1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[socal] earthquake!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketManJosh, Apr 4, 2010.

1. underoverup

underoverup Member

this is interesting.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Amer...arthquake-damage-is-nothing-compared-to-Haiti

Why Mexicali earthquake damage is nothing compared to Haiti

Sunday's 7.2-magnitude Mexicali earthquake killed only two, despite being stronger than the Jan. 12 Haiti quake that killed more than 200,000 and made 1 million homeless. Why?

Sunday's 7.2 Mexicali earthquake was the third major quake to rattle the western hemisphere in less than three months.

The quake was more powerful than the 7.0 earthquake that left more than 200,000 dead and more than 1 million homeless in Haiti on Jan.12. It was also a relatively shallow earthquake, at six miles underground, meaning there was less earth to absorb the shaking.

But with only two reported dead, the damage is far more contained than the quake that destroyed Haiti’s capital, Port-au-Prince, and the massive 8.8-magnitude quake that left 700 dead in Chile on Feb. 27.

IN PICTURES: Mexicali earthquake

One reason for the lower death toll and damage is that the epicenter of Sunday’s quake was in an agricultural belt with few buildings 38 miles from the city of Mexicali in northern Mexico. The Haiti quake was only 18 miles from its densely populated capital of 2.5 million people.

”Just a little bit of distance can make a huge difference,” says Don Blakeman, a geophysicist at the US Geological Survey.

“The secondary factor would be seismic codes,” says Eduardo Miranda, a civil engineer specialized in earthquakes at Stanford University, who has studied earthquakes in the Mexicali region and is heading there this week. “Both in Mexico and the US we have seismic codes that in general are being enforced. There is a culture of earthquakes.”

Felt by 20 million people
    The earthquake that struck at about 3:40 p.m. local time on Easter Sunday was one of the biggest in the region in years, and was felt by an estimated 20 million people, as far away as Las Vegas.

Final reports are not in, with communications down and reports of residents still trapped in rubble. But an earthquake that could have wrought enormous damage appears to have killed few and injured about 100 people, mostly by objects falling from shelves and counters in Mexicali.

Still, residents remained shaken Monday, especially with constant aftershocks.

“It is nothing like the damage in Haiti or Chile,” says Gabriela Marquez, who works in communications for the government tourism office in Mexicali. She says most hotels sustained limited damage and once again have water and electricity. “Mostly it is just fear, each time there is an aftershock.”

But geography alone did not help limit damage. Just as in Chile, where a massive 8.8-magnitude quake, one of the strongest in a century, killed far fewer people than in Haiti, building codes and enforcement of them here most likely played a critical role, too.

Strict building codes
    Mexico has decades of experience with earthquakes. One of the region’s most infamous devastated Mexico City in 1985.

Sergio Alcocer, the secretary general of Mexico's National Autonomous University and an engineer, says that strict codes exist in Mexicali, not just because of Mexico's history of earthquakes but also because of its proximity to the US.

"They have been influenced by American engineering," he says.

Experts from both countries share research and therefore end up with similar building codes, says Stephen Mahin, a structural engineer at the University of California, Berkeley. He says that Mexicali's proximity with the US has led to a robust interchange of information on how to build correctly.

Mr. Miranda says that, unlike in the US, residential housing does not have the same standards as commercial buildings, which means many people build their own homes without the input of an engineer. But he says people still build smarter because of their experience with earthquakes.

Just across the border from Mexicali, the US city of Calexico's fire chief Peter Mercado says there was significant structural damage to the downtown area, but he also praises the rigorous enforcement of strict building code for the limited damage. “No buildings are completely on the ground,” he says. “We are talking about walls fallen, bricks fallen, cracks on buildings.”

Timing also a factor
    There were no reported deaths on the US side of the border. Mr. Mercado also says the timing – on Easter Sunday when most weren’t out shopping or at offices – may have contained damage as well.

Regardless of its widespread impact, a 7.2-magnitude earthquake is not terribly rare.

The USGS says according to averages recorded since about 1900 the world should expect approximately 18 major earthquakes, between 7.0 and 7.9, every year. In fact, the question is not why damage was so limited in Mexicali but why it was so widespread in Haiti.

“The more constructive way to look at it highlights the fact that Haiti, being such a poor country, has no money to adhere to building codes,” says Mr. Blakeman.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yeah I felt it. First nice big one since we moved out to So Cal. Had to get up and hold a few items on the wall that are pretty damn heavy just case.

3. qwerty

qwerty Contributing Member

4. mazyar

mazyar Member

LOL

Anyway, I was out in the park yesterday when it happened. All of a sudden I felt the ground under my feet shift about 1 meter while hearing and feeling a sonic boom of sort. I feels really awkward like nothing else. I told people around me right away that whe just had an earthquake but they didnt believe me. I was in Irvine CA by the way.

5. Stack24

I was wondering how people at 13bedar felt when it happened.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the metric system!! no wonder why you had to resort to seeing the "ladies"

7. mazyar

mazyar Member

Well I was walking around with a group of 6 or 7 and only me and one other person in our group felt it at the time. But later on the rest heard the news on their phones.

Again being outside while an earthquake hits feels really weird. It like the entire floor of the park was just dropped by a few meters an everything on the ground with it.

8. mazyar

mazyar Member

I'd like to think that I sound more intelligent when I use the metric system. Like more worldly.

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Stack24

See that's the thing. Our apartment is on the 4th floor so we had more of a rocking effect swaying back and forth. So I guess it is a lot more intense when you are actually on the ground as opposed to ground level.

11. T-MaC 101

T-MaC 101 Member

i was in Costa Mesa. it felt weird lol

12. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

So there have been a number of aftershocks since. I have felt more earthquakes in the past day than I have the previous year and a half that I've lived here. One woke me up about 5am today. Crazy stuff.

Anybody else catching these smaller ones? Sign of things to come? 2012? :eek: :p

Seriously though, I wonder if its all related. The quakes, not 2012.

13. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

get a room guys

14. Steve_Francis_rules

I saw this yesterday and just came into the thread to post this. I love xkcd.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

M-Fer I am getting tired of these damn quakes and running upstairs to get my daughter ... time to move back to Texas maybe

17. YourSecretLover

yep felt it here too for like 2 seconds

18. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Where you guys at?

Man I just bought tickets to go to So Cal and I was actually looking up recent earthquakes... :eek:

19. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

There seems to be an earthquake almost everyday near Baja, is that normal?

20. YourSecretLover

yep its normal. however, they are really small earthquakes which we cant feel.

Im in Huntington Beach enjoying my summer with the homies which some of them are laker fans and seeing them suffer right now is making my summer haha