1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So who's starting at PF for us?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by QazQay, Jul 9, 2013.

?

Starting PF?

1. Greg Smith

3.6%
  2. Terrance Jones

63.3%
  3. Chandler Parsons

3.6%
  4. Donatas Motiejunas

19.6%
  5. Someone else

9.8%
  1. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

No hes not the long term answer as a starter, but I hope hes with us for the long term.

2. basketballholic

TJones may be traded within a week. No way to tell if he's the long-term solution...but odds are against it.

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

This is a guy who didn't crack our rotation last year when dmo Greg smith and ppat were his competition. He's young and he was a rookie, true. But no one should be expecting this guy to be a solid starter this season.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

DMo, Smith and Jones are all very young players who need time to develop. I could see all three of them developing into NBA starters. In two years time, we will see how they develop and know what their NBA futures lie.

Methinks the best course is to let them develop. With the current roster, the PF will likely be the fifth option on offense behind Harden, Howard, Parsons, Lin and then the PF. I am fine with DMo/Smith/Jones as the PFs.

5. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I like TJones would like to see him put on some more muscle so he can bang with some of the bigger PFs. I think he can concentrate working on his D this year and not have to contribute much on offense since he'll basically be the 4th or 5th option

6. Roxs-Redemption

Terrence Jones will start at PF because he has a bright future in this team. (unless he get traded like Patrick Patterson). :(
    Hopefully he wont, Go TJONES! You deserve starting PF.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Agreed. And I think we'll see a lot of Parsons and Garcia in the game at the same time at the 3/4. I'm not too worried about upgrading the 4 since one of those guys could eventually pan out, and the league is obviously trending toward away from the traditional brusing/post-up PF.

8. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

Haven't seen much about TJones, but LMA is the best 4 shooter I have ever seen.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Unless we make a trade I say Terrence will fill the spot nicely.

We just needs to be reassured that he has learned to defend NBA bigs at the least mediocrily without fouling every trip down court.

10. sefril

sefril Member

D-Mo will be the first one thrown into the fire..

but couple years back i predicted Ariza would be the league leader in steals.. :(

11. sefril

sefril Member

there's a guy named Dirk..

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dirk? Dirk!

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

As far as predictions go, I'm torn between thinking we'll: A) Make a trade before the season starts -and- B) Give Jones/D-Mo a shot before making a trade.

The latter seems more likely to me; in which case, I think it'll probably be Jones getting the nod. Obviously, it should go to whoever looks the best in practice (something McHale clearly believes in given Morris' surprising early start), but Jones would be my guess. Small sample sizes, I know, but Jones was the better overall floor spacer last year.

14. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Just curious... does anyone have advanced statistics to determine which of these 3 guys would be the best fit?

Ryan Anderson
    Jeff Green
    Ersan Ilasova

They can all 3 shoot the 3 ball...and all seem to fit the type of PF rockets would need.

Does one of them stand out as a much better defensive player? I know anderson and ilasova both have higher PER then Green.

15. megastahr

is this the right place for that? lol

16. zxcvbn193

zxcvbn193 Member

Imagine D-Mo having a great off-season for LTU National squad this summer, TJones having a good pre-season in the summer league and imagine Morey shipping both of them + Asik and maybe few 2nd rounders for Kevin Love. If pre season is not enough give them first 20 games of the season to increase their value like we did with pat/Morris last year.

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Love
    Howard.

We would lose D-Mo, Asik and TJones, maybe few second rounders, but if both Jones and DMo had an good pre/early season I don't see Twolfes skipping on Asik and two prospects that showed they can be starters with good contracts and a lot of skill. With that being said, I'ma send a text message to Morey right away with this idea :p

17. megastahr

Aldridge is more realistic...Minnesota is obviously in win now mode with adding budinger, and martin and trying to add brewer.

Maybe if Minnesota loses PEK this would at least be a conversation they would have...but if not. I do not think there is a chance. (sorry said loses asik earlier)

Portland tried to get noah for aldridge...so I honestly think Asik, Jones, 2014 1st pick gets a conversation going.

18. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

God, that'd be nice but we'd have to bank on Love requesting a trade. Right now, Minny looks like the favorite for the 8th seed. i think he'll be satisfied for now

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I actually like TJones scoring mentality off the bench. I think Howard and DMo might be a better combo. Dwight can focus on being in the paint, and DMo is just a much smarter basketball player. TJones has to be involved in the offense, or he zones out on the court. He could have that chance as player off the bench.

Im really kinda getting excited with how our team may come together. And yes while it is early, the Rockets will be a dang good team.

Starters: Howard(31 min), DMo(24 min), Parsons(33 min), Lin(27 min) and Harden(33 min)
    Bench: Asik(22 min), TJones(15 min), Beverley(21 min), Anderson(10 min), and Garcia(18 min)

20. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Kenyon Martin??

I actually wouldn't mind us picking up Kenyon Martin for the vets minimum! He can be a leader for the team and he can grab rebounds and shoot the midrange jumper I think!