1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some minor thoughts about the Rockets and the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Mar 26, 2014.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I would like to see an upgrade over Garcia/Casspi/Hamilton in the offseason. Our second unit backcourt/wings need an upgrade IMO. Other than that, we are set.

2. jtr

jtr Member

As do we all. And Morey has the MLE to play with so we can be hopeful.

3. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Hmmm I wonder what the consensus on Parsons will be if Rockets end up paying him 10 million a year.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think it really depends on what happens before Parsons signs. I think Rockets attempt to add one more star or close player first. Once that happens, Parsons will have a lot of leverage as Rockets will have to either overpay him or lose him for nothing except maybe some room before hitting luxury tax apron (and might hit apron anyway).

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm still interested to see more from Hamilton. Rockets also have Papanikolaou who might come over and Covington in RGV. My hope is Paps comes over.

6. bmd

bmd Member

The 4 spot is still lacking.

Rockets are getting by with who they have at the 4, but neither Jones nor D-Mo are very good. They do some good things here and there and don't make too many errors, so they are adequate.. but the 4 spot is lacking.

7. jtr

jtr Member

This is Morey's game. As it stands now Parsons will not be addressed until the summer of 2015. A UFA with the Rockets holding the Bird rights. That summer I could actually see Les going into the luxury tax. Perhaps we will see some strange new contract wrinkle. However this issue is just Morey playing his cards correctly. Sign a big FA in 2015 and then work with Parsons. Or don't.

8. jtr

jtr Member

A good point. Could this observation be narrowed down to the question "Do the Rockets have enough at PF to stop the Clippers and Blake?"

9. bmd

bmd Member

It could.

The PF spot is the most obvious weakness. The 4 other starting spots are good. Backup C is good, Lin is a decent backup PG, Hamilton is good enough for a backup.

The only spot that needs obvious upgrading is the 4 spot.

Any other position you are replacing already good players with slightly better players. Or at least players who are just as good but with different strengths.

10. jtr

jtr Member

I agree. And Morey does have the MLE to work with next season if he thinks the PF spot needs upgrading. I believe Morey has to keep D-Mo around as the backup center once Asik leaves. Jones however (the starting PF) is a real question mark in my mind.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The 4 position is averaging 20 points and 10 rebounds a game. Those are some pretty solid numbers. Oh and jtr did you see Jones handling his business last night. Lol

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Dmo is trade bait as well, the Rockets can find another backup Center if

13. Kwame

Kwame Member

You wasted your money, but you seem to know that already. You could've also gotten better odds:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/odds/futures/

#73 Kwame, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

This is exactly what we need time and chemistry. Like you said Morey shouldn't mess with his core players, all he has to do is make some minor adjustments to this team.

15. jtr

jtr Member

Morey has the MLE to work with. I would rank the Rockets players and rotations by position from strongest to weakest as:

SG #1 in the NBA
    Center #1 in the NBA
    SF top 15 in the NBA
    PG top 20 in the NBA
    PF Houston we have a problem

It would not surprise me to see Morey package up Asik, Jones, Covington and a first for a top 10 PF this off season. But then who knows what Morey is going to do? Does even Morey?

Houston has a passable rotation at PF. Between D-Mo and Jones McHale can exploit the weaker PF's with Jones and use D-Mo against the strong big power forwards. Not ideal but it is what the Rockets have.

16. Play07

Play07 Member

believe it or not the rockets can come out the west this year. Everything is going to depend on DWIGHT HOWARD on how far this team goes. When you combine that with this teams LUXURYS we should be able to beat the spurs, clippers, okc.

Mchale – he does a great job, he’s done his part by incorporating an offense around harden & howard. McHale can’t get out there and run the plays himself. STARS step up in playoffs. Harden will do his job when teams focus on Harden it will be time for Howard to take us home, will he ?

Bench – bench will have to step up. WE will need lin, DMO, and whatever wing to be solid. Asik will do his part. But at the end of the day the starters play 40 minutes in playoffs unless theirs foul trouble so I don’t see a reason why a bench can cost us a game.

PF – yes we don’t have the stretch 4 yet but we have to guys that are more than serviceable at this position paired with 2 stars who have finals experience.
    LUXURY 1 - WE have a luxury of having 48mins of rim protection, solid post D and rebounding at center. This is our luxury that we have to ride going into playoffs. Teams don’t have this that we will face.

LUXURY 2 – Twin towers, this is another luxury we have, when we face teams with a PF that we can’t slow down.

LUXURY 3 – Best SG in the league who can create his shot, and best center in the league who should be well prepared for playoffs.

17. Play07

Play07 Member

it really amazes me how people think the rockets cant win because of the PF spot.
    That’s a cop out to me if DWIGHT HOWARD is really worth the money he should take us past clippers & okc or we are the same team as last year PERIOD. James has took his game to another level hes did his part.

18. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Another thing people tend to forget when comparing records of the top teams in the east vs the top teams in the west.....
    Yes record is one thing, and its easy to say that at 43 wins Dallas/Memphis would be 3rd seed in the west. But what would the Rockets', Mavs, Suns' (etc) record be if they played Philly, Miluakee, Charlotte, and Orlando 4 times each instead of the Spurs, Clippers, Thunder, and Blazers?

19. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

East. Sorry.

20. jtr

jtr Member

Yep. As I have said all along, the Rockets are contenders this season. The PF match up is only critical against the Clippers and Blake. Portland and LMA is the team everyone wants to face in the first round. The Spurs and Duncan are certainly beatable as demonstrated this season. The East? Indiana is a pushover for the Rockets and the Heat are not constructed around the PF. We will see.