1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what if we take Redick?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Outlier, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

JJ Redick has shown the ability to create on the outside and finish on drives. You have to remember that teams in college would build their defensive gameplans around JJ, and this affected almost every shot he took. Gansey is a good shooter, but I'm positive that he got WIDE open looks compared to JJ.

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Here's a novel idea. Ask your new best friend why in hell the Rockets use a Lottery pick to draft another under-sized SG. Luther Head has nearly as good a FG% in college as Redick. At least Luther is worth something on defense and in transition.

Redick has career one dimensional role player stamped all over him. If we have a 10 or numerically lower pick and draft a role player instead of a near starter, we are in a world of hurt.

I know 2006 is not regarded as a deep draft but over the past 3 season picks 7 through 10 have yielded Charlie Villaneuva, Channing Frye, Ike Diogu, Luol Deng, Andres Iguodala, Kirk Hinrich, TJ Ford and Jarvis Hayes. With Sean May, Joey Graham, Rashad McCants, Antoine Wright, Al Jefferson, JR Smith, Mickaƫl Pietrus, Marcus Banks, and Boris Diaw falling outside of 10. And you think I'm going to happy with Redick? Not just no...but hell no.

Let's look at SG's in the WC...

The Spurs got Manu well below 10, the Mavs got Josh Howard at 29 and Marquis Danels went undrafted, Ruben Patterson (DEN) was a #31, Cat Mobley was a 41, MEM has Mike Miller a 5th overall and Eddie Jones a 10th overall, the Kings' Bonzi Wells was a #11, Francisco Garcia right before Luther Head and Kevin Martin was undrafted. Former Sun Joe Johnson was a 10 and Ricky Davis a #21.

None of these SG's are Kobe or LeBron, but the distance from the majority of them and Kobe/LBJ is closer than Redick is to them. If the Rockets suffer through an injury-riddled season and all they get is a role playing spot-up shooter, they are out of their minds and I will immediately cease defending CD.

#22 GATER, Apr 1, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  3. kevinlee

kevinlee Member

Will he be the same COMBO guard just like Head?There is an old saying:If you wanna to do everything perfectly,finally you will achieve nothing perfectly...

He can shoot like a shooting machine in NCAA,however,his height might limit his shooting performance in NBA when he meet with some guy that is 2 to 3 inches taller than him...

However,as far as I know,if there is NO other better choice in Rocket's pick,he might be OK :)

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

^See there's no reason to go hostile and try to mock me. My 'new best friend' isn't just saying the Rockets are interested in Redick, he is an inside man who has been right many times before.

Your post was exactly my point in my first post on this topic. Bashing Redick to no end. Again, I didn't create this topic to make a case for Redick, I made it for people to at least accept it when we do draft him. Because it's posts like GATER's that give people headaches when people are just trying to root for their teams.

When we win, nothing. When we lose, blame JVG. (Replace JVG with Redick)

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

JJ should go right after Brewer and Collins. If Brewer and Collins are gone, I have no problem with JJ. I don't care if JJ can't get his shot off, because that will take one player away from helping on McGrady and Yao.

6. GATER

Excuse me? Rooting for what team? Duke or the Rockets? Don't know about you but I've been a Rockets' fan and have attended games since 1980.

Bashing? Hardly. I have not only the right but the obligation to point out what a horrible pick Redick would be. I was one a handful that pointed out how under-sized Luther Head was last season. I always prop Luther now that he has somewhat proven himself. But he's still under-sized at SG. Which is why a season later we're still talking about upgrading SG.

Seeing Luther Heads' rise to 24 was easily visable after Head had a solid Chicago Draft Camp. You wanna prop draftexpress for that...then you have to flog them for how badly they missed Franciso Garcia. They had him Lotto.

What is said to someone at draftexpress off the record over a cup of coffee or more likely third or fourth hand has little value to me. What would you expect a Rockets' representative to say? Redick stinks and we aren't interested?

I don't pit one mock draft source against another but nbadraft also had Luther Head in the 1st round last season. They currently have Redick at 16. That's about where I see him.

7. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I still can't understand why everyone wants to bash Redick so quickly. Nobody is saying he should be a Top 3 pick, but for our likely draft position in the #10-12 range, he seems like a good pick right now. We'll have to see how things shake down leading up to the draft, but to be able to fill a need for a pure shooting SG with our draft pick would seem ideal considering our team composition. Like any player, Redick has some flaws, but his track record is as tested as they come. You don't win player of the year and become the all-time leading scorer in ACC history by being a one-trick pony. The ACC is arguably the toughest conference in college basketball, and he is the best player on a team loaded with the best talents in the country. Plus, he's had a bulls-eye on his back for a while now with most teams gameplanning against him. No one can deny that his shot is pure. People just fret over the fact that he is 6'4", which is probably the average height for 2s in the NBA, and that he can't create his own shot (which he has improved). However, on this team, we already have someone in McGrady who dominates the ball looking for his own shot (not in a bad way). Plus, we have a bonafide post presence in Yao. This makes the role of a pure shooting 2 even more valuable. We've all been crying about the Rockets lack of outside shooters to keep the defense honest and open things up for T-Mac and Yao, yet we want to bash Redick, who if anything seems overqualified. He'd probably be better off if he was just coming out of high school and nobody knew how he played against top talent. The allure of potential. Anyway, I'd be fine if we take Redick as the best available 2 guard assuming Brandon Roy is gone. Besides the average defense, he seems to be a JVG guy because he's heady, can shoot, and is a proven winner.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Ok, I don't believe how long you've been is relevent to rooting for this team. What I said in my post is it makes it hard to root for this team when people are hardcore complaining like you, that's all I said, not anything about the amount of years someone has been rooting for this team.

This someone at draftexpress didn't merely put Luther Head at 24, it wasn't an educated guess at you make it seem to be. He has provided me with inside scoops for the past year now and has proved to be credible.

9. GATER

Since you got the inside scoop, care to make a tip jar on whether the Rockets draft Redick?

10. sbyang

sbyang Member

The differences between Redick and Gansey:

Redick seems to have much better conditioning, Gansey has to be taken out of the game sometimes because he gets so tired, you never see this with Redick. Conditioning is important to both of these guys because a large part of their offense would be running around to get open.

Redick's release is quicker than Gansey's. Probably can't see it on the college level, but that's a major difference in the pros.

Redick has a mid range game, Gansey seems to be all 3's or backdoor cuts for lay-ins. Redick's game is more complete, more like Richard Hamilton.

At this point, I'd compare Redick to Jeff Hornacek, with better athleticism. And Gansey to Jon Barry, with worse athleticism. Does that mean I think we should reach for Redick with a top 10 pick? not unless we have to, trade back guys, none of the other lotto teams are that interested in him!

11. waran007

waran007 Member

Comparing Richard Hamilton to JJ Redick is not necessarily accurate. Hamilton is a legit 6'6" and has, ever since college, been a mid-range threat more than a 3-point threat. Reggie Miller compares Hamilton to himself with less range. Also, Hamilton came up big in the NCAA tourney, against bigtime teams, while Redick's stats leave much to be desired in those cases. A brief look at how he has fared when Duke has gone up against the best teams they faced in the tournament during his career:

2003, vs. Kansas, Sweet 16 (Guarded by Kirk Hinrich):
    5 points, 2-16 fg (1-11 3pt fg), 37 minutes

2004, vs. Connecticut, Final 4 (Guarded by Ben Gordon, Denham Brown):
    15 points, 4-12 fg (3-9 3pt fg), 38 minutes

2005, vs. Michigan St, Sweet 16 (Guarded by Maurice Ager):
    13 points, 4-14 fg (3-9 3pt fg), 39 minutes

2006, vs. LSU, Sweet 16 (Guarded by Garrett Temple):
    11 points, 3-18 fg (3-9 3pt fg), 39 minutes

He went 13-60 in these games (21.67%), including 10-38 from three (26%). If he can't perform against these guys, I don't see how he's going to be worth a lotto pick. I would be furious if the Rockets took yet another sweet shooting unathletic player when many other great talents were left on the board. As others have said, you can get guys like Redick for less than the full MLE almost every year. If we draft another undersized shooting guard, you'll have to question the sanity of the front office.

Trajan Langdon would have shot as much and scored as much as Redick had Coach K needed him to (he didn't, thanks to Elton Brand, Cory Maggette and co.). Langdon was inexplicably a lottery pick, and failed miserably.

