1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SOF vs LOF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Mar 13, 2023.

1. TheJet

TheJet Member

I wasn't online as often during the Yao years but I hear that's when the "only fan" started to pop up. I'm glad I missed that nonsense, as Yao was one hell of a player. Ahhh, what could have been.

Lin fan wins this for me. Sheer volume of ignorant posters seals it but that was just the tip of the iceberg,

I always applauded the intensity and passion they had for Lin but more often than not the basketball knowledge was zero. That made it impossible to have any kind of logical debate. And the hatred for Harden and disbelief that he was the superior player was mind boggling.

Plowman likes this.
  2. TheJet

TheJet Member

Deleted double post.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lookng at the board now.....

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its like clockwork at this point with the reactionary fan factions. Mainly when KPJ has a good game the SOFs go on a rampage. The petty levels have been pushed to maximum.

Plowman likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

LOL @ the tears of the KPJOF

HardenReturns likes this.
  6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a Rockets fan, Bro...just lke you. What's with all the Sengunmania, SJC?

Couldn't be more excited about ALL our young talent.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its those types of SOFs that have pushed me to indifference with the player sadly. I was stoked when we drafted him. Propped him up all along the way and then all of a sudden the board is hit with these guys who could care less about the rest of the team as long as Alpie gets his shine and its been dodgeball ever since.

maj21, 34to11, charlieaustin and 3 others like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is he really a "Rockets fan" though? I mean, I'm sure on some level he is, but he's a Sengun fan first and foremost. If there was a thing that was good for the team, but bad for Sengun, is there ANY doubt that he'd passionately oppose it and make 40 threads crusading against it?

maj21 likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Clutch took out a lot of the trash when it comes to these SOFs

but kill 5, and 5 more will pop up like roaches

maj21, 34to11 and Verbal Christ like this.
  10. xaos

xaos Member

I can relate

34to11 and Verbal Christ like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I've always liked Sengun, but his overly zealous fans are straight trash and that does reflect negatively on him. It's the Lin thing all over again just with a better player.

34to11, O-dawg and Verbal Christ like this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This is the thread where KPJ OF can circle jerk and cry to each other about the injustice of the world.

13. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

THIS... look it's easy to like Alpi as a person and player. It's also easy to see that he is a talented player, but quite frankly he is over-hyped so much that I find myself wanting to talk about and show other players some love.

If we are being real about expectations, wouldn't you expect someone who has been playing professionally for FIVE years to be more polished then some of our other young players with less experience?

And therein lies my biggest issue with SOF's or any 'Only Fan'. Hype your player if you like, but don't dog our other young players or make unrealistic claims when comparing them to accomplished players. You just lose all credibility IMO when you do that.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

We all develop "favorites" on each iteration of the team. Thats normal and natural. These guys come in here crying racism, nepotism and all other sorts of BS reasons why Sengun isnt adored. Huge turn off.

Between me and you I LOVE Alpie .. his years of professional ball are rubbing off on the other guys here and he knows what to do on every single play. He has a solid role on this team, but it all breaks down when guys push a narrative of post initiated play as the path to success when no team has used that type of offense to win a ring for close to a decade. The game has moved on. Its why I've harped about Alpie using a jumpshot to not only fully unlock his own game, but to open up countless opportunities for his teammates. If Alperen Sengun develops a 3pt shot and shores up his defense he will be a perennial All Star if not more - its really that simple.

34to11 and xaos like this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Five years? He played one year in the Turkish league, won MVP. Then two years in the NBA.

KPJ has been playing professionally for four years.

Like when DD thought KPJ is 6th in the league in TS %? lol

16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

This is a very good question. Both are idiots & spew ignorance

17. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

upload_2023-4-5_9-20-44.png

Began his pro career in 2018 and is still a pro right? that's 5 years.

Can't and wouldn't think to speak for DD but any unrealistic claim impacts credibility.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He is 20.

If he played as a "pro" in Turkey's 2nd division at age 15, it shows what a phenom he was even then, but I don't think it means a lot more than playing high-level high school basketball. The talents groomed in US high schools surely get better training and more attention (including mixtapes) than a 15 year old kid in the backwaters of Turkey in their 2nd division.

But if you want to make the argument that his "pro" experience should count, then he should have gotten a lot more minutes and touches the last two years. The argument goes both ways...

cml750 and HardenReturns like this.
  19. 34to11

34to11 Member

Or if he was really that good so many teams wouldn't have passed on him in the draft.
    So he really got more minutes and touches than his draft position commands.

Just highlighting the silliness of your circular argument.

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Gms aren't entirely comfortable drafting European talent not everybody gets hyped like wemby or luka. If there was a redraft/do over, sengun would have easily went top 10 and that's me avoiding sounding too much like a sengun fan.

AlperenSengun and 34to11 like this.