1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Solving Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Jun 15, 2018.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My political leanings are obvious and I'm not trying to hide them.

That doesn't mean that I can't discern facts.

No place on Martha's Vineyard is a sanctuary city. You seem to misunderstand the main point behind sanctuary cities.

The idea is that immigrants won't be questioned about their immigration status. The reason is that if they witness or have information about crimes they won't be hesitant about contacting law enforcement to make sure the criminals are apprehended.

These 50 immigrants weren't of a status to where they'd be deported anyway. So the sanctuary city part really wouldn't come into play even if the town were a sanctuary city.

I'm not sure why you think treating the immigrants humanely and helping them have access to the services they will need is a bad look.

That wouldn't have been possible had they stayed longer on the island.

I hope that helps, Mr. Impartial.

ROCKSS likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They are still in MA. The Republican governor worked with local and state authorities to move them to a place where they can better be served.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Agree, but I think Americans (people in general) like to feel good about themselves, and not liking what DeSantis or Abbott have done in regards to shipping people across the nation is easy. We saw the same thing with Trump on his border activity early in his Presidency.

It may help DeSantis in Florida, I don’t know as I do not live there. What I can say is that in non-border states, a lot of moderate Republicans do not like it. I don’t think there was much benefit to DeSantis doing it either.

4. bobrek

DeSantis is seeking as many MAGA votes as possible if Trump is in the primaries. He's doing things that Trumplicans like.

Shoot, we can't even get people on this board to acknowledge that flying asylum seekers from Texas on Florida's budget money is flat out wrong.

Nook likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think it's less about Fl politics than national politics. Abbot is doing this for local politics. DeSantis is doing this to win over hard-core Trump supporters, which he needs if he is to have any chances to win the 2024 primaries. Trump probably is hating the attention DeSantis is getting over this.

Nook and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I agree. We have certainly seen politicians put their national aspirations before state needs before, so while I don't condone it, I am not shocked either.

I know that this is a calculated risk by DeSantis, but it really could hurt him if he ever gets the nomination. He has somewhat been able to ride free at the national level of some of the less popular and nastier things he has done and supported because the measure is Trump and DeSantis doesn't have a scandal every week. At the end of the day DeSantis will have to get enough minorities and moderates to win.

This stunt (and everyone knows that is exactly what it is) isn't going to look good to a lot of marginalized groups in the USA and a lot of the suburban voters that decide elections at the national level will not like it either. I don't think that he can just walk away from this at a general election either.

Has anyone asked him why he didn't send Cubans up North the Cubans that entered Florida? We all know why he didn't, politics.

Also sending immigrants to supposed sanctuary cities and states is bizarre. States like Illinois and Mass do not prevent Florida or Texas from detaining people under ICE authority. Further, Illinois law that prevents detaining someone just based on immigration status was passed by a Republican governor.

It is just interesting to me, because sending these people does not make sense, these other states are not interfering with how Florida or Texas conducts their immigration law.

ROCKSS, Amiga and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. bobrek

Most everything DeSantis does is for show. He's probably making an ad about it as we speak.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He probably joined the military for show also understanding it was a step to becoming a politician rather than joining due to some calling to serve the country.

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Can you quote where I said (or implied this)?

Did you see the link I provided earlier regarding Martha's Vineyard as a winter destination?

10. bobrek

A number of cold weather cities are winter destinations. That doesn't mean they are suitable for asylum seekers.

Are you blaming the Republican governor of MA for working to move them to another location in MA where they can be better cared for?

#1430 bobrek, Sep 20, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    ROCKSS and Nook like this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I have seen "sanctuary city" mentioned many times. I don't think this has much of anything to do with "sanctuary city".

A sanctuary city is a place where local officials have either declared or even pass laws that said they will not participate in activities that deport undocumented (unless they are criminals). To them, that job belongs to the federal government and they will not assist. In some cases, they will even protect. It became somewhat of a movement in the US when the DHS (under Trump) started to deport undocumented broadly (instead of focusing on criminals, which was the policy under Obama).

First, these migrants AFAIK are not subjected to deportation so they do NOT need protection from a "sanctuary city" from deportation.

Second, these migrants are being dropped at their perceived political opponents' symbolic locations, as @AroundTheWorld correctly said. This is about embarrassing their political opponents which is popular among the base.

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The other poster said that Martha's Vineyard "basically closes up" during the winter.

No, I don't. What do you think he did wrong?

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes. That link proves my point. In it, they talked about seclusion and how the population dropped dramatically.

The other things it talked about were culinary destinations and hikes.

All of that is great for tourists with easy access to transportation that don't need to make court appearances, filings, need lawyers, housing, and access to food and medicine.

Your link perfectly illustrated that.

The advertisement to try and drum up tourism didn't mention any of that. It simply illustrates that the population isn't there to provide those services.

Your link counters the point you were trying to make.

ROCKSS likes this.
  14. bobrek

I don't think any one in MV did anything wrong. I think it was admirable that the governor and local officials worked together to find a better solution.

Perhaps I am misreading your posts, but you seem to think it was bad that the asylum seekers were moved from MV to a location where they can be better cared for and not burden another state with a surprise.

ROCKSS, Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Nope, it supports it. No location that "closes up" in the winter can be a winter destination.

16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yes, you're misreading my posts.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It can be for people that want the isolation discussed in the link you provided.

This is from the link you provided.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You said "closes up". That was incorrect. Own it and move on.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

wrong answer.

What I said is accurate in the context of services for immigrants, and the link you provided helps prove it.

If the next thing you post is something about meaning that completely ignores the context of the conversation, then I won't respond anymore. I've told you that dishonest crap isn't entertaining for me. Sorry if that's how you are looking to have fun here. I won't be a part of it though.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The link I provided refutes it. Too bad you're too close-minded to realize it.