1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what if we take Redick?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Outlier, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Well, it cannot possibly be worse than it already was.

How many games would we have won this year, even with all the injuries, if we had simply had someone who could reliably hit an open jumper? Especially, when you add in how dominant Yao was becoming, and with TMac being himself again (hopefully), having someone with a deadeye outside shot would not be a bad thing.

And, on the plus side, since it looks like we will be picking around #9 or so, what about the possibility of trading down 5 or 6 spots, getting a solid role-player thrown in, and still get JJ ?

I dunno, but it seems to me that the Rockets' offense actually works pretty well (stop laughing). I mean, the OFFENSE works when players get open looks. It is not the offense's flaw when players simply can't make the shots. The shots are there in this system, and will be there even more with both Yao and TMac playing together. This same exact offense can average over 100 a game if only guys would hit their shots. SO having JJR on this team screams to me 'solution', not 'problem'. And now that Yao has finally figured out how to be The Man, it will be that much easier for him to get open looks for his teammates.

Seriously, how badly did this team miss Scotty the Body this year? This team currently has NO spot-up shooters. Where's our Mario Elie, our Craig Hodges, our Kerr?

JJ would be fine. Unless people think the Rox ought to draft another big Euro-stiff? LOL Zan Tabak anyone?

2. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

^true.

Also, the draft workouts havent even began. Lots of time for the picks to change. Maybe Redick will come out with a strong workout and look much more worthy. Maybe Roy or Gay will struggle, and fall a couple slots.

3. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

LOL funny post

&

ITA

Reddick is going to be Casey Jacobsen part deux BOOK IT!

4. Since75

Since75 Member

Neither Reddick or Gansey can create their own shot. The Rockets never have and probably never will set the amount of screens necessary for either of these guys to get their shots off. I know they set some screens for Tmac but that's Tmac. Occasionally they set one for Wesley on a curl. Wesley plays D on the other end though, thus his value. Reddick doesn't and probably can't mover sufficiently to play D and neither does Gansey. Both are off the bench players at best. Neither are lottery picks.

5. johnfitz55

johnfitz55 Member

Its been said before but Reddick cannot be left open anywhere within 25 ft. So he seems to be a great fit because teams will need to double yao or t-mac. Leaving plenty of room for a player who somehow averaged 27 pts a game in a very athletic conference to shoot the open J. Also he managed to get to the line 7+ times per game which is kinda rare for someone who can't penatrate . Comparing him to Gansey is an injustice to his game as well.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I really hope you weren't under the assumption that people were saying that Gansey IS worth a lottery pick...

7. ClutchCityReturns

Not really. Nobody ever said their games were identical, but if you take away Redick's shooting advantage he has NOTHING in his game that is clearly better than Mike Gansey. In fact, you can only really argue that Redick's a better shooter because of how deep/difficult his shots are, because his 2 FG% and 3 FG%'s are LOWER than Gansey's. Regardless, let's look at some basic categories real quick...

Stats:

Height: Equal, obviously
    Rebounding: Advantage Gansey
    Ball handling/Passing (A/T Ratio): Advantage Gansey
    Steals: Advantage Gansey
    Blocks: Advantage Gansey

Intangibles:

Basketball IQ: Equal, if not Advantage Gansey
    Toughness: Equal
    Stamina: Equal (Gansey's MPG are lower, but he plays BOTH ends with constant energy)

Here's a comparison of both guys using stats from their respective games against LSU. Yes, I'm using this game in particular because Redick got shut down when LSU countered him with their defensive length and athleticism. Gansey didn't seem to have that problem, even though he too was the focal point of his team's offense. I'm merely stating the case that it's not a knock on Redick's game to compare him to Gansey. J.J. would have killed for Gansey's statline against LSU and had he gotten it, he may not have left the court in tears.

Redick:

11 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist (4 turnovers), 3 steals, on 3/18 from the field and 3/9 from 3. He played 39 of the 40 minutes.

Gansey:

25 points, 7 rebounds (4 offensive), 2 assists (0 turnovers), 2 steals, 3 blocks, on 9/14 from the field and 7/11 from 3. He played 42 of the 45 minutes.

8. bplld

Redicks shooting outdoes Gansey's entire stat line. Redick is also more athletic than Gansey, so defense and steals, etc shouldnt be much of a differance in the nba.

The LSU game was one where Redick wasnt as stuffed as Gansey, and Gansey just had one of those good games, its no big deal. Happens all the time. Please stop bringing that game up, i have memorized it enough. Redick's college game will be nothing like his games with the rockets. Get that in your head. We dont need that statline.

9. ClutchCityReturns

This post seems kind of baseless.

How does Redick's shooting outdo Gansey's entire stat line?

