1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solving Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

US special envoy to Haiti resigns over migrant expulsions

https://apnews.com/article/haiti-envoy-resigns-migrants-border-texas-8bdf813465adc48856eea352bd3bd6b5

excerpt

The Biden administration’s special envoy to Haiti resigned in protest of “inhumane” large-scale expulsions of Haitian migrants to their homeland wracked by civil strife and natural disaster, U.S. officials said Thursday.

Daniel Foote was appointed to the position only in July, following the assassination of Haiti’s President Jovenel Moise. Even before the migrant expulsions from the small Texas border town of Del Rio, the career diplomat was known to be deeply frustrated with what he considered a lack of urgency in Washington and a glacial pace on efforts to improve conditions in Haiti.

Foote wrote Secretary of State Antony Blinken that he was stepping down immediately “with deep disappointment and apologies to those seeking crucial changes.”

“I will not be associated with the United States inhumane, counterproductive decision to deport thousands of Haitian refugees and illegal immigrants to Haiti, a country where American officials are confined to secure compounds because of the danger posed by armed gangs to daily life,” he wrote. “Our policy approach to Haiti remains deeply flawed, and my policy recommendations have been ignored and dismissed, when not edited to project a narrative different from my own.”

Foote’s sudden departure leaves a void in U.S. policy toward Haiti — U.S. Ambassador Michele Sison is expected to depart soon after being nominated to serve in another State Department’s post — and adds another critical voice to the administration’s response to Haitians camped on the Texas border.
    more at the link

2. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

well he can always invite a few Haitians to stay at his house

3. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Biden says his horse agents will pay. I think he is jumping to conclusions.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you are who you say you are, and I don’t really care to investigate much. You should know more about your history. The boat people weren’t just a small number but we’re thousands. They were shuffled through many countries including Singapore and Hong Kong, both countries I’ve lived in. While I’m not Vietnamese nor have ever claimed to be Vietnamese I’m friends and worked with many Vietnamese who came here as refugees and many Hmong also. You might not know this but there are still Hmong in refugee camps trying to come here even though the war ended almost 40 years ago.

Vietnamese, Hmong and other SE Asian refugees were not universally greeted with open arms. What happened in Kemah was the one of the worst incidents but there have been tensions and incidents between SE Asian communities who came here as refugees and communities they moved into. In the past year and a half due to COVID these incidences have gotten worse. Just last week a building with Hmong and other businesses in St Paul was vandalized with graffiti from an anti-immigrant group. This wasn’t the first time that building had been vandalized. I know because I was the architect who worked on the remodel of it.

This is a sad truth about immigrant groups in America too many look down upon later groups even though they were treated just as badly. You might like to think that your people were welcomed here with open arms. While certainly many Americans do there were plenty who didn’t and many politicians who spoke about the dangers of letting in people desperately fleeing violence and repression. That these people couldn’t be trusted and never could assimilate. Like it or not your people had much in common with the Haitians at Del Rio. Given the flames in Kemah maybe even more despised.

vlaurelio and Amiga like this.
  9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

According to Geneva Convention ratified by Congress - I think. But of course Title 42 is also a policy. What this man fails to recognize in his Ted Talk is that the US codes are long, confusing, and often contradictory. Many things can be legal and illegal. The impractical nature of following that asylum rule to the T could be paired with a "shut down the border" policy that Obama used at times and Trump turned up 1000%. How about having legit discussions about sovereignty, the right to control borders, the appropriate use of force, streamlining the immigration processes, and cutting down the court backlogs. This isn't a pure "they're illegal" vs. "they're legal" debate. The devil is in the details and anything broad and finished in one tweet is not a Ted Talk, but just feeding the beast of simple-minded discussion dominating modern politics.

Andre0087 likes this.
  10. Gioan Baotixita

I don’t care how much you wish it to be the same experience between the two groups, they are not the same. You are not Vietnamese just like I am not your persuasion so please do not pretend that you know us just because you’ve got a few friends. You just like to paint America through your liberal lense as a racist country who treats immigrants/ refugees really badly.

If you want to point a finger, why don’t you start with that POS president you voted for and countless other Dems who were extremely xenophobic. Now, these same assholes want a complete open borders so they can have all the damn votes in the future.

11. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

I don't understand this logic. How are you both xenophobic and welcoming all foreign (open borders)?

12. Amiga

Supporting Member

This is correct. Vietnamese weren't welcomed with open arms and many countries pushed them away. The international community didn't come together on a solution until after 4 or 5 years of the "boat people" humanitarian crisis. In the US, Conservative Republicans argued that Vietnamese would never be able to assimilate into American culture and were initially against the refugee assistance act in 1975 that allowed ~100k Vietnamese, Cambodia, and Laos to enter the US. However, politically at the time, the public felt it was fair given American involvement in the war and the Act passed easily.

