1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

some thoughts on the Gibson saga

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by smiling_bear, Aug 2, 2006.

1. smiling_bear

smiling_bear Member

maybe it is just academic exercise, but what would people react if someone made the following remaks.

1. Israelies is responsible for all the wars in the middle east,

see the person is talking about Israel instead of Jews, does this make him an anti-semite ?

2. India is responsible for all the population problems in the world, China is responsible for all the pollutions in the world, United States is responsible for all the greenhouse effect in the world, are you an Indian/Chinese/American.

Does the above remarks make the person anti-indian/anti-chinese/anti-American ?

2. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

In my opinion, it's all about semantics... Anyway, my take on the Gibson situation is that he made his remarks while he was completely intoxicated. I'm sure everyone has said something stupid while he/she was drunk. He apologized for the remarks. What I don't understand is why the media is continuing to lambaste the guy. I mean, what he did was stupid and he assaulted the cop that tried to arrest him, but shouldn't the media be more concerned with the fact that the police department tried to cover up the incident with Gibson and treated him differently than they would any other regular Joe on the street?

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Spent much time in Los Angeles?

I didn't think so........

;) :D

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Anti-JEWISH-Defamation League I suspect does not differentiate Israelies and Jews.

5. crimson_rocket

Well the way they are said, it does make it seem anti-whatever. Since all of them are blanket statements directed at certain groups. What does Israel have to do with Iraq-Iran war? and the 2 point, where there's a deliberate calling out someone if they are Indian, Chinese, or American after criticizing baselessly on a group of people or country, has nothing to do with an individual. Yeah so it does seem racist. But let's not forget the dude said he was sorry and drunk and he's trying to make up for it.

6. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

I just read that the policeman that stopped Gibson was Jewish, not that it would matter to me, but it may have mattered ALOT to the cop when he stopped Gibson.

Here's why, when Mel Gibson made the movie "The Passion of the Christ" there were MANY Jewish leaders that said the movie was anti-semitic and would cause HUGE backlashes against Jewish people. That never happened, but it didn't stop many in the jewish community to continue to comment that he was an anti-semite.

My boss is Jewish and a great guy, salt of the earth type, but he said "That movie is just out and out anti-semitism" and I said, Did you see it? of course he hadn't. So in the Jewish community it may appear that there is a belief that Gibson is anti-Jewish, even though he pledged to a major project on the holocaust.

So what's my point? I think some people are looking to be offended and looking for racism whether it is there in great degree or not. The police report states that he was stopped immediately after leaving a place in Malibu that he frequents. I just started to wonder if the cop didn't have some agenda to go along with Gibson's stupid remarks. Obviously Gibson was wrong in what he did, but was he the only one?

7. smiling_bear

smiling_bear Member

my take is Gibson is not anti-semite as medias and ADL try to pin him on.
    He is just upset with the irresonsible behaviour of Israel in the latest war efforts against whatever-militant-group and Lebananese people.

He is probably very angry at Israel and Israelies (so do many other folks). what did he do ? he lost it and lash it out against the first jewish-looking people he sees.

In my book his behaviour is not racist, he is just confused about the difference between the state of Israel and people of Jewish descent.

it always amazes me how the jews/israel are always treated differently than any other racial/ethnic groups. I have no problem if people call me an ugly american/texan/californian, but if you call out a Jewish people all hell breaks loose.

8. RocketMan Tex

I think your take is off the mark.

Take a look at Mel Gibson's father. He is a holocaust-denier.

Obviously, Mel Gibson grew up in a household that was Anti-Semitic. His beliefs are deep rooted, and the combination of the alcohol he was drinking and the fact he was pissed about being stopped for DUI brought his Anti-Semitism out into the open.

9. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Wrong!

China is responsible for all the pollutions in the world.
    Greenhouse effect is a pollution problem.
    Therefore, China is responsible for greenhouse effect.

You shall not give China a free ride.

10. smiling_bear

smiling_bear Member

I am no tree-hugger, but US is producing twice more CO2 per capita than China, plus US didn't sign on the Tokyo Trearty. So before Yanks blaming China for pollution, we should look at ourselvess first.

unless you are joking, of course.

11. smiling_bear

smiling_bear Member

Look at the entire post-WWII German population, their fathers/grandfathers are active/silent holocaust-PARTICIPATORs and NAZI-sympathizers. They grew up in households of Nazi roots. Does this make every German anti-semitic ?

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't unless they then grow up and start saying things like " Jews started all the wars in the world, etc." Then that would make them anti-semitic.

