1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solomon: 'Enough is enough,' and Texans should fire Kubiak

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Uprising, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Which is more likely: The Texans making the playoffs and going to the Super Bowl or the Texans not making the playoffs and going to the Super Bowl?

The slate is cleared once the playoffs start. If - and I'm not suggesting the Texans will do this - but if they wind up in the playoffs, it'll almost certainly be on the back of a 4-game win streak including victories over Baltimore and Jacksonville. You're telling me a 9-7 Texan team with that offense and a lot of momentum (and a home playoff game to boot) is an automatic out? You're telling me you wouldn't be fired up the 7 days prior? That, win or lose, there's no upside to our playoff-starved players getting a taste of the postseason?

BTW, I should probably state: I think Frank Bush is going to be fired REGARDLESS of what happens. Even if they finish 9-7 and make the playoffs, I think he'll be let go, barring the defense morphing into the '85 Bears and leading us to the SB.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

If I were a gambling man, I sure as hell wouldn't bet on the Texans. That's all I'm saying.

Of course I would be fired up. Where did I say I suggest I wouldn't be? If we got our asses kicked, I'd be sorely disappointed, especially since we'd be stuck with the same staff (possibly even the defensive staff). At this point, with the (realistic!) expectations we all had, it isn't unreasonable to want to either 1) kick-ass and take names all the way to a championship game of some sort or 2) lose and start this damn thing over fresh. Anything but more mediocre Gary-ball.

And no, I doubt there is anything for players to gain from playing in one playoff game. As if that will magically instill some sort of ability/confidence in them that was never there before.

#62 DonnyMost, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Irrelevant. We're not discussing point spreads and money; we're talking about what happens on the field, in a league that coined the phrase, "Any Given Sunday." Last year, the Jets fell into the playoffs and wound up 60 minutes from the Super Bowl; two years ago, the Cardinals fell into the playoffs and played in the Super Bowl. The Colts had an historically bad rush defense 4 years ago that they overcame and won the SB.

I'm not arguing the Texans will do that; just that they absolutely, positively will not do that if they don't make the playoffs.

4. DonnyMost

wtf?

I don't think the Texans would win a playoff game.

If it is irrelevant, why did you ask me?

5. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

fire kubiak and hire who???

assuming cowher and gruden dont want to coach next season - then who?

6. verti89

verti89 Member

the problem with your examples is that the Colts were the one team with a 'bad defense' but they had the ability to put pressure on the QB and Peyton at his best, we have neither. In my mind we have to get to the 2nd round to justify Kubiak getting one more year because as was suggested I think we can fall into the playoffs, not that i think we will. I think we finish 7-9 with losses at Bal and Den.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Jeff Fisher :D

Rocket River

8. DonnyMost

Fisher! :D

For reals though, all of the teams that lead their divisions are coached by guys that are in their first head coaching gig.

Doesnt have to be a big name.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Here is the problem . . . IF THEY MAKE THE PLAYOFFS
    I'd bet you they would win that game
    because
    they would be motivated. pumped. Excited

HOWEVER!!! That is the point
    I feel like Kubiak does not get them hype every game
    at least not at the start
    and
    he makes some mistakes that cost us the game.

Rocket River

10. DonnyMost

Another thing about the Texans chances to win a playoff game.

The wildcard that the AFC south winner plays will be the patriots, jets, steelers, ravens, or something like that... Not an easy draw at all.

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I think this is a very underrated problem. They all think alike, or are afraid to disagree... or so it seems. There doesnt seem to be a bouncing of ideas from different color glasses.

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

DUHHHHHH...Josh McDaniels ;)

13. TheGreatWall

TheGreatWall Member

Jeff Ketchum of orangebloods said that kubaic is going to be fired and mcdaniels will replace him...

14. TheGreatWall

TheGreatWall Member

I was mistaken, my friend just told me he was messing with me, thank god.

15. DonnyMost

You had to be told that was a joke...?

16. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Solomon is as bad as Justice when it comes to flip floping.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You are out of your mind if you think that would sell to most of the fan base. Not everyone drinks Kool-Aid. The continuity argument is tired and can be played only once.

You are also mistaken that most of the desire to dump Kubiak is tied to getting a big-name coach. Reality is most people don't think he measures up and they are tired of the guy.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

this first thing is a ridiculous and tired argument. If Kubiak is preventing the team from taking the next step, money should make ZERO difference. the potential lockout argument is nothing but a load of crap because as everyone has discussed in all these thread, the texans are the 10th most valuable sports franchise in the world. 10 mil means nothing to them.

As for the 2nd part. No, this team is not a disaster, but they have clearly hit a wall with Kubiak. He is a mediocre coach who will never get anything but mediocre results, the constant 5-7 record is proof of that.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Just posted in the McDaniels fired thread but reportedly, Kubiak is Denver's first choice/is who they want if/when he becomes available.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Great news! We can only hope this makes it easier for Bob McNair to let him go. I feel better already (seriously). Hopefully Kubiak can do for Denver what he did here.