1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] Clint Dempsey returning to MLS

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rhino17, Aug 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Really? Wow that would be shocking.

I am happy that the MLS is getting some recognition that it is on the upswing but Dempsey is a really good PL player.

DD

3. Convictedstupid

Hope not. Deuce is too good for the MLS.

4. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Poor decision by Clint and bad for the USMNT. He should be playing against top competition prior to the World Cup.

5. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

6. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

He's way too good for the MLS, also I'm surprised he did try to play for a Texas team at least

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Thought he wanted his shot in champs league play.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Seattle?? Damn. Why is he coming back? He belongs in the Champions League. And why not Houston, Clint?!? You don't wanna rep Texas??

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a huge unnecessary step backwards. I think the only people who are in favor of this are Seattle fans.

Am I really supposed to believe that the Clint couldn't have started for any number of mid-table EPL teams (or any other top-flight European league)? He scored, what, 17 goals two seasons ago? I understood, and rationalized, the move to Tottenham when he did it. The idea of an American playing in the Champions League was amazing and felt like a step forward for everybody. Unfortunately, that didn't pan out. He could've stayed at Fulham and been a god, but the lure of Champions League was too much. Understandable.

However, this feels like such a regression. He's too good for MLS and any USMNT fan will tell you that. There is no justifiable excuse other than "playing team before 2014" (which is what I believe the spin on this will be).

I had a discussion with a friend today about this and the similarity to Landon Donovan's flirtations with Europe. If anything, American soccer fans have only embraced Landon because of his national team success. We desperately wanted him to be aggressive and force MLS to allow him to move to Everton or any other club that wanted him. Instead, he seemed content to play in Los Angeles and be a big fish in a small pond. Regrettably, it seems like Dempsey has chosen the same path.

10. Beavis Stiffler

At least it's not the LA Galaxy. There are also rumors that Giovanni Dos Santos was offered to play for the L.A. Galaxy. I just hope he does not play for them.

11. DaDakota

There is nothing wrong with guys choosing to play at home in their careers.

Donavon was great at Everton on loans, Dempsey has proven himself, nothing wrong with them wanting to play closer to their home towns.

The MLS is getting better, probably Championship level soccer.....

DD

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So what if MLS "Championship level"? Dempsey has proven himself to be Premier League level. How is this not a huge step backward for him? It was only two years ago that he scored 23 goals in all competitions for Fulham.

The spin on this is going to be great. I have no idea what the justification will be, but it will ring hollow.

13. Convictedstupid

If the rumors are true that Seattle is paying the 9 million transfer fee to Tottenham and then paying Dempsey 32 mil over 4 years, good for him.

14. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Sounders come to Houston on August 17th.

Sounders play tomorrow (doubt Dempsey plays) and then again on August 10th. If Dempsey doesn't play the 10th, Houston could be his Sounders debut.

15. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Conflicted. On one hand, I like having Americans in the Premier League, but on the other hand, I want to see MLS continue to grow as a league.

16. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Can't blame him for trying to escape the perpetually pointless situation that is White Hart Lane.

But he should have found his way to Serie A.

17. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

That's a good argument for playing in Seattle, then.

18. DaDakota

They can always sell him back if he wants to go.....or he can play during the offseason on loan.

DD

19. astros123

astros123 Member

anyone claiming this is good for clint obviously has no clue what they are talking about. I find it impossible he couldn't play in italy with bradley or even in the french league where the competition is much higher. Hes not going to gain anything by playing in the MLS. So disappointed in Clint :confused:

and DD you cant be serious? MLS is championship level soccer? what are you on dude?

20. DaDakota

Sure - the Championship level is just below premier it is not all that great from top to bottom.

If you think it is lower - fine....

DD