1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some Cuttino love

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fatman510, Feb 28, 2004.

1. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Despite all the bashers last year (ahem...me), in the offseason and even throughout this year, Cuttino Mobley has really been the star of the season for the Rockets. He has completely bought into Van Gundy's system and is playing solid intelligent basketball.
    I would just like to make a shoutout to Cuttino Mobley, the MVP of the Houston Rockets!

2. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I second that.

I got REAL fustrated last couple of years watching him play. The one thing that drove me crazy was when the team actually had some good ball movement in the half court set (which was very few and far between), the ball would get to him and he would do nothing with it. He would just sit there juking or dribbling between his legs and forced a bad shot. I haven't seen this this year at all and recently looks as if he has a catch and drive mentality, which with his quickness and great first step is great.

But, I would agree. Cuttino or JJ are our MVPs.

3. playahata

playahata Member

THirded....Cuttino has not been the problem this year.

4. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Fourthed. Cuttino has gotten the job done this year and he is not a cap burden like some of our other guards.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

5th.

Cuttino is stepping up like a man and is really fitting into JVG's schemes. He's playing hard-nosed aggresive on the ball defense and is controlled his game to fit into the offense. All the Cat needs is a good PG to give him and Yao the ball.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good thread. I thought before coming into this season that Cat had the most to gain from a coach like JVG. Cat has always been a good defender because he is quick and he hustles. His ability is without question, it was his mind that got him into trouble. He still occasionally reverts back, but not often and usually not in situations where the consequences are so bad. His passing has improved as well. It seems like in the past few weeks, every time I look at the box score he has as many assists as anybody or more. I have really grown fond of him and Jim Jackson over the course of the season. I hope they both stick around.

7. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

him and JJ need to be co-mvp's.....

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So if Cat can come around, will Steve as well?

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He isn't our MVP but he is playing within the team concept and doing a good job. I hope he will keep it up for the rest of the season.

10. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating after the last couple games. I'm officially off the "trade Cuttino" bandwagon and I'm sorry I ever doubted the guy. He's completely adjusted to Van Gundy's system and has deferred to Yao as the #1 option. Sure, once or twice in a game, he'll still take a bad fadeaway, but every other aspect of his play has been stellar this season.

What I've really been impressed with lately is his passing. He had that beautiful feed to Yao for the game-clinching dunk against Cleveland and the steal and fast break dish to Mo for the slam last night against Portland(when's the last time Steve ever made a play like that?). His shooting has been streaky at times this year, but the bottom line is dude shows up for every game and plays his ass off and I'm grateful we never got rid of him this past offseason.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

honestly...I still havent been able to give up on SF yet.

everytime I get ready to...he has a good game(team-wise)...he is getting better at getting others involved....alot of the times to the detriment of his own game..

I am actually pleased at his team game he last week or so...if he could just shoot like he was against Port..he got his shots in the flow of the offense..and was able to intermix them with some nice passes...

and has anyone else noticed that his steals and turnovers in the last two games have been pretty decent?
    7 assists, 4 steals and 2 turnovers against the Cavs
    and 5 assists, 5 steals and 4 turnovers against the Blazers

Its not enough to say that he is safe...but if he can keep it up for the rest of the season and keep hitting his shots...his departure may not be as imminent as most think.

now...as far as Cat....I've been praising the guy for most of the season...he and JJ are the MEN on this team right now....JJ from the outside and with the invaluable veteran leadership....and Cat with his scoring and defense. I especially loved to see how last night he started hitting from outside...then once he had them scared of that...he started driving to the hole...

Meeeeooowww! ;)

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

It bugs me to say it, but on a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 fast break, I'd much rather see Cat in the middle with the basketball than anyone else. In fact, it's not even close. The only other person I'd want to consider to be running the middle of the break would be JJ.

Cat has played outstanding this year, save for a few knuckleheaded plays, like trying to take away rebounds from Yao, etc. I like his attitude and hustle. I don't think JVG gives him enough credit. He plays D, hits the open shots, is a good 3 point shooter as well as slasher, spreads the floor, hits his FT's, and defers to Yao. What else can we expect of him?

14. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

IIRC I would like you all to remember that we drafted cat to play pg.

He has passing skills.

15. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cat had a good game last night.

I wish he worked with Yao.

Most of this season, it's been like they are on two seperate islands. Zero connection.

If Cat can prove he's Yao-friendly, he's got skills to be a keeper. If not, bye bye.

16. fatman510

fatman510 Member

I disagree with you there. Cuttino has been deferring to Yao all year and passes to him whenever he can.

17. Man

Man Contributing Member

I agree. I have been very pleased with Cat!! He's been GREaT!!! Too bad he sucked athe All Star 3 point contest...but he's been draining 3's all season. Very nice. And that game against the Cavs was awesome. He is a great member of the Rockets! Too bad he fouled Voshon Lenard that night...3 free throws.. :p

Still fantastic. Please don't trade him! Hopefully not. Great job

18. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

Yao-friendly????

He only plays 32.5 min a game and can only be involved in about 1/3 to 1/2 of the plays. What im getting at is, there will be rockets offence that does not involve Yao Ming

I dont think Ming has proved that he can be the focal point of the team at THIS time. IMO Steve, Cuttino, Mark, and Jim are the leaders of this team and will be for years to come. Yao Ming is a great center and will be even better. But I just think hes too passive to demand a certain level of play from his teamates.

Besides, the languge barrier(sp) is a much bigger problem then most ppl relize

And I agree about Cuttino, I still think hes one of the best sg's in the game and would be a stupid idea to try to move now or ever.

19. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I love Mobes and think that he is a great SG. If I had to choose having to trade either Francis and Mobley, I would pick Francis (keeping the relative value of each player and what they would command in a trade in mind).

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I'm down for showing Cuttino some love. The guy has been nothing short of amazing this year. His speed and athleticism have once again made him extremly dangerous on both ends of the court this year. He and Steve have proven to be one of the most explosive back-courts in NBA history. I swear the guy has gotten quicker has his career has progressed.