there) about every other night. I was saved by a woman, the taxi that hit me and broke my leg which forced me to slow down, therapy, psychiatry and that medicine love. It's not easy and nearly two years since my last drink I still haven't really figured out how to have fun, especially at a party or concert or bar, but I can't believe I lived as long as I did the way that I did.

One month ago tomorrow I gave up weed, which was the last thing to go. I even quit my 3 pack a day Kool smoking habit almost 6 months ago. But this is not to preach and not to boast.

Some people are able to use recreationally, moderately, responsibly; but some people aren't cut out for booze and drugs.

This thread makes me sad. It makes me miss my friend. And I hope that Steve Francis and so many millions of others -- "every strung out person in the whole wide universe" -- finds the power and the hope to heal.

4 people like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hang in there, brah!

1 person likes this.
  3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Thank you. I'm actually pretty lucky. I miss having fun and I miss being as social as I was but I don't miss being ****ed up. And I don't have any cravings at all, for any of that nasty stuff I used to do.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

On issues like this, don't hesitate to 'preach and boast'. It's through real world examples like yours that others find the strength and conviction to quit.

5. txstate1117

txstate1117 Member

Amen brother!

6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Thanks for sharing your story, Batman Jones. My story is similar to yours, only that I fought my demons 16 years ago. One night, while intoxicated, I completely lost sight of my eyes for a whole minute. Thought I was dying. Then the light came back. That was the last night I had hard liquor or any substance abuse. Subsequently, it was hard as he'll to go cold turkey, and only through support from friends and family I made to today.

Stevie needs the same type of help or the next news we hear from him might be his last.

7. coweye

coweye Member

I live in Germany but a friend of mine works in Houston for about 5 years now. He told me the same things that were said here. But he also told me that he is sill very nice if you ask him for an autograph. He spoke with him for about 10 minutes.
    I hope if Steve wants help someone will be there and giving him what he needs.
    Does anyone know if he is still running his foundation which provides scholarships for kids???

8. VanityHalfBlack

Agree, I tell him to go suck a fat one...

9. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

I'm at the 2013 Allstar game press conference at the Toyota Center. Steve Francis sighting. He's 10 yards away from me.

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Is he freebasing???

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sad news for Steve. I don't think any of us can know for sure that he needs help or to what extent he's messed up thought it is believable.

I think when he was in the NBA early on, it was all potential, and his inability to fulfill that potential followed by injury was difficult for him. He tried to diversify himself by working in the music business and other ventures that require a lot of socializing. That can be where a lot of drugs and alcohol are used, and it wouldn't be hard for someone to get off track.

Best of luck to him. I hope it works out, and he ends up happy.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Seems like a fun guy to party with though...

13. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

yeah just saw him introduced on NBATV....

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

15. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

cocaine is a helluva drug

16. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

When did SF3 become Debo?!!!

[​IMG]

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

2 people like this.
  17. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

OMG he looks 20y older than he is :(

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I guess he doesn't like suits. He looks upset...do these guys get invites for this event? Why would he attend if he didn't want to be there?

19. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Sad thread is sad. :(

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

and plenty money b****es get off his dick that's what's holding him up, thousands of clutchfaners hanging off his jock still, even ones like you that never liked him