1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some satisfied, others outraged with verdict for immigrant's death

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, May 3, 2009.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/02/pa.immigrant.beating/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Interesting . . .

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Well, if there wasn't enough evidence then there wasn't enough evidence.

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

They need to get the Feds involved. Sounds a lot like what used to be routine in the South when a black man got killed, but who knows.

It is tough to pin it on any one person when you have a gang like that.

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

How do you assign blame with multiple assailants? A bunch of guys jump on the victim and assault him, but if they walk away while one guy kicks him in the head. Are the others guilty if they stopped?

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Reading that made me sick. Reminds me of the JonBenet Ramsey murder. Murderer(s) go free.

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I find it appropriate to quote Kinky Friedman. "I'm not against the death penalty. I am against the wrong guy getting killed."

The fact is that if you cannot prove which of the multiple assailants caused the fatal injuries, you cannot prove up a murder case.

I do not doubt that a murderer went free in this case. I just don't know whether that murderer was a defendant in this case or whether they have not been caught, identified, or charged.

7. Dan B.

Dan B. Member

Everyone got off, on charges of assault and endangerment, not just murder.

I would agree that there isn't enough vidence to give anyone the death penalty. It was not used in this case anyway. I would even agree that murder may have been to high of a charge to file.

But every one of them deserved prison time for assault and manslaughter at least.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I thought there was some law . . about MOBS or something.

Rocket River

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

100% agree. But it still makes me sick to my stomach the murderer(s) did not get justice.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Between an immigrant family man in a strange town and a group of drunk teens it's not difficult to guess who would initiate a fight. Unless one of the teens tried to stop the fight or called the police to get help then they should all be guilty of murder. The guy's brain was oozing out of his freaking skull according to the ME. Some common sense is in order here.

1 person likes this.
  11. Landlord Landry

I can't believe you guys are wasting your time with this meaningless discussion while Mrs. Obama is out wearing $500 kicks. :mad:

12. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Should have been more than just simple assault.

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

What is the purpose of this thread? What are we supposed to be debating and discussing? Is the hidden intent of the OP one that is racially motivated?

Right now you guys are just guessing as to the facts of the case. Uninformed groping for answers in the dark....

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Woah. So there's NO law which determine how to spread punishment for what basically is group murder? In that case, if you want to kill someone, make sure you do it with a whole bunch of other people and you get away with it!?!?!?

That seems pretty weird.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

^Just make sure your neighbors are in the jury and that you are as American as apple pie.

1 person likes this.
  16. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

shouldnt this be at least involuntary manslaughter?

17. dmc89

dmc89 Member

We're discussing how one can get away with murder, provided the jury is of the same racial group and that there were multiple defendants involved.

Downplaying the racial message of the verdict is a type of racism (forgot the term) itself.

1 person likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah, so if i decide i want to kill someone, i can just take a group of my friends, act like we're just picking some random fight, and then all us blame each other as to who dealt the lethal blow? why arent' they all responsible?

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

first annual clutchfans mob beating?

20. surrender

surrender Member

And this is why we still have hate crime laws.