1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Solving Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Jun 15, 2018.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

You're literally making my point for me. Trump title 42 was a joke because it had no consequences. Customs officals were able to deny them entry before but there was no consequence for them trying which flooded the system as folks had nothing to lose. If you were a single migrant you had nothing lose.

Now, if you cross the border without a valid approval you will be barred entry for 5 years and thrown in prison if you try again. Yes migrants under the old system weren't properly tracked because the system was fundamentally broken.

It's so depressing how such a large wrath of American are utterly clueless and brainwashed about the current state of America.

2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I don't think it's all roses but its better and I would agree that we can always do better with immigration. I wish both sides would sit down and for once and come to a plausible agreement, so many industries need workers, especially in the Midwest where we have Governers passing laws to allow 16-year-olds to work in the slaughterhouses.

Overall though I am happy we didn't see a run on the border after Title X ended but can we do more, heck yea, but it needs to be a bipartisan team and everyone needs to stop all the hyperbole and lies about what is and what is not happening at the border.

The pessimist in me feels not everyone wants this to be solved because it can be such a hot topic to crucify each other on.

3. Salvy

Salvy Member

Here bro, educate yourself.

Astrodome likes this.
  4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

We are a couple of months into Bidens border. It is premature to crown him now. The journey is unbelievably treacherous right now with the heat we have had since title 42 ended. If you aren't down here, it is hard to explain.

5. astros123

astros123 Member

why are you incapable of debating with me with actual facts and not dumbass conspiracies and videos. I dont give a **** what some right wing lunatic says in a committee hearing. The FACTS and RULES which agents follow on the ground is the only thing that matters. The REGULATIONS under biden right now are harder than trump. THIS IS A FACT.

We live in a world where truth doesnt matter and we cling onto conspiracies and bullshit. You do this in every thread. Yesterday you post some video claiming how biden or democrats arent helping Americans and how infrastructure is collapsing then when you get shown facts you pivot to unrelated bullshit. Always the same ole conspiracies with you and @Os Trigonum nd MAGA

Its really facinating how your brain works in real time. Imagine if the state of texas removed all penalties for speeding. Do you think there will be more or less speeding as a result?

You and @Salvy dont get it in your brain is that right now you will be thrown in prison for attempting to come more than once. Under trump and Obama nobody was getting thrown in prison. Whatever your views of biden may be its just facts that his immigration policy at the border RIGHT NOW is more strict because people are literally being thrown in prison.

No matter how many videos or links you want to show wont change the facts on the ground.

#2145 astros123, Jul 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2023
  6. Salvy

Salvy Member

You are delusional, you actually think Biden is competent lol... Biden isn't even throwing actual criminals in prison, Biden should start by throwing his son into prison and then himself.

7. astros123

astros123 Member

This is all you low iq MAGA have. You can NEVER debate with facts and numbers . Literally you are one of the dumbest people on these forums. The issue with you idiots is you simply refuse to accept facts for what they are. Its just amazing to see what politics does to normal peoples thinking. It destroys any sense of rationale you have.

Biden isnt competent but somehow he passed regulations that are tougher than trumps. It doesnt matter what you idiots believe in because the rules are the rules.

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Is there some particular part of the linked page that you are referring to? It talks about the negative health outcomes of Title 42 on migrants, it talks about DACA and how it may be ruled illegal, it talks about restricting the scope of the public charge rule. It doesn't list any policies that will reduce illegal immigration.

9. astros123

astros123 Member

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2023/05/10... presumes those who,in the country of removal.

10. StupidMoniker

This link talks about people being subject to prosecution if they are removed for failing to comply with the rules and then come back, but that was always the case. In fact, you are subject to prosecution the first time you illegally cross the border.
    18 USC 1325 provides:
    Any alien who (1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or (2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or (3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.

Was there any particular passage in the other link I quoted that you were referencing?

Astrodome likes this.
  11. astros123

astros123 Member

Negative. The trump or Obama admin never actually put seekers in prison even after the first time. The law was obviously there before hence how biden was able to implement it. It was never used to put people in prison.