How would Redick being marginally more athletic than Gansey mean that the defense would even out in the NBA? I'm not even sure Redick IS more athletic, and either way, Gansey doesn't use his athleticism to play good defense, he uses his head.

And what do you mean when you say "Redick's college game will be nothing like his game with the rockets"? His game is shooting, shooting, and more shooting, and that's it. What exactly would he be doing on the Rockets?

10. Since75

Since75 Member

That's my point. He won't be left open. His man will not rotate off him to double Yao or Tmac. Why rotate off a set shooter? Also Reddick being more athletic than Gansey is not saying much. Gansey is not athletic at all. Any degree of athleticism by Reddick is an upgrade. Bottom line is Reddick will see other guards in the league like the LSU freshman night in and night out. He is a role player off the bench at best. The Rockets don't need another one dimensional 6'3 player.

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

The Rockets need shooters, period. Ideally, we'd want a shooter who can't ever be left open. Oh wait, that's a bad thing?

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Right and the key difference is where we would draft each. No way in hell should we spend a LOTTERY PICK on an undersized, one-dimensional shooter.

The thing to note is Gansey is not much worse than Reddick and we would spend a second round pick on him which is a lot easier to swallow. We can use a role player like him who will give you quality minutes, hustle, and can shoot the ball.

13. bplld

Redicks college game is where he was stuffed with double teams and defended very tightly. I meant that that would never happen with the rockets, but he would often find himself wide open. He will never for that matter on any team, be the focal point of the offense. Redick is more athletic than gansey so there isnt much of a case with who will have better defense in the nba because gansey isnt going to be a good defender. HE is going to be a bad one. He will be as one dimensional as Redick. Redick is a greater shooter than gansey and there isnt anything to look at after that. Thats the only stats that they have, so redick outdoes gansey's entire statline.

14. ClutchCityReturns

I don't think I've ever said this since I joined the BBS, but that is a flat out dumb post.

15. Y-Mac

Y-Mac Member

Well, they now have us picking Shelden Williams,which would be great. So if they are the most accurate predictors of who we would pick like you say,I hope they aren't wrong about Shelden.We need a defensive presence in the key other than Yao,and neither JH and Stro are good defenders(stro can block a lil' bit and JH has no defense),and Shelden is a great defensive player.He has long arms,he's a good shotblocker,he's a great rebounder,he's very strong,and he's a well rounded 4 who has all the tools to be a good player in the NBA.After all, he's not called "The Landlord" for nothing :) .On offense he would be solid,he has a good jumper,he's a good dunker and has a solid BB IQ. I think he's a lot better pick than JJ because with Shelden you have no worries about his D,and offensively i think he will average arond 11-12 ppg. And if the Rockets want shooters,pick Gansey in the second round.I don't really know how he plays,but if all of you are saying that he is not much worse than redick,why waste a #8 pick on a one dimensional player when you can have that in the second round.

And CD,Morey,Les,JVG,whoever, don't be fools and not pick SHELDEN!!!

16. Since75

Since75 Member

Let me say it this way. We don't need non athletic, I can't guard anyone, I can't beat my man off the dribble, I need a pick JJ. Reddick as a early draft pick.

17. Since75

Since75 Member

Answer this for me. Why would the man guarding Reddick rotate off him to double Yao or Tmac? If Rafer is on the floor his man will rotate or another player. Listen it seems the Rockets are trying to recapture the Rockets of 93-95 when they had atleast 3 shooters on the floor at all times. SG, PG, SF. We don't have 3 shooters and until we get that again a player like Reddick with the current players will not work. There must be another shooter on the floor besides Tmac.

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Reddick has a mid-range game. He can shoot fadeaways. He can get the foul line. Why does everyone always forget this. Last year, only about half his shot attempts were 3-pointers. He nearly took over 300 2 point baskets and shot those at over a 50% rate. Also how many shooters attempt 250 free throws in a season?? That means he can get to the line, he had the ball in pressure situations (when Duke was ahead), and he is not completely opposed to contact.

Now I admit he would a defensive liability, but he is better offensive player than most people are giving he credit for. Even those lanky defenders that everyone says will shut him down in the NBA would probably be SF, and would probably be on Tracy, giving Redick the easier player to play offense against. And, no I'm not saying they don't play defense in the NBA, but that it won't be as bad as people are making it out to be.

(despite all that, you don't take Reddick 8 unless the workouts pull everyone else to lower picks. You trade down to a lower pick to get redick and use that leverage to 2nd pick next year or a 3rd pg this year.)

19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

there will be a big difference between redick and gansey

redick is going to be a star, gansey will be forgotten

20. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

What are you talking about? Those lanky college defenders won't be 3's in the pros. They're tall and lanky by college standards, not pro. That Temple kid from LSU is 6-5 ... T-Mac would eat him alive.