1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what if we take Redick?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Outlier, Mar 31, 2006.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Gansey does have a quick release. Just thought I'd clear that up.

Also, they just now finished his profile (4/3/2006) on draftexpress, so here's the link for anyone interested in reading a detailed write-up on him. Don't forget to click the tabs at the top (Weaknesses, Competition, Outlook, etc.).

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=598#

2. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

Man, this seems kind of silly to keep at it like this, but I never said he didn't have a quick release. In fact, I think he does have one so we agree. What I said was that Redick has a quicker release. Now, if you don't agree with that point, then say it plainly and I'm fine with agreeing to disagree.

3. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

SO gansey cant play defense on the NBA level! He will be pretty much just as bad as reddick. Infact, most people say gansey is less athletic than reddick. Gansey is less capable of creating his own shot then reddick too. Seems to me like BOTH GUYS ARE GOING TO BE ONE DIMENSIONAL. Gansey will only be a spot up shooter. He isnt pg capable and he cant really drive. Why are you guys to hyped on him? If both are obviously going to be nothing more than shooters, why not get the better one.

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The difference is Gansey will be a 2nd round pick and Reddick would be a lottery pick.

Both may be one dimensional but I'd rather take a flyer on Gansey in the 2nd round rather than wasting a lottery pick on Reddick in the 1st.

5. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

It seems like much of what everybody is saying is getting lost between readings. But the difference, in a nutshell, is that nobody is talking about Gansey as a lottery pick. In fact, the only reason that people are talking about Gansey at all is as a direct comparison to Redick...in order to make the point that what many of going bonkers over about Redick can be found in the 2nd round in a guy like Gansey. If both are available in the 2nd, my goodness, I'd take Redick in a heartbeat. But that won't happen, therefore the discussion.

6. ClutchCityReturns

Thank you.

Gansey @ #32 > Redick in the Lottery

However, and I might be in an extreme minority here, but I don't think Redick is THAT much better than Gansey when compared straight up in terms of what they can do in the NBA. While Gansey isn't a great defender, he IS a better defender than Redick and that will be important. Gansey is also a better rebounder, by far. Gansey has the ability to put the ball on the floor and pull up for a midrange jumper which he shoots at a VERY high percentage. He also has better court vision than Redick.

Surely, Redick is INCREDIBLE at what he does, which is shoot jumpers. Don't get me wrong, I understand that completely, but there is a good chance it doesn't translate to the NBA nearly as well. So you have to consider what else he offers, which is pretty much nothing.

Gansey shoots very well too, but obviously not as ridiculous as Redick. I get that, but the difference here is that shooting isn't his meal ticket. If he can't get his shot off consistantly at the next level he can help in more in other areas than J.J. can.

Going back to the post that I quoted, I see no reason to go for J.J. with a Lottery Pick when Gansey will very likely be on the board when our 2nd Rounder comes around. You just don't take a guy in the lotto that becomes basically USELESS if you take away a particular aspect of his game.

7. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

With JVG telling CD what players he needs, we might go after Gansey. Overall though, I think Reddick is a good fit with the Rockets because of all the open looks he'll get.

If we pick up Reddick, defense can be taught, and with JVG, it will be taught.

I really don't care who we pick up, as long as they're a 2-gaurd who can shoot and can play decent defense.

8. ClutchCityReturns

I definitely think JVG would like to have Gansey.

His turnovers are low (1.3 compared to Redick's 2.5) and he plays solid defense without a tendency to foul (only 1.0 PF's per game), unlike Luther Head who seems to drive JVG crazy with his ticky tack fouls.

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Gansey's definitely a JVG guy. Aside from the stats, he's got Ryan Bowen-style hustle which is why he gets a lot of rebounds and steals. He really compensates for his athleticism with his work ethic and hustle. And unlike Rybo, Gansey can actually handle the ball and make a jump shot. Plus he doesn't look like a clown when he's playing basketball.

Plus if he is going to do anything in this offense, he has to learn to move without the ball because rafer, t-mac, or yao will be holding it. And playing in West Virginia's modified princeton/motion offense has really taught him that skill to perfection. He has the ability to find spaces and get open by himself because west virginia's entire offense was simply staying patient on offense and look for open 3-pointers or backdoor cuts without relying on multiple screens like Reddick

#89 geeimsobored, Apr 5, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I wouldn't leap to conclusions too early on both Redick and Gansey until at least after the Chicago measurements come out, and we see how they grade out. In a draft that screams parity throughout, measurements and athleticism will be key.

