1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So who's starting at PF for us?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by QazQay, Jul 9, 2013.

?

Starting PF?

1. Greg Smith

3.6%
  2. Terrance Jones

63.3%
  3. Chandler Parsons

3.6%
  4. Donatas Motiejunas

19.6%
  5. Someone else

9.8%
  1. Amir's Johnson

"If you scared of wolves, don't go to the woods."

2. Crutch City

Crutch City Member

T.Jones unless a trade happens.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How about we look to Europe as Morey has often done for a proven spread 4/combo forward:

There is a 6'9'' combo forward who put up 16.1 points and 5 rebounds per game in 26.7 minutes in the Euro League. Shot 37% from the 3 point line (4 attempts per game) and attempted 5 FTs and 12.3 FGs each game.

He also averaged 13.4 points in just 22.5 per game for his team in the German league, shot 36% from the arc and leading his team to the German league championship.

[​IMG]

4. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

I guess T-Jones, though hopefully later on it will be D-Mo, as his skillset matches up better with Howard's.

Hopefully though, none of them start and we get someone better at that position. I doubt it though.

5. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

T Jones until we (hopefully) upgrade by the trade deadline.

6. dc1985

dc1985 Member

Anybody else think that T-Jones will be long term answer at PF

I guess I need to clarify that a bit. Assuming Morey doesn't go into wizzard mode and land LMA(which I'm iffy on) or Kevin Love(which I would love) does anybody else think that T-Jones is the long term answer. Personally I think he will become better than LMA because he has better range. I think he fits so naturally into what we need. He is that stretch 4 that once he improves on the consistency of his shot and ball handling will be a dangerous all around offensive threat. Defensively he needs some work as far as staying out of foul trouble but he is long and will create disruptions and be able to grab every rebound that Dwight doesn't. Any package for LMA or Love would most assuredly have to include him but I really think he could be the long term answer.

Also everything I just said applys to my thoughts on D-Mo as well. Except D-Mo to me seems like he won't be the rebounder that T-Jones already is and will develop into. Just would like to know what the rest of clutch fans thinks.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I like TJones a lot but better than LMA. Whatya' smokin'? He has a long way to go to be considered a staring 4. LMA's level is just a dream. LMA is automatic from the top oif the key. Not many better. I will be happy if h can shoot at PPat's level.

8. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

He could definitely be a solid contributor at the position. I don't think he'll be an All-Star, but at the very least he could be an NBA starter. Given his performance in the D-League, he should get more minutes to prove himself...

The thing is, all three of these guys (T-Jones, D-Mo, Greg Smith) have shown competence at lower levels of play and flashes when given minutes in the NBA. The problem is sustaining that level of performance over the long haul, which is probably half the difficulty of playing in the league in the first place.

I'm guessing they'll take the preseason to see who seems to be picking up whatever schemes they are implementing and who seems to be ready for the most minutes and give that guy the first shot at solidifying his roster spot. Then if that guy goes down or doesn't perform, they'll give heavy minutes to the next guy, and so on.

McHale pretty much did this kind of rotation thing (when he wasn't giving a ridiculous number of minutes to Delfino) last season. Hopefully with more preparation time and a more stable roster they can figure out who fits best over this upcoming season.

9. i3artow i3aller

I'm a big time Terrence Jones guy as I've followed Kentucky since just before they had Antoine Walker and super friends. As such I watched every game during Jones' two year tenure, and the only thing that worries me is his offensive inconsistency. The NBA's best players are those that consistently parlay their unique skill sets into a relatively constant rate of production on a nightly basis. While it's true that Jones has range for days, he also has a VERY streaky jumper with a rather slow developing release. His talent tantalizes as he's a 6'9 forward with guard skills, but he'll never be LMA or K. Love on offense(both of whom are really quite special). With that being said he's still a really young and very intriguing prospect, who's best traits are defense and a pump fake jab step combination which he utilizes for merciless forays to the hoop. Stat geeks can check the numbers. He was far and away a better shot blocker than Ppatt, and if his jumper comes around then we could possibly have a less athletic Josh Smith(Smoove just gets off the ground WAY TOO FAST) on our hands with a slightly better jump shot.

10. gravityonme

gravityonme Member

Hopefully T Jones. He's got the better mix of defensive skills and shooting ability. D is gonna a big deal this season. We're keeping Asik just to reduce the D dropoff we had with our backup centres last year.

My only worry is that now that we have Dwight and the two stars have aligned, Morey and Mchale might flip our rookie PFs for vets. I really hope player dev is still part of the team culture.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

I like everything about TJones except for his brain. D-Mo is the "lesser" athlete but he has the better upside, due to his IQ, passion to be the best, sophisticated post game and his size. Anyone can get stronger but you can't teach length.

Out of the two, I bet on D-Mo having the better career.

12. koopa

koopa Member

He seems too undersized in my book.

13. dc1985

dc1985 Member

Yeah I screwed up. What I ment by better than LMA is that in our system he could be better than LMA. I really like LMA as a player got to be honest though haven't really seen him since his UT days because no one cares about Portland and they are never on tv. From what I remember of LMA and please correct me if it has drastically improved but his range is more 12-18 foot range consistently and iffy past that. I think T-Jones could develop better consistency from that corner 3. But if I'm being 100% honest I want Kevin Love. And his trade value is as high as it will ever be right now and will only go down. Especially if the T-Wolves do drastically improve this year. He won't KG the T-Wolves and stay out of loyalty he wants to win and the more they lose the more Likely he walks the less the trade value becomes. The same is true about LMA. The upside of LMA is maybe hometown discount

That said I wouldn't totally right off D-Mo and T-Jones.

14. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Nice one.

Well, he seemed to be pretty consistent last season in D-league. But so far the first summer league game he shot very well and wasn't so good the next. He needs to get more consistent for sure. How was his man D in Kentucky? If he can do that on a high level IMO he'll be fine as the starter.

15. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

D-Mo and TJ both have promise and I'm 100% down with developing them. I don't know if our system or our coach are right for them, but unless an LMA, Love type deal is done, im comfortable with them. Frankly speaking, I'm more feeling D-Mos game but TJ is right there.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Defense, defense, defense. Jones has the most defensive versatility of all our power forwards. He's a great shot blocker and can play the passing lanes for steals. He can match up with 3's, 4's and some 5's. Most importantly, he's just active. Teams will load up on Howard, so Jones should be able to sneak in for offensive rebounds quite easily.

His offense isn't ready for the NBA, but it won't be a huge liability. We're stacked on O already. We need somebody to help Howard anchor our D.

1 person likes this.
  17. verysimplejason

He's a good backup at best unless he suddenly becomes better at defense and shooting. Physically he has all the tools to become a starter albeit average. He just needs to work harder.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yeah was gonna comment on T jones IQ. Thats what gets you a trust level with the coach. If youre a role player who doesnt seem to pick up the gameplan, chances decrease of getting full trust. Its why patrick patterson gets time over jordan hill and those types.

D-mo has that "intangible" factor, but hes still got a little way to go in consistency.

I think T Jones has talent to be long term. Hed definitely get time on a team like the bobcats. Though I wouldnt bet on him yet. Rockets are in win now and might not have patience for the growing pains. Hes need to it off hard from the beginning

19. zigzag

zigzag Member

I prefer D-Mo

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't believe all the TJones is a dimwit in terms of basketball talk.
    How in the world did he become a champion and an integral part of the Kentucky program if he cannot follow game plans?