1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some Good Signs to a Great Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BackNthDay, Nov 5, 2014.

1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Really impressed by this team based on the following:
    1. The win against Utah after the Laker's opening, normally we lose that game because of a lack of focus.
    2. Winning the trap game against Philly because we are looking ahead to Miami and South Beach (we know James's affinity for a certain type of night life)
    3. Very short back to back win against a good Miami team that was undefeated. I didn't realize how much Ariza has improved in the area of confidence to take and make shots. I thought he was on par with Chandler, however, he is clearly superior.

Lastly, looking towards games against the San Antonio, LAC, and Portland which will provide a clear indication of how we stack up. I would also include Phoenix and Sacto at a level below.

Looking forward to an awesome occasion.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

First real tests coming up against the Spurs & Warriors. The Heat are just another team from the EC.

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Our only test is the L.A. Clippers and OKC once they get healthy.

4. bmd

bmd Member

The Heat are a good team. And to beat them on the road in the second game of a back-to-back was a real test.

The Rockets didn't win both games of a road back-to-back at all last year. This year they've already done it twice.

5. jdjd

jdjd Member

I think the most important sign of the year thus far is the fact that we are holding opposing teams to around 90ppg. The defensive effort has been vastly improved, either by the efforts of Harden, the addition of Ariza and Jet, but mostly by the addition of TR Dunn who I believe hasn't gotten enough credit.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Jinx alert.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm with this 100%. It's that they're playing defense and closing out...playing defense with intensity...that has me excited.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Without Lebron, they're a team led by a tranny dinosaur. Zero respect given, zero respect deserved.

9. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

How about this for ya: 108 - 3x 104 - 108. Numbers don't lie, it's written in the sky, we will finally get a piece of the pie!

10. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

The 90 ppg is even more impressive when you look at what those same teams are doing in their other games. Here are their average ppgs not including the game against us.

LA - 105
    Utah - 107
    Boston - 117
    Philly - 89.3
    Miami - 109.3

So outside of the Philly game we're holding teams 15-20 points below their average. Even with the small sample size that's still a good sign.

1 person likes this.
  11. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Great point, our defensive focus has improved drastically. Is this because of TR Dunn and Ariza? Also, has James improved his focus on defense as well. If we can get Dmo and Tjones to rebound better on the defensive end it will only improve more.

12. SemisolidSnake

Yeah, the team I watched last night on defense I would never have suspected was the Rockets having them watched them all last year. And it truly WAS Harden that was leading the defensive energy of the team. It was a wonderful thing to behold.

Clearly, there's a combination of factors. Harden seems to have matured mentally greatly between seasons. Maybe all those Youtube videos of his defense inspired a "Choke City" response in him like it did in the championship team. Our player pickups this season, particularly Ariza, have just immediately improved the D. I don't know much about TR Dunn, but there's no doubt that coaching is a major factor as well, so if he's responsible, the greatest of props to him. If they keep this mental toughness through the season, man, oh, man, I'm going to spend a lot of nights watching every detail of Rockets games. Better start figuring out how to work around that and still be productive.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Just over 5% of the Rockets shots last year were contested threes.
    Just over 6% of the Rockets shots this year are contested threes.
    About 28% of Rockets shots last year were open threes.
    About 36% of Rockets shots this year are open threes.

The Rockets seem to be about as selective as last year in threes, but are shooting more threes because they are getting more open looks. So the Rockets lose two of their three best facilitators and they're able to generate more open looks from three. Harden has been the best facilitator in the NBA so far considering he's the 5th best in points generated and the best in points generated/assist opportunity among players with at least 3.5 apg.

1 person likes this.
  14. Mr Chuck Norris

Can you imagine all the TO's we'll average if we had Lin?

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Not overlooking San Antonio or Golden State, but the real test is the Clippers. Four losses bad losses last year. We were able to beat any other team at least once. The Clippers totally dominated us last year. It is high time for a payback.

16. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

It's been said many times before, but we'll truly be tested by teams with multiple good bigs. But it's been a long time since I've been this excited about a Rockets team.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

I can see a good chemistry developing in this group. Ariza is comfortable where he is, very different from last time round when he took many questionable shots. Papa, well, Euro guys are mostly good chemistry guys. I really want to see this group to play together for a few seasons, the big thing will happen eventually.

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think people really underestimate the power of having two top 10 players. Not one team with two allstars let alone top 10 players have been disrespected as much as Houston in the media.

Dwight is still a force down low, do I think you can realistically win a championship with him as the number 1 option? No. With that said I think Dwight accepting what seems to be a secondary role so far and just playing his game has made him possibly the best 2nd option in the entire nba because of the impact not only he but the center position makes on a single game. Plus there's no center even close to him talent wise and that's from the most objective stance I could have on a rockets player.

Now let's get to what or should I say "who" might lead us to a championship maybe even as soon as this year. for all the flack harden has taken the past 2 years, theirs know doubt that he's changed the rockets franchise in the now and future by 10 folds. He's what rockets fans had been wanting since Yao retired, a closer. He's been historically great on offense before turning 25 and equally as bad on defense. What we're seeing this year is bigger than any free agent we could have got because out own player came back a new leader, defender, passer and teammate. This guy is hitting on all points from a basketball standpoint on both sides and is the clear front runner for MVP so far.

IMO you only have 2 players who you can win a ring with right now in Lebron and KD. The spurs can get it done but their the only team who can do this without having those two guys. James harden is getting close to that group of 2 guys, it's scary to think and maybe a little premature but his leadership and passing have been what this team has needed more so than his defense and we know that's bad. Now throw in legit defense, he was a monster in Miami on D and you have a a guy who's a legit MVP and top 3 player because he can function as any player on the court. We know he can score but this team ball passing is very similar to the way Lebron approached the game. His rebounding has been fantastic he's just a changes player and the work he puts in is showing not only is his game but the players he's playing with believe in him also and it's showing their too.

The rockets are foreal and a legit threat to win it all this year. It make take a few months for national media to catch on but when you have two top 10 players who compliment each other this well your always in the hunt. Throw in that one might be the best player in the game so far this season and is a no brainer that the rockets have a legit chance to come out the west.

19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I still think that's the problem. Mainly the power forward that would torch us, who plays alongside a 7 footer. Clippers Memphis and Portland will give us trouble.

20. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

I'd say Dwight is as important to this team's success as Harden. Having said that, if I were the opposition, I'd look to attack Howard at every opportunity and get him in foul trouble. Our defense & rebounding goes down the drain when he's not on the floor, and we have no-one to cover his absence with Asik gone.