1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

"Some Rockets firmly believe that Ilyasova would nicely complement [Howard and Harden]"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 22, 2014.

1. basketballholic

Gee is non-guaranteed. He can be re-directed to Milwaukee and cut.

2. basketballholic

Here's the math from my previous post, http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9120374&postcount=44

3. lowlife

lowlife Member

[youtube]drgEaplEYxA[/youtube]
    [youtube]yG1gaCzKmBA[/youtube]
    [youtube]r58ONy-EK2g[/youtube]

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

I'm 50/50 on Ilyasova. I feel the Rockets should be the ones who get a sweetener to take on his contract but it's rumored Milwaukee are seeking a first rounder for him.

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'm kind of changing my opinion on Sova....

I think I do want him here...

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

7. basketballholic

If you read my post....you will see that I suggested trading Jones to get a decent first round pick out of the deal....a pick with lottery protection similar to the Asik pick. I also suggested a trade where we don't put Jones in the deal and we take back a couple second rounders for Ilyasova as compensation for his salary on our books.

However....it appears we're not going to do anything. Just saw a tweet (don't know about the credibility of it) that suggests the Asik trade is done. If that is so, there is still the possibility of acquiring Ilyasova by combining non-guaranteed deals and trading for him. However, to stay above the cap, we'll have to execute that type of trade in 2 months. If we execute it now, we'll be operating below the cap and losing the full MLE in exchange for the Room MLE.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Milwaukee aren't going to give assets up to get Ilyasova off their books, it's one of the benefits of being coach + president, you can synchronize being bad well enough to not have to.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If Ersan is to become a Rocket at all, I would expect it to happen much later in the offseason. While his combination of talent (if healthy and back to the level he exhibited prior to last year) and contract fits the Rockets needs, Morey is likely aiming for bigger, even if unlikely, targets first before turning to the likes of Ilyasova.

10. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Like Joey Dorsey.

11. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>One more note about Milwaukee: Hearing there's strong sentiment within the organization to keep hold of Ersan Ilyasova. Not trade him</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/489267128647049216">July 16, 2014</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>One more note about Milwaukee: Hearing there's strong sentiment within the organization to keep hold of Ersan Ilyasova. Not trade him</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/489267128647049216">July 16, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. Carl Herrera

Members of the organization developed this strong sentiment after shopping Ersan and finding no takers.

13. haydenfisher342

the best thing the bucks can do is get some first round picks and just irrelevant for a while. sova and delfino to Rockets please. Need another "im coming home" blast

14. Carl Herrera

Different situations:

Dorsey is a minimum wage signing. He doesn't the team any of its important roster building tools-- TPE, MLE, BAE, the non-guaranteed contracts and trade assets. Signing Dorsey does not prevent you from making ANY other player moves that you might want to do.

So, there is no reason to wait on Dorsey or Adrien or any other minimum wage contracts.

Ersan, on the other hand, will at least require the use of the TPE or a combination of players (likely those under non-guaranteed deals) in order to make a trade work. Trading for Ersan does prevent you from pursuing certain types of trades that you may prefer to acquiring Ersan.

15. Milos

Milos Member

I know it's an odd bump ...
    Even after all this time, I still see ERSAN ILYASOVA as the perfect 4 to plug in next to Harden/Howard/Lawson/Ariza and complete this starting lineup as Ring-worthy

Can't help but wish that lightning strikes twice, and we can once again poach the Pistons for a stretch 4 the second year in a row as SVG's latest experiment implodes
    http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2015/9/14/9322623/ersan-ilyasova-eurobasket-stats-2015-detroit-pistons

Hopefully Marcus Morris takes off at the 4 to prove the doubters wrong ...
    Or maybe the Reggie/Jennings PG combo proves as disastrous as Monroe/Smoove at F ...
    Maybe it becomes clear a Stanley/KCP F lineup is by far the most effective next to Drummond

We've debated his merits in this lineup here many times already:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=246969

Morey has been linked to him since back in 2011 ...
    http://journaltimes.com/sports/article_044d4b2a-9c8d-11e0-9d8c-001cc4c002e0.html

... and as recently as last summer:
    http://journaltimes.com/sports/bucks/bucks-beat-it-s-time-to-play-let-s-make/article_06b15216-f9ce-11e3-9cda-001a4bcf887a.html

Plus he's still got that beautiful TEAM OPTION $8.4M for 2016/17 ... keeping us perfectly positioned to jump on Durantula next offseason

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don't see how we can trade for him unless we're sending Brewer to Detriot. Not saying it definitely won't happen.....I like his fit with the Rockets (shooting, rebounding, and not horrible on defense).

Maybe if KJ emerges as a legit backup to Ariza we could consider it. That would be a reasonable way to clear Brewer's salary off our books for 2016, and you have the flexibility to keep Ilyasova if things don't work out with Durant.

From Detroit's perspective, I could see them doing a Ilyasova for Brewer straight up swap. That would give them a legitimate SF and allow them to move Marcus Morris to PF.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

defensively, i'm not sure i want ilyasova in our starting lineup

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I jumped on this thread, wondering why it got bumped.

I had thought of the chance of acquiring Ilyasova, given how some of his talents overlap with Marcus Morris'.

But getting Ilyasova now might mean, say, some sort of deal when Brewer is eligible for trade (December? January?), and maybe even to Phoenix in order to trade à trois Markieff to Detroit, Ilyasova to us.

Too many power forwards? Expand the trade.

19. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Yeah, and it would have to be a late guarantee date/option for Ilyasova for it to make sense with Durant's chase.

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Too injury prone. pass