1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Solomon] Mid season trade disappointed Battier

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T-Slack, Jul 11, 2011.

1. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/7647785.html

With a 3-year-old and a newborn, Shane Battier doesn't have much time to work on his golf swing.

If the NBA lockout lasts into the winter as expected, he will have more free time than usual. But he'd rather not have it.

Battier, a free agent whom the Rockets traded to Memphis in February, knows his time in the NBA is limited. The impact of missed games next season isn't going to be diminished by a long-term contact offer.

"The end of my career is closer than the start of my career," said Battier, who just finished his 10th season in the league.

Though a natural for the broadcasting booth, Battier isn't in a hurry to get there.

"I can see myself playing for three or four more years, then moving on to the next phase," he said.

Battier expects to draw interest from contenders, which is one of the reasons the Rockets elected to trade him. Don't be surprised if the next time the Michigan native takes the court he is spotting up outside the 3-point line for the Chicago Bulls or taking charges for the Miami Heat.

One thing is certain: He won't be with the Houston Rockets.

Battier was disappointed, bothered really, that the Rockets traded him at midseason. With as much as he had put into the organization, he left thinking the job wasn't done.

"I was disappointed that I couldn't see to the finish what I started out," he said. "It would have been nice to go through one more stretch run with those guys. If it didn't work out, I would have been happy with time I put in over the five years."

Even the postseason fun he had with the Memphis Grizzlies, who beat San Antonio in the first round of the playoffs and took Oklahoma City to seven games in the Western Conference semifinals, didn't close the wound.

"I was happy that I went to a place that worked out and we found lightning in a bottle, but it was disappointing in a weird way to see (the Rockets) finish behind us," Battier said.
    Telling it like it is

Battier's view of the Grizzlies and Rockets going forward might be somewhat disheartening for Rockets fans. Particularly those who hang on to the shaky glass-half-full thread that Memphis finished "only" three games ahead of Houston in the standings.

"Houston is a franchise in transition. From a talent standpoint, Memphis is going to be a force to deal with for a few years," he said. "Talent wins. You can have all the rah-rah you can muster, but at the end of the day in the NBA, talent wins.

"The Grizzlies are more talented than the Rockets."

See? Sometimes Battier's swing is pretty good.

"Last year, we were just crossing our fingers hoping that Yao (Ming) would be the Yao of old," Battier said. "Had he been the Yao of old, no question we would be a playoff team, a 50-win team. Instead …"

Instead, the Rockets got off to another poor start and missed the playoffs for the second consecutive year.

Now, Yao is retired, and Battier is a former Rocket working on his golf game.
    Golfing for a cause

His long and sometimes fluid golf swing will be under added pressure this weekend at the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship in South Lake Tahoe, Nev.

It is not just that a few of those swings could end up on the air to be ridiculed by a national television audience. Granted, with Charles Barkley in the field, embarrassment is a relative thing. The Chuckster tends to dominate NBC's bad-swing quota for the event.

Battier is using his third appearance in the celebrity tournament as a fund-raising opportunity for his Take Charge Foundation (http://www.takechargefoundation.com).

He is calling it the "Take Charge, Save Par" fund and asking people to donate money for every par he makes in the tournament. He will contribute $1,000 for every hole on which he makes par (or better) in the 54-hole event but says any amount fans donate, which goes to college scholarships, would be greatly appreciated.

Battier covers all the administrative costs for Take Charge so that every penny raised goes directly to scholarships. The foundation already has six scholarship recipients (five from the Houston area) attending a wide range of schools, from the University of Texas to Northern Michigan.

"The goal is to make this truly a national program," Battier said. "I had solid grades, but if I didn't have basketball, I couldn't have gone to Duke. I want to help kids be able to go to the school of their choice and make it easier for them to do so."
    Incentive to do well

The idea to use his suspect golf game to help the cause came over a couple of beers. He even beat yours truly to the obligatory shot at his offensive skills or relative lack thereof.

"My golf game, while not as terrible as my offensive game (bada-bing), has many, many issues," Battier said. "But now that I'm playing for the kids, I'll have added incentive to do well."

jerome.solomon@chron.com

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/7647785.html#ixzz1RnAA3qGH

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

3. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

That title is a little misleading. If you read the article, was Battier 'dissapointed' with the trade and not 'pissed off' - big difference. You make it sound as if there was a huge falling out between the club and shane.

4. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

If the price is right, he'll come back.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Battier is a leader and a true professional, he hoped he had retired a Rocket.

6. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Please. Another Solomon propaganda column.

Battier isn't coming here because other teams will offer him more money and because he probably wants to play for a contender at this stage in his career.

It's a mutual parting if you will.

Nothing in Solomon column suggest that Battier is pissed. Nothing suggest that he has hard feelings. Nobody likes getting traded, that's for sure, but I'm pretty sure Battier understands that it's business.

I don't know why people even bother. It's pretty clear that Solomon is a troll.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow. The lock-out is really killing some of guys thread making ability.:rolleyes:

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Solomon is a no-talent hack and the thread starter uses misleading thread titles.

9. bloop

bloop Member

Agree with Battier.

It was tough watching Battier and all those guys go. They battled heroically for 2 seasons waiting for Yao to come back, ready to give it one last good try. But in the end they went out with an implosion.

They all deserved better.

10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Good ol' Solomon.... looking more and more like Blinebury every day.

11. conquistador#11

At least we got great value in the trade. with hasheem making a name in Center legacy with the likes of Dream, Moses and yao, the trade was a no brainer.

1 person likes this.
  12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Stupid Solomon, doesn't he know the Grizzlies are a second to last place team.

13. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

K.

5 characters.

14. FR0497

FR0497 Member

Love this statement by Battier. Some fans here should take note.

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

Title very misleading. Some people should stop trying to imitate Carl Herrera as initiators of threads and stick to just commenting. While Carl is creative his thread titles are usually correct.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Thank goodness.

I bet there are some who would retire his jersey too. geesh.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Battier is a grown man who knows how the business works.

I'm sure Shane was sad to leave his adopted home, but I doubt he holds any ill-will towards the Rockets. And I also doubt that going to his original team and completing a historic playoff upset leaves him much to be chagrined over.

Solomon sucks, and so does the OP.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

In case they haven't taken note the 100 or so times that Daryl Morey said it when explaining why he was pursuing trades, including the Battier trade, aggressively?

19. Raven

Raven Member

Bat Man knows the Rockets aren't going to bring him back, so his comments are irrelevant. He's right though, it's about talent, not rah rah, which is why giving up a lottery pick for him was a mistake.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Where did Battier comment on his prospects of rejoining the Rockets in that article? It was already known that Battier was disappointed to have been traded. Why wouldn't he be?