I have a feeling that Redick is going to shoot up the draft board after private workouts conclude, as he is a person who will shoot the lights out (obviously), as well as test out extremely well (if you've read articles about this guy's work ethic, you can bet he's going to be prepared for every test, and will do better than many more athletic guys just because of his preparation).

Gansey strikes me as a similar type of riser, though not nearly as much because I don't expect him to be a workout warrior like J.J. I do think he might crack the first round however; a lot of the playoff teams at the end of the first round need polished shooters; and if Richard Roby goes off the board before the Cavs pick, they might reach for either Gansey or Novak.

Right now, I'm just hoping that Horford and Noah come out to deepen the pool of big men available...

11. ClutchCityReturns

Good points HI Mana.

I'm just not as sure as you are that Redick will impress at the workouts. He'll probably end up being really picky about who he goes 1-on-1 against and stuff like that. That right there might be enough to offset any positive impressions he is able to make when he actually does workout.

I can't wait to see though. At least this offseason will be a little bit more interesting than last year, since we have a lottery pick this time around.

#91 ClutchCityReturns, Apr 5, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  12. timmy

timmy Member

Duke players are overrated.
    Remember how many guys chose J.Wiliams over Yao in 02. Luckily we made the right decision.

13. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I don't know about overrated but they sure have bad luck and get hurt a lot:

Bob Hurley
    Grant Hill
    Corey Maggette
    Jay Williams
    Carlos Boozer

14. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

Players that make late pushes up the draft board based on individual workouts usually fall under one or two different categories. The first one is that if you're a player that has not been spotlighted during your college career. The second one is if you're a freakish athlete and the college game (whether it was your school's system or the players ahead of you or your coach) did not allow you to showcase that athleticism fully.

I don't see Redick falling into either one of those categories. He's been in the spotlight since his 2nd year. I can't foresee a GM being surprised at how well Redick shoots, for example, after a private workout when there's 4 years of college film to show that. He's the leading scorer in ACC history, for crying out loud. As for athleticism, well, unless he's actually 6'6" and starts taking long, rangy defenders to the rack, I don't see this as an area where he'll get a boost, either. I think his private workouts will confirm what scouts and GMs already see in him, namely that he can shoot lights out and that he has a good attitude. Yet, I don't see those things moving him up in a draft in a major way.

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

Elton Brand.

16. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Good points there; I suppose I should have clarified where I think J.J. will end up with good workouts in my last post. You have to think right now that Redick hurt his stock badly in that last game against LSU; GMs now have a legitimate excuse to not draft him, before being almost constrained to simply because of his sucess (ala Adam Morrison). Right now I'd put his stock at the level of a pick in the early 20s, though there are the persistent rumors that he's Utah's guy (which I can't fathom, this early in the process).

Anyway, I am inclined to believe that Redick could repair his stock to be worthy of a mid first round pick based on how Salim Stoudamire and Luke Jackson were able to rise on draft day.

Salim wasn't supposed to be drafted anywhere near the first round, with a bad attitude, lackadasical defense and little ability at the point guard, and all he did was show up at Chicago and did literally nothing but shoot, and became the #31st pick in the draft.

Luke Jackson was a pretty well known college player who was criticized heavily as being unathletic and unable to defend, worthy of a low first round selection at best, then rocked the physical tests and rose into the lottery.

Of course, these are only two examples, but I would think that J.J. is smart enough to not damage himself in the workouts by going up against Rodney Carney and Randy Foye, and could do well in physical testing by the low expectations everyone has of him; grading out as even an average athlete would be a huge surprise.

17. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

Fair enough...I agree with you and also think that grading out as an average athlete will do Redick a huge amount of good.

18. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

This is great news.... We pick Reddick at #10-11 and then trade him to Utah for this years first and next years first or maybe we can talk them out of Harpring.

19. sun12

sun12 Member

If JJ can handle the ball like Steve Kerr, maybe it is worthwhile to invest a pick on him, but I doubt he can play as a PG.

On the other hand, for those of you who like JJ, would you be happy that Yao fouls out of the game more due to JJ's inability of guarding opposing players? There is a good possibility that Kobe scores 100 while JJ guards him, dunking on Yao multiple times, put Yao out of the game after 3 quarters. I suppose Lakers fans would love to see it happen.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Trajan Langdon