1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solution to Fronting?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Butterfingers, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

I dont see why we dont do something like this. Have T-Mac at the left wing trying to throw the entry pass to Yao(who is on the left side of the paint as well). If Yao's defender is fronting him then why doesnt T-mac just penetrate and blow by his defender and go to the rim. Yao's defender shouldnt be able to gaurd that effectively causing good things to happen because tracy penetrated, and if he does leave Yao to play help defense on T-mac, Yao can then just cut to the basket and Tracy can just simply pass it to Yao for the easy dunk. Your thoughts on this?

2. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

That is much easier said than done...
    But good idea anyway.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Because it would usually be Reefer's man doing the fronting?

4. FFz

FFz Member

we already have a solution to fronting, which is to pass to hayes or scola on top of the key, but the execution is too poor to prevent other team from fronting.

5. Butterfingers

wouldnt it be the other teams center fronting Yao...who is our center.

6. Asian Sensation

I hate people that front.

7. nreal2007

nreal2007 Rookie

Coach RA should take notes. I'd noticed when they make an entry pass to yao, they either stay put or run pass yao. Shouldn't you run away from yao so your defender won't try to double team him. Let him operate one on one. pass and run across to the other side

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

It's not that easy to go by some one in the NBA but I do like the idea of T-Mac throwing the entry pass since he's more of a threat to do other stuff as well.

9. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

Sometimes, the point of running by the player with the ball( usually the center) is to purposely get him double teamed and to spread the floor and have an open 3pt shot somewhere. Also, it's an easy cut, seeing the player with the ball can set a screen as he hands it off to the cutter.

10. Butterfingers

thats exactly why i said T-mac and not someone like Battier, because Tracy can pretty much blow by anyone and get to the rim.

11. KKick

KKick Member

I don't understand why they never just lob pass it. Should be easy enough.

12. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

Simply because lob passes are one of the riskiest passes. But when done properly, can be a very dangerous threat.

13. Butterfingers

Its easy in theory, but understand that these are NBA players and they can leap high as hell. It would take a lot of practice to perfect it and some players are just too r****ded to throw the simple lob pass. It also doesnt help taht Yao isnt that athletic and he gets held a lot without a call being made.

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

that is one way of doing it.

but some teams just drop another defender right into yao's lap while be are trying to throw it in.

15. pli777

pli777 Member

I agree. Tmac is probably the best entry passer to Yao in this team with Rafer coming at second. Tmac is much taller and with those long arms it's hard to block it and obviously like you said Tmac is much of a threat than others.

Luther is horrendous with the entry pass.

16. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I agree. The man in the opposite corner should cut to the basket, and if that's contested, continue cutting to the opposite corner.

Everytime Yao's man fronts him, there's another defender that is waiting to intercept the pass attempt over the front. The waiting defender is usually the defender of the Rocket in the opposite corner from the entry passer. The waiting defender does not concentrate on his man, so that Rocket should cut when his defender is overplaying the pass to Yao. If he cuts hard enough, he'll either have a wide open layup or a wide open jumpshot on the opposite corner.

Yao should even set a pick under the basket and force the defense to switch. If the guy in the corner cuts across the floor to the opposite corner, and Yao sets a pick under the basket...the opposing center will have to switch out on the wing player because he's already behind Yao due to the fronting. In this situation, you create two mismatches: an opposing center on a wing player, and an opposing wing player on Yao. Yao should seal off the opposing wing player and get post position.

17. FFz

FFz Member

it doesn't work because the other team has the PF lurking behind yao trying to deny the lob as well. Also, if t-mac can blow by his guy that easily why doesn't he do it more instead of take the jumpshot? Even if t-mac gets by his man he'll be trapped by yao's man and the PF with T-mac's man recovering on yao. Usually under this scenario Rafer's guy would be helping to guard Hayes.

This might work with scola and MJ in there instead of Rafer and Hayes, but if scola and MJ were there i'd rather have scola take the open 17 footer than have all that dribbling and passing. Less chance of turnover and a pretty good percentage shot.

18. nreal2007

nreal2007 Rookie

well i rather have him play one on one instead of him kicking it back out to our role players. Just past the ball and clear out to the other side. Let yao operate against his defender 1 on 1 on easter island and if the double team does come from the other side he can also kick it out. I just don't like it when the pass it to him and run pass him. Making the passer defender try to take a swipe at yao. Which they are getting away with it from the ref.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Because with players like Dwight Howard, KG, Amare, Shawn Marion, etc, you have a high margin for error with a lob pass. Just throw it up there reasonably close and they will go get it. Because Yao doesn't jump and barely moves, you have almost zero margin for error on a lob pass. Lob passes are the worst way to feed Yao the ball.

20. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Another solution is having another post option on the other block. I think Scola fits that bill perfectly...afterall, the bulk of his offensive game comes from the post position. He's crafty and can finish around the basket.

Just swing the ball to the otherside and post up Scola.