1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some perspective - AIG Financial Products Employee's Public Resignation Letter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by yo, Mar 25, 2009.

1. yo

yo Contributing Member

Makes me want to retract that pitchfork I've been wielding.

---

AIG Financial Products Employee's Public Resignation Letter

Here is a resignation letter sent on Tuesday by Jake DeSantis, an executive vice president of the American International Group's financial products unit, to Edward M. Liddy, the chief executive of A.I.G. It was published in the New York Times.

Jake DeSantis writes:

2. yo

yo Contributing Member

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Idiot would have got 0 if not for the gov't so he should stfu.

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

There goes the myth that all the bonuses were going to the CDS employees.
    He said most of them have already left. Yes, you can still profit in equities in a bear market. If somebody is on the losing end of a trade, they got burned by the winner.

The rock stars got offered jobs, but chose to stay to get their retention bonus. Now that there is no bonus, they will take up new jobs and split. Tax payer money ain't gonna get paid, when all the money making talent has left AIG. The CDS crooks are gone. The profit makers are gone. The taxpayers now own 80% of a company of mediocre and average employees. We will get even less money back when they get broken up and sold.

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

He ends up with 0 anyway, so you win. He donated it all.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Except that they had job offers elsewhere they could have taken, but were promised the money once the company was bailed out.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

And when he finds another six- or seven-figure salaried corporate job within the year, he'll have a nice little tax deduction waiting for him next April. Add the self-imposed vacation and the vanity editorial in Times, and it looks like he still wins.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

It's a little naive on his part to not recognize that he did in fact work for AIG, and like it or not, his bonus would in some fashion depend on the rest of the company's performance. Most companies don't give bonuses purely based on each individual business unit's performance, but rather also include a portion based on the overall company's performance. I'm not sure of the details of his BU's arrangement, though

1 person likes this.
  9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The whole stinking mess reminds me of Abu Graib. The big fish get off. This guy may indeed be innocent.

Rubin, Paulson, Phil Gram, Greenspan, the AIG guys and the rest should be called to Congress and have to testify under oath until we find out exactly how this mess happened and who should have to repay back money to the tax payers and who should have to go to jail.

10. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

OMG! I can't believe my eyes: it's a bigtexxx post that I agree with 100%. :eek: What is the world coming to?!?

11. Major

Major Member

He made that choice on his own though. This 90% tax isn't going to pass and everyone knows that. So he's just throwing himself a little pity party to make a public statement.

12. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I gotta admit that I don't feel real sorry for the dude. There are a ton of people way worse off than him. If he had\has other opportunities, good luck. If not, it is what happens. Look at Enron. Lots of people didn't do anything wrong and they got royally ****ed, way worse than this douche.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I certainly don’t feel sorry for the guy either as I struggle to pay 2 mortgages every month, but I don’t think he’s a “douche” or an “idiot” for being upset that he’s become a target for a bunch of grandstanding politicians and now even his own CEO, when all he’s doing is trying to diffuse the ticking time bomb that his predecessors (not him) planted and got filthy rich for doing so.

I understand that AIG is pretty much a 4-letter word now and anyone who works there may as well be Andy Fastow as far as the general public is concerned, but this guy seems to be on the up and up.

14. Zion

Zion Member

F this stupid ass simp

-I did not get a bonus this year.
    -About a quarter of our employees have been layed off and there is another round of layoffs coming. They have already cut all salaries by 10%.
    -I also work 10 to 12 hours a day including some Saturdays and Sundays. Last month i logged 136 hours in 10 days.

I don't even work in the Financial Sector. I have less to do with this mess than you yet i am also paying the price. I'm supposed to feel sorry for this guy. :mad:

People think we have become too PC, i think we have become too civilized. We should take a page from the French and setup a Guillotine right on Wall Street.

15. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

What industry are you in?

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Agree, but please do not forget Franks, Dodd, Holder, et al in the Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and banking debacles.

17. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

If it gets a lot worse, I wouldn't be shocked if something like this doesn't happen. Would it be a terrible thing? Maybe, maybe no.

1 person likes this.
  18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Whether Republican or Democrat or Communist or Libertarian or whatever, the rule of law always should apply. The country really is in trouble if you espouse "lynch law." To forget -- or apparently not even to know -- is truly sad.

19. Artesticle

Artesticle Member

And this is coming from the same people who get upset when an armed robber gets shot. Liberal logic, go figure.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

how many liberals on this board have advocated lynch mob 'justice' for these people?

1 person likes this.