If you were to go back in time with today's political environment, the situation would probably be similar to how we view Afghan refugees today. From PEW: 56 support, 42 oppose admitting refugees from Afghanistan. Among Dem/Lean Dem, 75 support, 24 oppose. Among Rep/Lean Rep, 35 support, 63 oppose.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. Gioan Baotixita

Dems do not give a crap about refugees or immigrants, case in point with the recent Haitians down in DelRio, not a bleep out of them until they start using those fake images with the border patrols for their political gains.

The Dems look down on these people and could not careless if they had suffered from any hardships, they just want a built in voters base through open borders, not that hard to figure out. Study American history and the shameless Dems and you will see.

Prime example is right here at home, blacks are killing each others every weekend in Chicago as well as other ghettos across America and the Dems wouldn’t bat an eyelash.

#973 Gioan Baotixita, Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  14. Amiga

Supporting Member

this is so illogical

vlaurelio likes this.
  15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

when did MAGA ever make sense??

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I will point out it's yourself who is painting refugees badly regarding the comments you've expressed about Haitians.

I also find it interesting how you keep on talking about "libs" when it was Reagan who did much to welcome refugees including Vietnamese and was the last US President to get a major amnesty passed. In fact this isn't a partisan issue as many Republicans besides Reagan have done much to welcome immigrants and refugees and one of the things I liked about GW Bush was how much he understood that this country needed immigration and that it wasn't about building walls but about welcoming immigrants and making things better in the countries they've came from.

I also certainly agree Biden's not perfect and have faulted him many times. What I find interesting is that you simultaneously criticize Biden for wanting open borders even as he's deporting thousands of people showing up at the border.

All of that said whether you're Vietnamese or not you don't know the history of your own people. Sadly you're not alone in that. Many immigrants act as though they didn't have a rough road getting to this country and weren't despised. This has been the way of America since people named O'Malley and Fitzgerald came to this country.

#976 rocketsjudoka, Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

For anyone else who cares to learn. There were hundreds of thousands of Boat People who fled Vietnam. Most of those who made it to shore were held in appalling conditions in countries like Singapore and Hong Kong worse than what the Haitians were in Del Rio. Some countries wouldn't let them land and pushed boats back out to sea. Thousands drowned and the number will never be known for sure.
    https://www.vietnameseboatpeople.org/

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And a part of Texas history that isn't well remembered was the tensions between the Vietnamese shrimpers and the Klan in Kemah.
    [​IMG]
    https://timeline.com/kkk-vietnamese-fishermen-beam-43730353df06

That the Vietnamese community here in America has overcome so much is something they rightfully should be proud of. Not something to be whitewashed over and pretended like these things didn't happen.

vlaurelio likes this.
  18. Gioan Baotixita

You don’t know the history of my people like you claimed you do. Who said that I did not have a rough roads with my American experience? I was faced with quite a bit of racism growing up, but let me clue you in on something, the majority of the time it was not done by white people but by blacks...shocking to your liberal mind huh.

With my experience, I hold no animosity towards those racist black folks as well as white folks or any other folks that treated me badly. Why, because the amount of kindness that have shown towards me from the other black folks, white folks, other folks sure made up for those knuckle heads that I have encountered.

Stop it with your bullshiet gaslighting man. You probably are the one showing up at the Stop Asian Hate rallies and blame everything on the white supremacists when actually the majority of the crimes committed against Asians are done by blacks.

Regarding these Haitians, they crossed the borders illegally and should be held accountable. The last time that I checked, other countries enforced their immigration laws, why can’t we? So stop it with your merry go around. I get it, you are on some kind of moral high ground and you want to lecture me about the refugee experience.

Regarding Reagan, I love the man and he helped my people a whole bunch when you Dems turned your backs on us. He was forced into the Amnesty deal and that was his biggest mistake with his legacy.
    FAILED

19. Gioan Baotixita

And yet we are GREATFUL for the kindness that the natives have shown us despite a few knuckle heads. But you are such a doofus for making America out to be some kind of a racist country. You’re sad man.

Liberalism is a mental illness for sure.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

And yet you won't show the kindness to others desperately fleeing poverty and repression just like your own people. The people who said we should enforce our immigration laws were also the people who were pushing the boat people back out to sea. But I guess you're just another knucklehead.

If we're talking sadness here is that you're so wrapped up in partisan hatred that you can't even acknowledge the history of your "people:..