1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Some interesting stats for the series 3 games in....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, May 5, 2019.

1. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

came here for the moreys new stat on the refs, left satisfied with what i got regardless of the initial disappointment

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Keep in mind, he's not really comparing apples to apples. The comparison should be the Tuckwagon lineup (which features Harden, Paul and Gordon) vs the Starters with Capela...against the Hampton 5.

Those are the Tuckwagon +/-, but I'm pretty positive those are not the plus/minus for the starters, but rather any lineup with Capela, whether it has JH,CP3, and EGo with him or not, like the Tuckwagon has -- (I've run the Game 1/2 starter numbers, but not Game 3 yet)

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

harden's defense and overall efficiency go unnoticed by national media and fair-weather basketball fans. they see low fg%, high turnovers, lots of ugly 1 on 1, high FTA's and flops. oh and they love pointing out how he won't shoot a mid range J.

what this data tells me is the obvious, less Clint and more Austin in this series. I wouldn't leave harden on KD though. he's going a great job but: (1) we switch everything so we can't guarantee he stays on KD the whole game, and (2) I don't want him getting tired or in foul trouble.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Two good points, but it's also pretty important to limit KD's scoring.

waytookrzy079 and Deckard like this.
  6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yeah its a tough choice. harden is more important to us than KD is to them, though. I lean towards keeping harden's energy up and out of foul trouble.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was curious based on the title. It's actually way more interesting than I could have imagined. Very cool.

hakeem94, Lawlruschang and Deckard like this.
  8. pippsux

pippsux Member

I guess we will thank Tmac for recommending Rivers over Capela. Save for that two handed rejection of Iggy, and a few moments, I barely notice him. Rivers however is balling, I don't know data, but I know the eye test....

For this matchup

Rivers>Capela

hakeem94 and Hard_foul like this.
  9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Winning game 4 is all that matters.

10. SemisolidSnake

Here are the basic +/- numbers for the two in the HOU-GSW series. It feels weird to be choosing between a point guard and a center, but way less weird in this case than it ought to be.

Code:
    Score                    | +/- Capela | Minutes | Notes              | +/- Rivers | Minutes | Notes

Game 1   104-100 GSW win | -17        | 26:49   | Worst +\- on team  | N/A        |         | DNP (sick)
    Game 2   115-109 GSW win | -19        | 32:50   | Worst +\- on team  | +10        | 24:16   | Best +/- on team
    Game 3   115-109 GSW win | -8         | 34:53   | Worst +\- on team  | +9         | 27:46   | 2nd best +/- on team
                                                                                                  (Nene +10 in 8:53)

11. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Draymond gives Capela fits. The proper match up should be Draymond vs PJ. Let Tucker play center & put Gordon at PF. I'd throw Shump out at SF for defensive purposes. MDA is playing with FIRE playing Nene with GS shooters

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

I am just not getting how we even compete for rebounds if Tucker is at 5 and we play 4 guards. Maybe height is not important for rebounding?

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very nice, OP. I was also a little confused by the title, but like FB, ended up enjoying the info.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

EG doesn't rebound well enough to go small all the time. MDA is "playing with fire" with Clint and Nene because no one can be counted on to get rebounds.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

PJ is relentless. PJ got all the rebounds down the stretch and in OT. If PJ doesn't open all nine gates, no one is rebounding in the small lineup.

James.B.H, Louka, Deckard and 6 others like this.
  16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to see the advance stats with Nene on the floor. The eye test tells me that he has been playing pretty well and is making a difference out there by boxing out and now allowing golden State to be physical with him.

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Any nene rebounding stats? Even my wife noticed that he was moving people last night.

18. icewill36

icewill36 Member

james has played good defense all year

19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Is there a stat for our players getting poked in the eyes vs their players getting poked in the eyes? I don’t know, but I think we’re getting severely outplayed in that stat!

Go Rockets !!!

Jake Tower, hakeem94, Deckard and 6 others like this.
  20. jowman

jowman Member

Starting to wonder if there’s some merit to the GS fans complaining about losing iguodala against us. Against most teams he’s a role player, but playing us they get to use a lineup that is very favorable for them.

By going small with iggy they render Capela (our second leading scorer in reg season) useless. By doing so we have to pick our poison either go super small and get killed on rebounds and exhaust our players or keep Capela in the game and have Green obliterate him on both ends of the floor.

Iguodala by himself ain’t much but allows GS to have a main lineup without a traditional big, by having 5 very good long versatile players. They could just sub another player for him but can’t replace the versatility and veteran savvy he brings. Putting in looney allows us to use Capela like we normally do. Capela against most teams is a plus, but against the warriors he is absolutely the worst player to have at C with his skill set and lack of mental toughness.

Unfortunately for us I don’t see how we can win without Capela coming up big but don’t see how we can play him without one of their 5 guys getting injured

#20 jowman, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019