1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some Advice please

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Joker, Nov 27, 2011.

1. The Joker

The Joker Member

Hey guys. I'm 23 working in retail and I was wondering if you guys had some good advice about ways to get noticed and move up. Last few months my management team has said they have been real impressed with me and my work. I was wondering if there was anything I can do to continue to impress.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Bring them something to eat and snitch on your co-workers.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused:

If you don't know what you've been doing, I can't help you, man.

(Continue to do what you've been doing, but do it better and don't piss off people who don't do a better job than you. :cool: )

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Be reliable. Don't be a kiss-ass.

5. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Bring them some snitch and eat off your co-workers.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Coke and hookers. Works every time.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If you work in retail, just don't quit and you will move up by default.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you talk to your superiors ask about their job, but make sure the questions you ask show you've been thinking about it from their perspective.

For instance, say something like "Man that's got to be difficult to make a decision like you did about x. You have to think about blah and blah before you even start thinking about the decision. It must make work more exciting doing that kind of thing."

Don't make exactly like that, just asking about something that shows your thinking about things from supervisor's point of view will let them know you are interested and that you are thoughtful, and they will like that you can appreciate what they do.

Keep working hard and doing what you've been doing that they like. Keep a high integrity about whatever you do.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Volunteer to stay late if necessary, pick up shifts if someone calls in sick, work doubles, volunteer to help management with their special pet projects.

Be visible...and work hard.

DD

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

It's retail, man. Unless it's changed in the years since I did any retail work, there is so much turnover that as long as you keep doing what you are apparently doing you'll move up anyway.

Do your job, be attentive and reliable, good customer service....that's it really. You'll move up fairly quickly.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

what retailer? Some of them have retailer management programs. Ask about that. Also, if you are really serious, ask about their corporate or regional headquarters. Do you know what jobs are open at the headquarters? ask. I've known someone who went straight from college to work in Dillards hdqtrs in Arkansas. I think she actually received a Retail Management degree in college, so was pretty focused on that career path.

Also, it never hurts to ask the store manager or department manager the same question that you are asking us.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

At McDowell's, you'll move up to assistant manager in two years. :eek:

[​IMG]
    Maurice: "Hey, I started out mopping the floor just like you guys. But now... now I'm washing lettuce. Soon I'll be on fries; then the grill. And pretty soon, I'll make assistant manager, and that's when the big bucks start rolling in.

Akeem: "Just two years, huh?"

13. droxford

droxford Member

Open communication between you and your boss's boss. Let him know that, although you don't have any complaints working for your current boss, you're wanting to grow your career, that you work hard, that you feel that you're capable of doing more, that you want more challenge, that you want to grow. Ask him if there's a way that you can get into management training and how to take the next step. Ask him what steps you can take next to guide your career through the management track.

Do not do this with your current boss. He has no interest in helping you grow your career. Doing good work is important, but it makes you un-promotable in his eyes. He wants to have good workers working for him and he won't want to lose you as a worker.

14. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Do you have a college degree?

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Don't have kids... Put all of your time in your job... And you will be like a successful salesperson... No life outside of work