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

They certainly don't for practical purposes. This is despite the fact that many educated Europeans Jews were not even in favor of moving to Israel to start a Jewish homeland.

I guess it is a strong simple statment to equate Jews, Zionism and Israel.

14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I agree that this statement smacks of anti-semitism. The mitigating factor is that apparently the arresting officer was Jewsish. People tend to get pretty mad at arresting officers-- especially for DUI and traffic offenses.

15. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

Apparently, Mel Gibson committed a hate crime when he went off on that drunken tirade. The ADL sure thinks so.
    How soon before Americans are prosecuted for thought crimes (against Jews)? Not soon enough if the ADL gets its way.

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1107012006

Jewish groups call for hate-crime probe on Mel Gibson
    CRAIG HOWIE IN LOS ANGELES

JEWISH groups have demanded Mel Gibson be investigated for hate crimes after the Hollywood star allegedly made anti-Semitic comments to US police officers when he was stopped on suspicion of drink-driving and speeding.

Gibson's reported criticism of Jews, contained in a leaked police report detailing his arrest early on Friday morning, included the phrase: "F*****g Jews. The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world."

He has since apologised for his actions, saying they were "despicable", but community Jewish leaders called for Gibson to be ostracised from Hollywood, where the A-list actor is considered an industry powerbroker.

Calling for a criminal investigation into the Oscar-winning actor and director's remarks, Abraham Foxman, the national director of the US Jewish Anti-Defamation League, said: "We believe there should be consequences to bigots and bigotry."

Gibson, 50, was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence after deputies clocked his Lexus sports car speeding at 87mph in a 45mph zone at 2:36am on Friday in Malibu, sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said.

The actor was later found to have a blood-alcohol ratio of 0.12.The legal limit in California is 0.08, according to the police records.

After Gibson was pulled over, a bizarre melee ensued that apparently involved Gibson trying to escape, his alleged propositioning of an arresting officer with lurid, explicit suggestions and claims that, while handcuffed in the back of a police car, Gibson threatened a deputy, saying he "owns Malibu" and will spend all of his money to "get even" with the officer.

He also allegedly asked an arresting officer if he was Jewish.

Gibson was taken to a police station in Malibu, where he allegedly threatened an officer, smashed a payphone and attempted to urinate in a cell.

He was released after about five hours in custody, on $6,600 (£3,550) bail. Police will decide this week whether to charge him.

Controversy now surrounds the police report into the incident, with claims emerging that it was rewritten because senior officers considered it to be "too inflammatory" and feared that it could incite a lot of "Jewish hatred".

Gibson has in the past angered Jewish groups over his portrayal of the role of the Jews in the crucifixion of Jesus in his largely self-funded movie, The Passion of the Christ, which went on to take $611 million (£328 million) at the box office.

Now, many in the industry are asking how Gibson can reconcile his comments with his position as one of Hollywood's most powerful players.

Nikki Finke, a columnist for LA Weekly and prominent chronicler of Hollywood, pointed out the "the overwhelmingly negative response" among Jewish audiences to The Passion of the Christ.

She also said several top Jewish executives have pledged privately never again to work with Gibson as a result.

However, Ms Finke said that in his daily schedule Gibson "works closely with many Jewish VIPs at talent agencies, law firms, and at the studio".

But she questioned whether a factual TV mini-series about the Holocaust that Gibson announced he was developing late last year would now be "too hot to handle".

Gibson, a Christian fundamentalist, has in past refused to criticise his father, Hutton, who has been labelled a Holocaust denier over comments claiming the Holocaust was "mostly" fiction.

The Australian actor has released an apology for his actions.

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed," he said.

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable.

"I am deeply ashamed of everything I said.

"I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse."

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the phrase, "Christian fundamentalist" is so bastardized. i have no clue what it means anymore.

17. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Hasn't that phrase been replaced by "Jesus Freak" in D&D lately? ;)

18. MadMax

no.

i'm using Jesus Freak as a distinction from Christian Fundamentalist.

but i'm sure there are a ton of baptist folks in the south who would never conceive of a Catholic in Latin Mass as a Christian Fundamentalist. The phrase means so many things now that it means absolutely nothing. I have no understanding anymore of who we're' talking about when someone says it.

19. RocketMan Tex

It stands for a guy who can do an amazing crossover dribble and who also goes to church every Sunday.

;) :D

20. MadMax

THAT'S AWESOME!! :D

from now on, that's how i'm going to interpret it. Francis was a professed Christian. Clearly not a fundamentalist.