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Look Reddick is the better player, no one is disputing that. The real question is whether or not he's worth a lottery pick. My personal opinion is that he definitely is not worth drafting that high. We already have one undersized shooting guard in Luther Head, why get another with a lottery pick? If we're going to go after a guard in the 1st round, then get a guard with size even if he doesnt shoot the ball as well as Reddick. Or get a big man to fill in the void at power forward.

As for Gansey, you're right about most of those. Although, to give him credit, he plays defense as the head of 1-3-1 zone which basically amounts to being a human pogo stick since you're just jumping around left and right trying to deflect passes so he'll naturally get really tired. Also, most people say Gansey's problem is that he works too hard. It's not that he's not athletic, its just that he literally kills himself with all the hustling and jumping around in game. He'll be playing 15 minutes a game at most in the NBA so there's no real risk of him getting tired. As for Gansey's offensive game, it's somewhat limited by their system. Their entire offense is either backdoor cuts or three's so he really didnt have a chance to do anything else. Although after watching him single-handedly break down Wake Forest during the last NCAA tournament using three's and penetration makes me think that he'll do nearly as well as Reddick while saving us a 1st round pick.

13. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

IMO expecting to draft a PF to replace Stro is unrealistic. None of the PFs in this draft has better athleticism than Stro, all they have is petential, new drafted big men are far from NBA ready. We can try Shelden he's prob the most matured big man but dont expect he can start at 4 by the end of the next season and averages 15/7.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

one thing about the rockets is that they'll always try to go after the hype. i wouldn't put it past them to waste a lottery pick on redick :mad: . i know redick is a bust and will continue to believe he is a bust until he shows otherwise which he won't.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

How can you already call him a bust when he hasn't even stepped on a NBA court? I have my doubts about Redick as well but this comment is about as premature as it can get.

Like I said, it all depends on where we pick. If we're somewhere in the #8-#12, it might be a stretch. But if we're somewhere in #12-#15, Redick might be the BPA.

BTW, how do the Rockets always to after the hype? Nachbar, Head, Maddox, Griffin, Dickerson, Drew, Mobley? Only players that have had the hype was Yao and Steve, and that turned out pretty good for us.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

see clutch? now some ppl are just tyring to make it on "Classic" quotes by prematurely taking an extreme position ;)

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Can't use that. a) teams planned against reddick. gansey wasn't the focal point.

b) redick shot more shots with the same PPS. that's a lot more energy expended (more minutes, more time getting open, more shooting, etc.)...good marker for ability to play decent mins in the NBA w/out losing touch. Gansey may not be able to do the same in the same time..but that's obviously debatable

c) when redick is on, he extends about 5 feet behind the NBA line without difficult. it's sick, really

18. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

I suggest you jj haters rewatch the duke vs Texas game from this year.

JJ straight dominated tx for 41 points, 9-16 from behind the arc. The same TX team with 3 legit nba prospects on it. JJ has a quick release and moves reggie/rip like without the ball.

JJ is legit. You say JJ doesnt translate well to the next level. WRONG. Shooting is the only thing that translates well.

imagine our offensive set....

rafer dribbles up court...
    wings it to jj....
    jj throws to YAO in the post....
    now who are you going to leave open to double team ??????
    T-MAC?? ya right
    Stro?? ya if you want to get dunked on
    JJ?? hahahahah pwn3d
    rafer?? cuts to basket and one floater

19. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

I've rather have Head then Reddick.

20. Shaji

Shaji Contributing Member

lets be realistic here, at pick 9-11 in this years draft, the likelihood of us getting a stud starter is not too high...the dropoff in talent after the first five picks or so is GREAT...

as a preamble, let me say this: i hate all things duke, and i think redick is a dick

that being said, redick is the purest shooter ive seen in a loooong time (please lets hold off on the langdon comparisons), and hes got range out to 25 feet...
    people talk about him having no point guard skills...he wont play point for this team, tmac/skip/ANYONE else can handle that...and his defense is adequate enough for him to play the designated shooter role (a la korver, damon jones, eddie house, etc.)...defenses will not be focusing on him the way they did in his ncaa days (as kaleidosky said)...and plenty of 6-4 guards make it in this league (as monnumack said)

so i guess, to answer the question, i wouldnt hate it if we drafted redick, at best he starts for us and camps on the 3 pt line draining 2-3 bombs a night...at worst, he turns into kyle korver

finally, for all you who