1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] USMNT friendlies & beginning of WC 2014 Qualifying

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, May 25, 2012.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Klinsmann is treating this as a 5-game tournament. 5 games in 18 days.

It will be nice to see Donovan and Dempsey together for the first time under Klinsmann. Looks like our own Geoff Cameron is going to get a real shot at this World Cup. I hope he gets a chance.

Goals should not be hard to come by with many of the US forwards in good form from the club season. Altidore (15 goals in the Eredivisie), Dempsey (17 goals in the EPL), Terrance Boyd (13 for Borussia Dortmund reserves), Herculez Gomez (18 between Santos Laguna & Estudiantes Tecos) all had fantastic seasons. Even Chris Wondolowski (10 goals in 9 games) is off to a great start in the MLS season.

I don't understand the Brad Guzan choice. He played in 8 games this season for Aston Villa. Why not call in an in-form MLS keeper (Tally Hall anyone)?

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

That Anthem was pretty awful, LOL

Why isn't Dempsey playing?

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

What a goal by Bradley.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Did anyone see Brazil vs. Denmark today? Brazilian squad is playing better each game and are lookin like a promising unit with the right mentality now. So many great players and a good coach, will definitely be a contender for 2014.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

What happened to Adu?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That was the best I have EVER seen team USA play, just amazing buildup and clever action on offense and solid defense.

They dominated Scotland.

DD

7. leroy

Certainly the best they've played under Kinsmann. I can't remember the last time they thoroughly dominated a game like that (that didn't involve playing some Caribbean nation). Great confidence booster going into the Brazil game next week.

Going forward, I'd like to see that same starting 11 with the exception of Dempsey in for Boyd. I doubt that will happen, though. Klinsmann will find a way to get Dempsey and Altidore on the field, which means Torres is likely the odd man out. He played the best game I've seen him play for the US.

I like Terrance Boyd. He's got a lot to learn but I can see where he's going to do very good things.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why was Shea left off?

I really liked Torres too, the delivery and action on the passes at the front was outstanding - so many one twos and give and goes....just beautiful to watch.

Very Hollandish.....hopefully they can keep that up.

DD

9. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The reasoning for why Shea was left off differs depending on who you ask. When asked, Klinsmann gave a very generic "there are just other guys I think are better fits for us right now" type of answer.

The reason I've heard most from those that might know is that Klinsmann is sending a message that your current form matters just as much, if not more, than what you have done in the past. Shea hasn't looked himself so far this season and, quite frankly, his previous appearances with the national team haven't been all that impressive anyway. My only issue with this is that Klinsmann took Juan Agudelo, who, before being traded to Chivas a couple of weeks ago, was riding pine for New York.

Another reason I've heard given is that Klinsmann is trying to limit his minutes. Last season, Shea played way too many minutes between FC Dallas and the national team and it showed in his play late in the season. I don't really buy this, though, because he's still going to be playing games with FC Dallas during this time and if Klinsmann really wanted to limit his minutes, he could have sat him during the friendlies and just played him during the WC qualifiers.

With all that being said, I'm guessing Shea is still very much a part of the plans for the national team under Klinsmann. Supposedly, Jurgen picked up the phone, called Shea and told him just that after the rosters were announced.

10. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

The only explanation I've heard from those that might know is it came down to the 3 game suspension Shea got for his petulance kicking the ball at an asst ref during FCD's match prior to the roster announcement.

Brek has been inconsistent this season and it just made Klinsmann's job selecting the roster, a little easier (in terms of not selecting an underperforming player) when Brek got that red card. If not, Brek probably would have made the initial list.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

brazil tomorrow, let's see that hollandish (as you called it) style continue, LOL!!!

12. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

it's easy to look Hollandish against Scotland. Let's see it against Brasil.

I really like the talent level of USA for this upcoming WC. They should have the most talented team they have ever had.

13. leroy

I realize Scotland isn't the best team. But they're certainly better than the competition in CONCACAF, with a few exceptions. It was just nice to actually see them dominate a lesser opponent. Typically, that would have finished 1-0 or 2-1. A win...but playing down to the competition.

Tomorrow will be a great test. After beating Italy in Italy, there should be no lack of confidence. I expect Klinsmann will demand the same level of intensity they played with against Italy and Scotland. Brazil is a team you can't have a lapse for even a second or they will capitalize. It would be nice if Dempsey is healthy enough to go but there is little to no reason to actually push him out there just because it's Brazil. I'd rather have him healthy for the games that count.

#13 leroy, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  14. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Tonight @ 7pm

Brazil vs USA

Looking forward to it. I will DVR it and look at how the team plays against world class talent.

15. 713

713 Member

What channel is tonight game on?

16. leroy

Post #1

17. 713

713 Member

what is nbc sports network?

18. leroy

here you go.