The biggest change is obviously the rollout of the new app. Folks can know instantly whether they qualify or not before they make the long journey. Most folks don't wanna deal with the cartel if they don't have to.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Texas DPS installed razor wire on private border property despite landowner's protest
    Benjamin Wermund, Jeremy Wallace, Staff writers
    Updated: July 19, 2023 1:49 p.m.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/dps-border-wire-landowner-18206776.php

The owner of a pecan farm in Eagle Pass near where a pregnant teenager was trapped in state-deployed razor wire said officials working for Gov. Greg Abbott’s border security initiative are refusing to take it down despite his repeated requests.

Urbina told Hearst Newspapers that he met earlier this month with Victor Escalon, a Department of Public Safety director overseeing operations in South Texas, and threatened to file trespassing and destruction of property charges if the state did not remove the wire from his land.

He said Escalon refused and told him the directive was coming “from the top.”

“He looked me right in the eyes and said, ‘I’m going to do what I’m going to do,’ ” Urbina said.

In an interview Tuesday, Escalon said DPS has the authority to use private property without the owner's permission under a border-related disaster declaration signed by the governor in 2021.

Urbina now says he is looking to press criminal charges against state officials for trespass, destruction of property and burglary.

“We happen to be Republicans,” Urbina said, referencing the state’s Republican leadership. “But there’s right and there’s wrong, and this is wrong. And Gov. Abbott is outside of what’s right, and so is everybody else within DPS.”

asianballa23 likes this.
  13. StupidMoniker

Okay, so the rules didn't actually change, Biden is saying he is going to enforce the previously existing rules, but only on a second offense and with exceptions. How many people have been imprisoned under this "new" system.

14. astros123

astros123 Member

You somehow forget that the first offense is a 5 year ban which is still pretty harsh. The trump policy of title 42 had NO BAN for reoccurring migrants. If you were denied entry than you could just try again at another location or date. There was no consequences. Less than 1k people have been jailed under the new policy but thats beyond the point. The entire point of enforcing the policy is deterrence which is obviously working as the numbers are plummeting.

Spinning braindead conspiracies about how the border is open or how bidens rules are lax are just pure conspiracies. Biden literally overhauled the entire system to make it more efficient and its working so far. The app is doing its job by vetting folks who have resources and keeping those that dont out.

15. StupidMoniker

The five year ban is meaningless. The "consequence" of breaking the five year ban is that crossing is illegal (which it already was). You say less than 1,000 people have been jailed, but the question was how many have been imprisoned. Being jailed just means either being convicted of a misdemeanor and thus held for a year or less or being held in pretrial detention. Being held in pretrial detention as an illegal immigrant is nothing new.

According to the American Immigration Council, illegal entry and illegal reentry are the most prosecuted federal offenses. In 2018 these two charges represented 65% of all federal prosecutions. There were over 100,000 such prosecutions in fiscal year 2019.
    Prosecuting People for Coming to the United States | American Immigration Council

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I posted an article above about a private property owner losing his property rights to the State. I didn't realize the TX governor has continued to declare a 'disaster' declaration at the border since 2021 (so 2+ years). I read that with that declaration, he (the executive branch) can unilaterally direct state personnel and resources to 'border security,' suspend bidding/contracting requirements for 'border security,' suspend regulations on public safety at the border, suspend property rights allowing private land to be seized for 'border security,' and potentially allow unreasonable search and seizure (which could violate the 4th Amendment).

This type of emergency rights concentration, concentrating power in the executive over multiple years, is normally seen in wartime, not during peacetime. I initially thought he was just playing politics for a short period of time, but this has gone on for too long and from the leaked email, it seems he has crossed over to potential abuse of human rights as well.

astros123 likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

today the sanctuary city declares victory

New York City Tells Migrants There’s ‘No Guarantee’ of Finding Help Here
    Mayor Eric Adams announced new shelter rules for some asylum seekers, and will begin discouraging migrants at the southern border from coming to New York City.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/19/...lter-nyc-adams.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

excerpt:

New York City will immediately begin discouraging asylum seekers from seeking refuge here, distributing fliers at the southern border that warn migrants there is “no guarantee” they will receive shelter or services, Mayor Eric Adams announced on Wednesday.

The city’s move is a sharp and somewhat unexpected departure from its long-held status as a sanctuary city, and as a place that guarantees a right to shelter.

“We have no more room in the city,” Mr. Adams said during a news conference at City Hall.
    more at the link

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

FranchiseBlade and astros123 like this.
  19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

20. astros123

astros123 Member

You have no idea how badly I can't wait to take your money nd laugh at your conspiracies falling flat