1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SOCCER] FIFA announces Goal-Line Technology for 2012 CLUB World Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SwoLy-D, Jul 6, 2012.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

FIFA announces introduction of goal-line technology
    World football's governing body has stated that goal-line technology will be introduced at the 2012 Club World Cup in Tokyo

Soon hereafter, 30 timeouts to allow for "reviewing" whether the machines were right or were wrong! :grin:

Also, this here article is pretty much SPOT ON:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-5...ne-tech-for-english-premier-league-world-cup/
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fQLN-BJC2Us?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm a "purist"... I say keep the dumb referee errors in the game... it's human nature. :p

Isn't it funny that most of these errors somehow involve the ENGLAND team...?

2. SacTown

SacTown Member

Ukraine got screwed. Good.

3. SwoLy-D

No one needs to get screwed.

Even with instant replay and all their technology, the NFL and NBA can't get calls right anyway. :eek: Keep the HUMAN ERROR in the game.

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I'm happy about this. Now the chance that the right team will win the game is higher.

5. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

now they need to work on diving

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The only way to fix it would be to retroactively card/fine/suspend players. If they could go back and give some kind of punishment after the games, maybe you'd see some improvement. Maybe have a committee of former refs watching video.

Could you imagine if they implemented something like this in Italy? There could be weeks without games because there wouldn't be enough players left.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

it's not like basketball or football (americano) where points are not usually at a premium.

In soccer, goals are immensely valuable and thus should be counted or not counted correctly. Me personally I think they should add all penalties and red cards (second yellows) as well since it is almost 80% chance the penalty will be converted. Or at least a challenge flag from the coach (alert 4th official) if he wants a penalty call/non-call reviewed. Can you image Mourinho or La Volpe with a flag, how entertaining would that be!?!?! Also the pundits discussing if a coach should have or have not used the flag. Very entertaining I think.

You can keep your human error for fouls, corners/goal kicks, things of that nature.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That would be awful. There are enough natural stopping points in football and basketball that allow for reviews without destroying the flow of the game. There's no way to do that in soccer. You cannot give coaches that ability.

You are correct on your first point...goals in soccer are immensely more valuable and therefore should be the only part of the game that is reviewable in-game.

9. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

i'm fine with reviewing the incidents after the games by a committee but it's a part of the game that needs to be removed

10. SwoLy-D

STOP SOCCER FROM BEING STOPPED further and going into "timeouts."

If it's for someone being injured, fine. If it's a "fair play" and someone kicks the ball out of bounds and the other team returns the ball in a nice gesture, OK, but... just to review a goal? No way. Let the skills of the players win the game. Let the goals be DEFINITELY GOALS, and the "somewhat close to a goal" goals be questionable, like ALWAYS. There's no room for that type of discussion, had we never gotten technology like cameras, lasers, sensors, etc.

Keep the beautiful game going. :eek: Don't stop it.

11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I knew Swoly-D was a troll, but this is ridiculous.

12. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

This is good for the sport.

13. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

can they install a similar device on all soccer players to help on ruling whether players are flopping?

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Wait until America or Mexico gets screwed. Then Swoly will be all for it.

Did you watch any Wimbledon tennis Swoly? They have replay, and it's super quick. Don't see how it will slow the game down.

15. SwoLy-D

Why would that make me change my mind? :confused:

I'm cheering for MEXICO and I am cheering for USA, but if we can't stop someone from coming close to our goal, it's our DEFENSE's fault. If we can't score LEGITIMATELY, it's our offense's fault. I'm not going to rely on some replay to legitimize a goal. So what if Tevez was offside... his awesome shot later was a thing of beauty and beat us FAIR and SQUARE.
    Did you watch any Euro cup Kam? They don't have 23092347029378 commercials. I see "reviewing" plays slowing the game down. SRSLY, GUISE. SRSLY. :( I mean, Wimbledon can get away with that because the "timeouts" are already built into the switching of the serve, the restart or switching the court, the second serve, the fault, etc., etc., while in Soccer, if it doesn't seem like it went in then it keeps going (that's what SHE said). By the time the call is confirmed or reversed, the guy has his balls in his hands ready to serve them... no "stoppage" there.

Come on. You all MUST see this. Don't tell me I don't have good points. No margrave here... I'm supporting my reasons.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Like right after a point is scored, and it's disputed, they look immediately at the video board, and the little computer model thing shows if the ball hit the chalk/line or not, and it's settled, and they serve again.

17. SwoLy-D

So... only if it's scored? What if "it's not scored"? Are they going to stop the game? :rolleyes: Come on, man. STOP STOPPING THE BEAUTIFUL GAME to sell us crap.