1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some minor thoughts about the Rockets and the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Mar 26, 2014.

1. WinkFan

WinkFan Member

This would make sense if any of your numbers were real. The truth is, the Rockets shot over 30% from 3 even in their losses, and no team in the league shoots 45% from midrange, much less the Rockets.

2. jtr

jtr Member

Thank you sir! I do not think so either.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I find DMo works better with Dwight and Jones works better with Asik lately. DMo boxes out better which helps the Rockets when Dwight goes for block. Asik does so well positioning so DMo's ability to rebound is a little redundant and he covers up Jones's lack there of.

Granted it is a small sample size the last 20 games or so.

4. jtr

jtr Member

I am not smart enough basketball wise to tell who works best with whom. I do believe defense is the key issue here. Just wow on PF defense is all I have to say.

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It works, but I'm having to use a magnifying glass to read the text. There must be a better way. Maybe a smaller graphic?

OK, I made it to the second page.

6. jtr

jtr Member

I can do that. Thank you for the pointer.

7. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

This. When you follow a team so closely, you see their warts in HD. Every team has issues and match up problems.

8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

For the most part I agree with OP that we are title contenders. However, I would feel a lot better about our chances if we had a tough, experienced PF like David West. That guy on a talented team like the current Rockets could be the difference maker, especially when you already have two of the best players at their respective position in Harden and Howard.

9. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Very good thread with great points but I've gotta call you out on this. The Pelicans are a mediocre team sitting at a .437 winning percentage. At this clip they would not be a playoff team in the Eastern conference. Playing more games against Eastern conference teams would not bump their amount of wins by 9 games.

10. jtr

jtr Member

OK. You caught me there. I have no numbers to back my opinion up. LOL. Just my opinion. But I was attempting to illustrate how much weaker the EC is.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

OKC is problematic because you can't stop Durant. The PF issue seems to be they are really troubled by OKC's physicality and shot blocking inside. There's not much you can do here to be honest. You have to outgun OKC because if you get into a tangle with them, they will win. We just don't have the guys who can bother Durant and out-muscle them at the 4. They are just a tall athletic physical team and our 4's seem to get steamrolled. Honestly I don't think we can get past them in a 7 games series. I'll be happy if we can win 2 games. It might be a 5 game series again though if WB is at full strength.

With Clippers, they also have size that seems to bother Jones/Dmo. But the other big issue is that you have BG who the only one that can guard him is Asik. He lights up everyone else, including Howard. If we play LAC, you probably have to play Asik a lot on BG for us to have much of a chance. Then you have all those 3 point shooters. It's a nightmare. It's the opposite type of game we have to have with OKC. Basically turning the game into a grueling slow down match and trying not to let them transition offense to open treys. We don't have the firepower to keep up with LAC's barrage of 3 point threats. Especially if Redick is healthy. If we are shooting the 3 well, we could give them a run for the money. But it could also be a very short series. I think they could take us down in 6 games.

Both of these teams will be a handful. We need to be far better at execution. But the biggest issue is we lack 3 point shooting at the 4 position to really spread the floor and give our guards and Howard more room to operate.

I think the key will be how well Asik/Lin play to be honest.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I don't think we are missing anything other than time and chemistry.

This team in a year will be so much better, and more established in their roles.

They might win it this year, though certainly would not be favored.....here is to hoping Mr. Morey is a little more patient with this group - they have it all - just need time to figure it all out.

DD

13. jtr

jtr Member

You alluded to roster turnover. Certainly a huge problem with 4 new starters last season and 3 this season.

14. jocar

jocar Member

Disagree with this. I would've liked to have seen either Covington or Daniels get tossed into the fire earlier. At 40+ mpg, Parsons and Harden need relief. Too many minutes, too much dependence. Or at least use these guys to help save their legs for the playoffs.

15. jtr

jtr Member

You certainly could be correct. But I tend to trust McHale on the matter. He does seem to have a "feel" for when to integrate young players into the rotation.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Harden has not been affected by the minutes. Parsons looks like it, but Rockets lose leads when he is on the bench. I am surprised Covington didn't get a little more time earlier. Right now, it is all about getting Hamilton to gel with teammates.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think if you take our talent level and coaching together, we are definitely contender status.

Where we are not quite there are some intangibles like fouling 3 point attempts, stepping out of bounce with the ball, missed defensive assignments, and errant and ill-advised passes.

Many games are decided by very few points. We cant afford to give opponents a few points every game via the above miscues. Call it immaturity, experience or mental toughness, we don't have the talent advantage over the top WC teams to compensate for these.

IMO, SAS is the model for minimizing giving away points via miscues. If you beat them, it wont be because they defeated themselves. Conversely, giving away 2 points here and 3 points there could be the difference between winning and losing a 7 game series.

Given the relative evenness of talent of those teams in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, the discipline a team conveys in the other areas becomes magnified. And this is the area where Houston has not showed consistency.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Pellies have a 63% winning percentage against East and 29% against West. At those percentages and adjusting for number of games east teams play west and East, Pellies are 36-35 solidly in the playoffs. Not home court though.

19. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

Don't forgot Jordan Hamilton is on rookie contract also.
    Basically Rockets' 9-man rotation include 2 max, 2 poison pills and 5 rookie contracts.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

Time could help shape Rockets into a contender for sure....but i think it's hard to say right now. Adding a player like Anthony would definitely do the trick though. But as it stands, we need at least another year.