1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] US friendlies vs. Costa Rica & Belgium

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Convictedstupid

This.

No problem geology lab, I'll just DVR it! BRB 3 hours of fawking nascar.

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I was watching a stream of the game while trying to work, so it was tough to tell.

Overall, it was very similar to the Costa Rica game. We looked good to start the game, then Belgium started getting more possession and building attacks. Chandler looked OK at left back, but you could tell he was hesitant to cross with his left and wasn't too good at it when he did try. The defense as a whole looked more composed, but that was to be expected with a more veteran lineup.

Dempsey didn't have the most impressive game, he still had his moments and created our best chance, but there were a few times where he just dribbled the ball around a lot but didn't really seem to have a purpose with it.

Altidore didn't look as good as in the Costa Rica game. I think he and a lot of the other players showed the effects of the short turnaround and transatlantic flight.

Torres and Shea both looked pretty good. When we have all of our players available there's going to be some good competition in the midfield. And if nothing else we'll be a lot more versatile and have better depth than before.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I told you guys Klinsmann is overrated.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I noticed how after Mexico scored first, he was all smiles and cheered his squad on. Then, they went and scored on Mexico. Cool.

Against Costa Rica, it was a tale of two halves, again. :eek: He was still smiling.

And, now, against Belgium, he wasn't all that happy after they scored.

I don't know how many more games will be "a learning process", but... I'm thinking he's try to instill a different type of game to which the team doesn't adhere for 90 minutes. I think it's a completely drastic change and it's substantial enough to not be handled well by the changing team. Today there was no Landon and it seemed like a different team.

5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I think Phillip Lahm and just about every other German player and journalist has been saying that since the beginning of his Bayern stint so nothing special there.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nope, midget Lahm is saying now that he always thought so.

Of course, when Klinsmann was his coach, he would never have said that, because he is an opportunist.

Nevertheless, he is right.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He never stops grinning. That constant fake smile is so annoying.

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I agree,
    I have never been a big fan of Klinsmann.

ATW, the German team is good. I'm looking forward to the EC, it will be interesting between spain, the Netherlands and Germany (clearly the 3 best teams in Europe.)

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Agreed...really looking forward to that. I think these are the 3 best teams right now, and those who play the most attractive football. But you never know, the Italians might win ugly, or some other surprise team might win it all.

We have such a wealth of young talent in midfield, makes me optimistic for our future :).

But I wish Robben had a German passport... :cool:.

10. ferrari77

Yeah true, i guess he didn't want to rock the boat while he had to play for him. I'm still not as down about him as you guys, i figure it depends on him realizing he knows **** about tactics and hiring another Joachim Loew type to help out, right? Not Martin Vasquez again.

11. ferrari77

Why you ignore us?
    [​IMG]

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Klinnsman is still miles better than Bradley, it will take time to change our style to a more attacking, free flowing skill game.

I can't wait to see him with all the good players playing at once though.

Our depth is not as great as some other countries..

DD

13. ferrari77

Oh yeah, we're overrated in just about every tournament we enter.:eek:

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think I'll do the logical thing and give it more than 3 games before crapping on the man.

I'll probably even wait until he has at least 1 game with the full compliment of players and when he has time to scout more potential talent.

Might take a little time for the team to get used to actually having a game plan and implementing it. Bradley and Gary Kubiak are very similar coaches. Neither goes into a game with a plan. Too much reacting to the opponent and what they're doing instead of going in with a strategy and imposing their will.

15. SwoLy-D

OK. Three more. BUT NO MORE!!! :rolleyes:

:p I kid. Y'all won't do ***** without a true striker like Davies and a true ball holder like Holden.

16. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I agree. At this point the final score isn't that important. What is important is changing the mindset of the team and learning how to play a different style, and I've seen progress in that regard.

I doubt we'll see the "A" team for a while, probably not until we get close to the start of WC qualification. He's got a lot of guys/formations to try out to see what works best.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jG9KLY280Hw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Despite the poor video quality, one of the most beautiful videos I've ever seen :grin:.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I should also add this video for good measure :grin:.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eicpaIdf3Ek?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. ferrari77

You know, that's just taking it too far. That's just mean. :(

1 person likes this.
  20. SwoLy-D

:mad: WTF do ENGLAND and GERMANY games have to do with the U.S. friendlies? :mad:

I'm just kidding, I'm enjoying this... post more. :p

I was suprised not to see the 2010 USA 1-1 game in that sad YouTurd video... :eek: